Bull Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

bbone50

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old angus bull that will nurse off of our other mother cows when the calves are nursing. Has anyone ever heard of this happening. In 40 years I have never had this happen before. I have put the nose flappers, 3 different kind in the bulls nose to prevent the nursing. He just goes to a tree and knocks them out. The mother cows try to fight him off but he just won't quit.
Thanks for any feedback.
BB

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. Going to the sale barn after all the cows are bred/

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. He will be going to the sale born as soon as all the cows are bred. Only one more to be bred.

RBB is spot on. I had a cow sucking bull. Like you, had never encountered it in ~ 40 years. Suspected it but never caught him the act (2,000 acre ranch) Two crops of what otherwise should have been dandy calves looked like orphans. As you've discovered, bulls (nor cows with such loathsome behavior) can't be rehabilitated. Get rid of him ASAP before he does further damage. As to the cause, dunno. Did lots of research and never found anything conclusive as it pertained to beef cattle.

Thank you for response. Yep, he will go to sale barn this Friday. He is a good looking bull weighs at least 1800 pounds and how he does this?? Oh well, I got one round of his calves.

We are calving right now. The bulls are together in a bull lot and won't be turned in until May 1st, by then all the spring calves should be on the ground and well on their way. Why would you allow a bull to run with cows and/or heifers while they are calving in the first place?

bbone50 said:
Thank you for response. Yep, he will go to sale barn this Friday. He is a good looking bull weighs at least 1800 pounds and how he does this?? Oh well, I got one round of his calves.
I hear ya...mine was the 2nd high seller ($$$$) from a nationally known/highly respected and long term operation plus a maternal half sib to one of their notable herd sires. Was used on 1st & second calvers (read naive/dumb girls). Very clever...waited until the calves were suckling their dams and snuck in to suck hind tit. FWIW I had a decades long relationship/friendship with the breeder and they credited me minus salvage. Because this topic occasionally pops up I suspect it often as not goes undetected and perhaps not quite as rare as one would be lead to believe.

Thank you for the response. He's penned up and going to the sale barn Friday. I found him trying on 2 other cows late yesterday. Can't have this problem anymore.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
We are calving right now. The bulls are together in a bull lot and won't be turned in until May 1st, by then all the spring calves should be on the ground and well on their way. Why would you allow a bull to run with cows and/or heifers while they are calving in the first place?
All due respect TT but I think your comments a wee bit harsh. Not everyone has the ability or facilities to manage their cattle "by the book" but nonetheless are diligent & exemplary caretakers. :2cents:

76 Bar said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
All due respect TT but I think your comments a wee bit harsh. Not everyone has the ability or facilities to manage their cattle "by the book" but nonetheless are diligent & exemplary caretakers. :2cents:

I understand but I hate the thought of him selling what he says is otherwise a quality bull.

I understand but I hate the thought of him selling what he says is otherwise a quality bull.
Understood TT. Don't know the state sale barn regulations where he is located but in the west bulls 18 months or older go directly to slaughter unless they've been trich tested negative.

Latest posts