Pig heart transplant....

Help Support CattleToday:

Fellow that got that pig heart was not eligible for a human heart. I'm not quite sure if one or both but reasons giving where a violent criminal record and a history of not following doctors orders.
.....fair enough I guess but wondering who paid for it... 🤔
Probably finding somebody was not easy. As far as paying for it I wonder who pays for a lot of thing. Looking at the national debt each taxpayer owes $919,000.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/a...DbAY-bpbHiup0lQNJ6FD-4fIOQ1TwB4kaAoycEALw_wcB

The pig transplant patient has died.
The 57-year-old Maryland man who had received a genetically modified pig heart in a first-of-its-kind transplant surgery has died, the University of Maryland Medical Center said Wednesday.
David Bennett died on Tuesday after his condition began to deteriorate several days ago, the medical center said. He was given palliative care and was able to communicate with his family during his final hours, according to the news release.

"We are devastated by the loss of Mr. Bennett. He proved to be a brave and noble patient who fought all the way to the end. We extend our sincerest condolences to his family," Dr. Bartley P. Griffith, the surgeon who transplanted the pig heart at the University of Maryland Medical Center, said in a statement. "Mr. Bennett became known by millions of people around the world for his courage and steadfast will to live."

death of pig heart transplant patient

He made it 57 days with a pigs heart. I wonder if rejection lead to his demise?

I just had a surgical debridement with cryopreserved umbilical cord allograft tissue. Yup, they sewed a freakin' umbilical cord in my leg. Stem cell regeneration. Eweee! Told the Dr had I known they were going to do that, I could have brought one from the ranch & saved a ton of money.

I just had a surgical debridement with cryopreserved umbilical cord allograft tissue. Yup, they sewed a freakin' umbilical cord in my leg. Stem cell regeneration. Eweee! Told the Dr had I known they were going to do that, I could have brought one from the ranch & saved a ton of money.
The one from the ranch might make you mooooove better!🤣

He made it 57 days with a pig's heart.
Extending the hospital stay of a 57 year old man 57 days.
If you saw any video of his quality of life of his last days struggling to breathe, the only ones who would conclude it was worth it, would be a surgeon with both a boat payment and country club membership coming due at the same time. :)

If you saw any video of his quality of life of his last days struggling to breathe, the only ones who would conclude it was worth it, would be a surgeon with both a boat payment and country club membership coming due at the same time. :)
You are looking at it as a glass half empty. I think they altered three DNA codes in the pig heart to try and make it compatible to human. He made it 57 days. Maybe just a little more tinkering and they get it right. Most science fails before they get it right. Those big yachts and exclusive memberships are expensive as they have to get it any way they can.

Last edited:
You are looking at it as a glass half empty. I think they altered three DNA codes in the pig heart to try and make it compatible to human. He made it 57 days. Maybe just a little more tinkering and they get it right.
You're right. Man taking over God's creation and showing him how it should be done is the winning ticket. :) lol
As the clay said to the potter, you made me not. I am by my own design. (evolution)
Shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

Last edited:
It was the patient's choice. This time, it didn't work out very good, but the day may come, when the 1st patient gets a new lease on life and returns to a normal life for a yet unknown number (of years)

They learn with every failure.

The first cardio bypass probably didn't go well, nor did the 1st appendectomy.
It might be seen as an abomination of an experiment by some , but it's not mine to question.

Is it really, from a theological standpoint, that much different than building a man a titanium leg?

(I really won't pursue the religious side of this any farther. Wrong section)

Last edited:
Gene editing or manipulation is different than hooking on a metal leg. Would you eat a pig, a rabbit or whatever if you knew that it was a % human? Would you want your child to be part baboon or lizard? That is the question and the followup is the wonder; are all of the modified creatures kept out of the food chain.

Pig and Beef parts are not new. The modified pig valves for hearts were experimental in 1975 and my mother got one and 12 years later got a second one. Beef valves became common later. But they were processed, reinforced... they were superior to mechanical valves as they did not require blood thinner or create clots. The mechanical valves were superior if the person was young or highly active. Pork hides have been used for burn victims in the past but I do not know if it is still a practice or not. There were flocks of sheep in VA in the 80's and some efforts were underway to use part of the blood for human needs. I lost that contact. In the past the pigs were raised specifically for the medical use and were not modified. What we do not know is if the genetic modification for less rejection also affects other functions or traits. It is a slippery slope but apparently we are already there.

The transplant was approved because the man was near death and no alternative was available so he volunteered for the process.

Here's a brief summary of how insulin was discovered.

"In 1921, a young surgeon named Frederick Banting and his assistant Charles Best figured out how to remove insulin from a dog's pancreas. Skeptical colleagues said the stuff looked like "thick brown muck," but little did they know this would lead to life and hope for millions of people with diabetes.

With this murky concoction, Banting and Best kept another dog with severe diabetes alive for 70 days—the dog died only when there was no more extract. With this success, the researchers, along with the help of colleagues J.B. Collip and John Macleod, went a step further. A more refined and pure form of insulin was developed, this time from the pancreases of cattle.

In January 1922, Leonard Thompson, a 14-year-old boy dying from diabetes in a Toronto hospital, became the first person to receive an injection of insulin. Within 24 hours, Leonard's dangerously high blood glucose levels dropped to near-normal levels.

Insulin from cattle and pigs was used for many years to treat diabetes and saved millions of lives, but it wasn't perfect, as it caused allergic reactions in many patients. The first genetically engineered, synthetic "human" insulin was produced in 1978 using E. coli bacteria to produce the insulin. Eli Lilly went on in 1982 to sell the first commercially available biosynthetic human insulin under the brand name Humulin."

Latest posts