Photo of cows eye

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy":1d4bp8x7 said:
msscamp":1d4bp8x7 said:
Looks like pinkeye to me.

Really? Thanks for the input. I looked it up and says that a spray used several times a day clears it up. Has anyone ever used a spray for this and is this an expensive treatment? Any other treatments used?

Yes we do use a spray for pinkeye, it works great, it is purple and really messy, its something the Vet mixes up themselves, I can't think of the name offfand, but if it is caught at the first signs of the eye dripping, turning somewhat cloudy this stuff works in 2-3 days. Hope this helps.

GMN

ctlbaron":tlun9lae said:
Doesn't look like an active case of pinkeye. Eye is too clean and no drainage. How long have you had this cow? She does look like an older cow that may have in the past had pinkeye that was caught too late and left the eye cloudy.

We have had this cow for two years. The eye only recently became cloudy. Today it looked clearer but we have not done anything to it yet. No drainage. That is also why I didn't think it was pinkeye. I think this old girl is just old. She is as spry and curious as ever when we feed. Has a good appetite. I am just not going to worry so much. :roll:

Susie David":2vmg9fwb said:
Has the cow been wormed recently? Alot of things cold account for weight loss, a rumen filled with bailer twine, plastic bags and such..have found some strange stuff at slaughter.
DMc

Yes,she was wormed about eight weeks ago. That is a scary thought about the twine....my papaw had that in a cow that died, now he uses only haystring, no plastic twine. Thanks for your comments.

GMN":3d3nwgwo said:
NewCowboy":3d3nwgwo said:
msscamp":3d3nwgwo said:
Yes we do use a spray for pinkeye, it works great, it is purple and really messy, its something the Vet mixes up themselves, I can't think of the name offfand, but if it is caught at the first signs of the eye dripping, turning somewhat cloudy this stuff works in 2-3 days. Hope this helps.

GMN

Thanks,will keep in mind for future reference. :D

:idea: We never did do anything to this cows eye. It seems to be clearing up, though still looks slightly light in color. She does not seem to be blind in it either. Weight is staying steady. Guess we will just have to see how she continues to progress.

Latest posts