Piedmontese cross heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is a throw back, my namesake animal at the Denver Stock Show. My grandfather had the first Pied born in the US. Masterkit was 3/4 Pied IIRC...

Also, Piedmontese have been in the America's since before 84...

wildcatkit52":1sf04sxj said:
Also, Piedmontese have been in the America's since before 84...

I stand corrected, thanks. They first arrived in Canada in '79 and the first registry (PAUS) was established in '84.

I am the owner of PAUS membership number one. I was raised on Pied. My grandfather died not long after that picture was taken. He was working hard on his own composite. He wanted 5/8 Pied and 3/8 Salers. He was just getting there. My father wasn't that way. He just went commercial with what he liked to look at. My uncle said a couple years ago that It is likely my grandfather would be raising fullblood Piedmontese today. The genetics now is so much better than it was when they started.

WalnutCrest":3b9bnne4 said:
Not all myostatin mutations are the same. Igenity tests for nine different types.

There are three different mutations that give the combination of traits described above - each of these mutations are described by Igenity as being missence variations. In addition to the type common to Piedmontese cattle, a different type (called the F94L mutation) is common to Limousin and Aubrac cattle. I don't recall off the top of my head the name of the Piedmontese variation or the name of the third missence variation.

The other six are considered disruptive variations and can greatly affect calving ease.

Generally, missence variation cattle have twice as many muscle fibers, each of which is long with a narrow diameter ... and ... disruptive variations have the same number of muscle fibers as regular cattle, just they are twice as thick (making the beef tougher).

Generally, cattle with two copies of a disruptive variation are consider "double muscled", as it's a the effects of harder calving and tougher beef are not desired.

One of our clients runs a fullblood Aubrac bull on Aubrac and Piedmontese cows.

Myostatin, as part of the Igenity Profile, analyzes for nine different variants of the myostatin gene, even though some may not be found in all breeds. Six variants are classified as "disruptive;" these cause
muscle hypertrophy (double-muscling), larger birth weights, increased dystocia and enhanced tenderness.
Three myostatin variants are referred to as "missense," and will increase muscularity and reduce external and intramuscular fat, with no change in birth weight. For all myostatin variants one copy is intermediate.
Disruptive variants are:
C313Y
nt419
E226X
nt821
E291X
Q204x

Missence variants are:
D182N
F94L
S105C

Piedmontese are C313Y and Disruptive variant according to Igenity. I'd like to see more studies on these in the near future. Digging through piles of misinformation on ANY and ALL breeds is sometimes tiresome.

I have been trying to post a picture of an old piedmontese bull ( deceased) and it doesn't seem to be working --grrr. Anyways maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, not used to these uploaded pictures, used to simply copy and paste and it used to work.!
Anyways, I stumbled on a woman who had some of his semen and it is supposed to be on the way to a tank near here! This is the bull Ulmar who I was told won at Agribition one year, and who some Aussies bought for $22,000 years ago and shipped to Australia. However it was winter here, and as soon as they got him to Australia, they put him in belly deep grass after being on hay for the winter, and it killed the poor beast..

http://s18.postimg.org/ifv4stjed/allens ... 1487629222

That's a tough deal. Spend 22k on a bull. Spend a small fortune getting him to Australia. Kill him before he can do anything for you.

That's rough.

Ulmar is a Canadian bull, and I was told by the previous owner ( I did manage to track the previous owner down) that they pulled 4000 straws here in Canada before shipping him overseas. I was told the Aussies insured him for about $80,000. so in spite of the pain they did come out, maybe not smiling, but re-imbursed, as it cost I was told about $17,000 to fly him to Australia plus the price of $22,000 purchase price, plus of course vet costs, they just probably never had time to pull any Semen from him though.
So Ulmar more than likely went from possibly minus --30 F or colder ( alberta) to plus whatever it was in Australia, being fed hay to belly deep in grass. plus flying halfway around the world.. kind of rough jet lag..
The previous owner said there used to be proofs somewhere in his files on ulmar, I guess the question is where, as this bull has been dead for about 20 years, and the owner sold all his cows, but he said he used him on heifers with no problem.
I had his pedigree on my computer, just not sure what happened to it, it may have been on the computer that died, because it isn't on this one...
I believe he was a "captain" son, not sure if "captain" was American bull that was double registered in Canada or visa versa or not...
If I have time I can go back on the Canadian livestock records corp. web page and track down his pedigree, information is open and free to anyone who has the spare time to track it down, just right now I don't have basically any spare time!!
the Ai center checked a sample of the semen I bought, and said it is viable, so now am hoping for a breeding sometime this summer with the young fullblood Pied cow and heifer I have.

He is there, because that is were I got his pedigree, if I have time I will re-look for it, just I am working weird hours, so cant do an in depth search right now...

I finally got ahold of the people at the livestock records corp.
Ulmar has the prefix PBL ulmar why he couldn't be found. registration # 92
He was a bull from the USA imported into Canada.
Below is his pedigree

Pedigree Links/Liens de pedigrees:
GOUFALOUEFO -[IT]I5835-
ZORRO -[IT]I38679-
COLOMBA -[IT]I64719-
BRINDISI -1-
N/A-N/C
GVOIA -[IT]I64735-
N/A-N/C
PBL ULMAR 3U
VILLANO -[IT]31855-
CAPTAIN -7-
UDINE 28229 -[IT]28229-
PBL PATSY 11P -16-
ZOFF -[IT]I37400-
BANANA -5-
ULTIMA -[IT]I28141-

Found him in the Canadian registry. Only recognized three names but they were great ones I'm told. One of my girls have Captain in her pedigree and he has produced many good calves.

The other bull that is being shipped is PBL Warner, however I don't know which Warner it is, I think it is warner 15 but not for sure. The price was really really good, and a couple straws were pulled and it is in good condition, and it had been shipped to the gal I got it from, by mistake, so because
from what I hear the bloodline is good and of the extreme rarity of piedmontese and semen in this area, am willing to take a chance..

Latest posts