Pig heart transplant....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Pretty interesting or at least to me.

A hog heart at the time of slaughter is about the size of an adult human heart.
Other organs from pigs being researched for transplantation into humans include kidneys, liver and lungs.
Prior efforts at pig-to-human transplants have failed because of genetic differences that caused organ rejection or viruses that posed an infection risk.
Scientists have tackled that problem by editing away potentially harmful genes.

Shoot, a large part of the population thinks mRNA vaccines are going to change their DNA, this could really set those folks off.
Seriously, this is fantastic stuff and very interesting to me as well.

Lots of people will be against this for any number of reasons. Some with merit, most with none.

Lots of people will be against this for any number of reasons. Some with merit, most with none.
Closest neighbour found out he had a bicuspid heart valve a couple of years ago (as opposed to tricuspid as is proper). They elected to put in a valve from a cow. They wouldn't let him supply his own though. He's worried it might be black angus. Regardless, it seems to be working fine and he feels better than ever. He is lucky to still be here, and this technology should allow him many more healthy years.
This new tech sounds like it will be even better and come with even more possibilities.

Closest neighbour found out he had a bicuspid heart valve a couple of years ago (as opposed to tricuspid as is proper). They elected to put in a valve from a cow. They wouldn't let him supply his own though. He's worried it might be black angus. Regardless, it seems to be working fine and he feels better than ever. He is lucky to still be here, and this technology should allow him many more healthy years.
This new tech sounds like it will be even better and come with even more possibilities.
Guy I work for had the same thing done. My son will have to have it one day, too.

This new tech sounds like it will be even better and come with even more possibilities
That's where you go Corriente right there. Lol
How old ? They are pushing mechanical valves now for people expected to live a while. The tissue valves apparently have a tendency to wear out and require replacement in less than 10 years. The mechanical valves or supposed to last indefinitely. The downside to mechanical is having to be on blood thinners. Along with a elevated risk of infection.

How old ? They are pushing mechanical valves now for people expected to live a while. The tissue valves apparently have a tendency to wear out and require replacement in less than 10 years. The mechanical valves or supposed to last indefinitely. The downside to mechanical is having to be on blood thinners. Along with a elevated risk of infection.
The pig valve my neighbor kid got wasn't available synthetically or mechanically.

Now that you mention it, I remember the discussion about mechanical vs. animal and all the pros and cons with each. He did say this one would have to be replaced in ten years or so. He is mid forties. Maybe next time he will get something using the tech mentioned in the OP.

When Mr. TC had a double chamber ablation (at the Cleveland Clinic), the Electrophysiologist discovered his heart was almost exactly like a pigs heart & had to improvise by cauterizing multiple veins, then "building a fence" around each cluster. Cardiologists do extensive studying & training on pig & cow hearts/tissue.

All I know about valve transplants is that when I had my quad bypass in Oct 2015, I went to cardio physical therapy the following feb. (I was 65 1/2) Treadmill and exercycle workouts 1 1/2 hrs 3 days/week. (It was a piece of cake for me) But, There was a man there also going thru the same therapy after having a valve replacement. I don't know if it was pig, mechanical or something else. Looked to be in his late 50s early 60s at the most.

At first, I got on the treadmill machine next to him and we talked while exercising but soon, I got to where I would get on one of the treadmills way away from him. I thought I was doing great keeping to the regimen the facility had, cranking the walking speed up every few days but this dude, was friggin RUNNING almost from day 1. Made me look bad if only to myself.

Latest posts