Pics of bull catch in chute (I hope)!

Help Support CattleToday:

View attachment 36690
This is in my chute set up. Boards are in place to show what will be put in when I get him in place. Butt stop and kick plate in rear and chest board and feed bucket in front. Side gate will open where he is caught and he exits there. I pray this works. If my length is correct o believe it will work. From chest board to butt board is 72" max to 68" minimum adjustable. Side gate is 72" long and same height as chute. When all is finished and butt and kick stop is remove, side gate is opened and out of chute he steps. Sounds good don't it. Just hope he thinks so. ✝️🛐🙏
Just curious why you would use the side gate instead of letting the bull exit through the open headgate. Your setup is much like mine except I don't have a side gate, although I have considered putting one on the side too.

We were testing bulls in the spring with a prototype and the vet liked this rump bar position (butt board). This one didn't want to go through the head-gate so he's fully inside the chute with the head-gate doors closed. That 83" is from the back of the head-gate to the tube that's stopping the rump bar for reference.

Attachments

• Bull in chute.JPG
    Bull in chute.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 27
I would suggest covering the bottom 3 or 4 boards with a thin plywood to make a smooth inside surface. If a bull wants to rear, the horizontal boards give him traction to climb or worse get a leg caught through an opening. It all depends how calm your bull is in comnfinement.

How rank is this bull?
How big is this bull?
Is your headgate adjustable?

My preference would have been using the headgate. If your headgate doesn't adjust wide enough, depending on size of the bull, I still would have moved him all the way to the headgate and put something behind him so he can't back up.
Again, I don't know the history of why you are building this contraption, but you won't need a kick bar in the back at all, you are not working behind the bull. A steel bar behind him would be better then any type of wood 2x4. And forget about the feed bucket.

Short and sweet, bam bam bam. Don't drag this out longer then you have to. The more time you take, the more things can happen. Not saying you should do this careless, work from the outside of the alleyway at all times.

Have all your meds ready to go before he goes in.
Pics of the bull when he is in. =)

My set up is similar to this but no feed box. I have one of the priefert automatic headgates. when they go down the chute I put a "butt board" behind, then another as they go further. The headgate isn't perfect but most times when the shoulder hits it it trips it. Just have to set it at the right width for the animal initially. Some will balk and I climb over and "kneel" on the tailhead if I need the head caught. be patient and quiet. you don't want them to think going over the side is better than out the front. Lots of times I just fill the chute and give shots and pour them without using the headgate. I know some folks don't care for the prieferts, but I can't justify a $$$$ squeeze with controls at the back and it's just me. No one to run the handle on a manual chute.

One thought about your board spacing. I had one get a leg between the bottom and second board the first or second time I used mine. Luckily she broke the board and got loose with just some peeled skin. It was some oak I bought in a bundle that I got ripped off on. Stuff on the outside was good but the middle of the stack was junk. If it had been good lumber I think she'd have broke that leg. I filled the spaces between the first boards after that.

Always Stand facing the direction of the bull while inserting the butt board. That way if he backs up suddenly before you have the board all the way across it just jerks it out of your hand. Stand the other way if he backs out the board will hit you very hard in the legs. I know of a couple broken legs that happened that way.
Will do

I really hope this goes well for you..
Thanks, I will try to take all precautions. I even thought about a dry run to see if he fits and I could feed him while in there. All work will have to be done outside the chute.
View attachment 36690
This is in my chute set up. Boards are in place to show what will be put in when I get him in place. Butt stop and kick plate in rear and chest board and feed bucket in front. Side gate will open where he is caught and he exits there. I pray this works. If my length is correct o believe it will work. From chest board to butt board is 72" max to 68" minimum adjustable. Side gate is 72" long and same height as chute. When all is finished and butt and kick stop is remove, side gate is opened and out of chute he steps. Sounds good don't it. Just hope he thinks so. ✝️🛐🙏
I think after the comments on the kick board, I will leave it out; and not use it. No one will be behind him to get kicked anyway. All work will be done outside the chute also.
It sure wouldn't take much for a 1000 to 1500lb lightweight bull to smash a guys guts out....
I know, he is normally gentle but doesn't like going into the chute at all.

Nothing to make a bovine to hate the chute on the rest of the trips in it than a pair of nose holds. I thought that all of them were in a museum somewhere along with other torture devices. No thanks.

And make-do chutes are a bad choice. Just load them up, sell out and find some fun way to hurt yourself. Life is too short.
👍

My set up is similar to this but no feed box. I have one of the priefert automatic headgates. when they go down the chute I put a "butt board" behind, then another as they go further. The headgate isn't perfect but most times when the shoulder hits it it trips it. Just have to set it at the right width for the animal initially. Some will balk and I climb over and "kneel" on the tailhead if I need the head caught. be patient and quiet. you don't want them to think going over the side is better than out the front. Lots of times I just fill the chute and give shots and pour them without using the headgate. I know some folks don't care for the prieferts, but I can't justify a $$$$ squeeze with controls at the back and it's just me. No one to run the handle on a manual chute.

One thought about your board spacing. I had one get a leg between the bottom and second board the first or second time I used mine. Luckily she broke the board and got loose with just some peeled skin. It was some oak I bought in a bundle that I got ripped off on. Stuff on the outside was good but the middle of the stack was junk. If it had been good lumber I think she'd have broke that leg. I filled the spaces between the first boards after that.
"...just fill the chute and give shots and pour them without using the headgate..." - I do the same thing. The only time I use the headgate is when I need to put in an eartag or Ralgro. Sometimes if a bull calf gets cantakerous, I'll use the squeeze chute and, if necessary, the head gate. But most of the time it isn't necessary. I've spent the last 2-3 years "re-domesticating" these cows and selling off the dangerously crazy ones. It's a pretty docile group now...not pets, mind you...but they don't go insane when penned up like they used to.

I help is out of town and it's raining and cold today. I'll have to move out the working the cows until next eeek. I was looking forward to getting it over but there's a reason for everything.

Sometimes, we overthink things and this looks like one of those times. When I first looked at the pictures, I thought wth is all that?

What Simm said, with the pipe, or if you don't have one layin around, use a GOOD fencepost, tho a post can be heavy and hard to slide. Use something long enough to stick thru and then some, just remember where it is... especially if you have another animal behind the one your working. The pipe can get moved forward and then the worked on animal can suddenly shove it back. Listen to Dave..he's done a few...
Might not break your leg but can sure flip you arse over bellybutton, and it's REALLY hard on shins.

Can't count the # of times I and Dad worked polled hereford, brahma and later, me with beefmasters with just a couple of pieces of pipe. Finally got smart and made a trip over to the Preifert dealer... $$$$ but easier.
No Backs work good on bigger calves, most cows and heifers but I saw a BM bull tear one clean off it's mount. He was a handfull and I was kinda glad when he broke his pecker and left in a trailer..
If your going to work many like you intend to do, go ahead and build yourself a raised walkway on the outside of the alley/chute. It gets old climbing up on board rails and even pipe rail to work, keeping you balance.
DO be carefull leaning way over in there. They can rear up faster than you can get out of the way.

Get one of these if you don't have one already. Guarantee you are going to drop something down in there and keeps your hands and forearms out of risky places.
About $10..cheap insurance.
grabber.jpg

I have used nose tongs when dehorning. Not as pretty and shiny as the one I see posted tho. Gave them away when I sold the place. Guy I gave them to had no idea what they were or how to use them even tho he had kept cattle for years. shrug..........

Latest posts