Pic of old cow. What does she tell you?

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like she had a really good bull calf. You definitely got a good deal on her I would say. what kinda bull do u use?

Walt, I have a Brangus cow about her age and she looks much worse. I am sending her to the sale barn in a few weeks, mainly because I need to cull a few more because of hay management. She does raise a great calf every year too.

Hey, is that an out house you have on stilts :)

I am wore out this morning from tracking a deer for over 3 miles yesterday morning. A friend of mine shot one with a bow at day break yesterday and I have never seen a deer go so far and bleed that much.
The bad part is we never found the deer, the blood just stopped and I even put my Beagle on the trail and she couldn't find it either.

I bought me a black baldie about that age with newborn calf on her,she wound up havin 2 more calves before she yielded up the ghost. The calf she had on her when I bought her be now about ready ta breed back for the third time. :lol: I considered the old gal to have been a pretty good 600$ investment :D :D :D

I also have a couple of SimX mamas that tend to look that way while raising the calf ... both have produced great calves with their work clothes on.

Limomike":132a5s02 said:
Looks like she had a really good bull calf. You definitely got a good deal on her I would say. what kinda bull do u use?

Red Brangus bull. The neighbor has loaned him to me. I hope to purchase a Char bull in 2 or 3 years once I get the cow numbers up. Right now I only have 5 cows and 5 replacement heifers.

Walt

How long ago was she wormed?

Was it a wormer that is effective against liver flukes?

My question is based upon the fluid retention under the jaw, I didn't notice it in the first pictures from the summer, but it might be something to keep an eye on...

~

She does look like she has some dairy in her.
I have a few all red Sim cows that look just like her.

I have a 17 year old that has had 18 calves and she looks horrid most of the time she is nursing. I keep her well wormed twice a year and give her a few graham crackers when I visit her in the field.
You just can't beat those Simmental and Sim crosses.

As far as keeping the heifer calves off of your cow, you have 2 options:

Sell them and use the $$ to upgrade your stock ( buy a PB Simmental or a SimAngus or a Simbrah or whatever )

Or keep the heifer and breed her to the BEST bull you can find, buy, rent or win.

This kind of cow will make you some fold'n money.

You did good buying her.

7/29/07 she got vaced and ivomec pour on. I don't think that covers liver flukes. I went back and looked at the pics I have on file and she does have that in the very first picture I took of her. It only shows when she holds her head at the proper angle. It seems to disappear when her head is down grazing. I didn't think it was wet enough here for them to get liver flukes. She was purchased locally. I browsed through all my pics and she is the only one that has the dewlap under the jaw. Should I be concerned.

Walt

As soon as that calf hit the ground you had a free cow. I'd take that deal any day, that's how you make money on these critters. Nice pics!

i can understand why you might have been leary of her, but for the price, i would've done the same thing and bought her, if she has a live calf, all the risk is basically gone at that point. i think someone said it already, but this is how you make money and get a good start (if you need to get a start) also, as some have already said, if she births a live calf and takes care of it like a good girl - no reason to get rid of her just yet.

this may sound kind of silly, because i know that conformation is a critical element of choosing animals, but on the other hand, every person doesn't look alike, so why should we expect every animal to look just perfect? most of us seem to get along just fine whether we've got legs that are a little crooked, we're light in the flank or too top heavy! :lol:

Latest posts