Photo of cows eye

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
Here is the photo of the cows eye that is cloudy. Just to clear up the other question about anaplasmosis, the vet did do bloodwork on our other cow and it turned out to NOT be anaplas. So, I am not concerned that this is what this cow has at all. She is probably just older than we were told. If she gets any worse, we will probably just have the vet come out again and give her a look over. What breed/type of cow do you suggest this is? And what do you think about this cloudy eye (if you can see it well enough)?
IMG_1722.jpg

Here are two other photos to see to let me know what type of cows these are.
IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

Thanks!

msscamp":2f5x6jew said:
Looks like pinkeye to me.

Really? Thanks for the input. I looked it up and says that a spray used several times a day clears it up. Has anyone ever used a spray for this and is this an expensive treatment? Any other treatments used?

warpaint":2aw18whu said:
msscamp":2aw18whu said:
Looks like pinkeye to me.

Would that account for drastic weight loss,Msscamp? Had a cow this past summer with a bad case of pinkeye and she didn't lose any weight.

I found this info on a website : "Cattle with pinkeye keep the affected eye or eyes closed because of pain and to avoid bright sunlight. They lose weight because they are reluctant to forage for feed and water. The course of the infection may run for 4 to 8 weeks, or even longer."

http://cattletoday.info/diseases/pinkeye.htm

So, I guess it could be this. We are going to call the vet today to see if he can take a quick peek at it and see what he thinks.

warpaint":2rfoht1l said:
As I said, had one with a bad case last summer. Vet came out and administered antibiotics to the affected eye and sewed it shut.

Just wondering...but why would it need to be sewed shut? Keep antibiotic on it? Patch not able to stay on a cow? Just curious, sounds traumatic just for pinkeye.

A little more traumatic for my wife than the cow. Vet gave the cow a little happy juice(none for the wife) When she got back on her feet she wasn't the least bit affected by it.

Wouldn't even attempt to put a patch on a cow's eye.

warpaint":2wmehlrg said:
Also, judging by the pic of the cow, she's been doing without groceries for a while.

No, actually we just turned her back out into the pasture after having her pent up with daily feed. That is why we were concerned about her health, she lost weight and has not put any back on, even after feeding a 5 gallon bucket of 16% range cubes every day, sometimes twice a day for a little over SIX WEEKS, with constant hay and mineral blocks. I just believe something systemic is going on with her, because as you can see, our other cows do not look like this.....see above photos. They eye has just become cloudy in the past two weeks.

warpaint":1cgg4kid said:
Wouldn't even attempt to put a patch on a cow's eye.

I agree, just wondering what sewing does? We had a calf that had to have it's eye removed around 2 months old and it was sewed shut, when we took the stitches out, it stayed shut (of course). I don't claim to know much, but I DO know that our cow has been feed well......

she looks like she has problems. maybe just an old cow? if she were mine i'd just monitor the eye, maybe squirt some LA200 in it. the others look good though.

I'm no vet, but I'd say you definitely got something going on besides pinkeye. Have the vet look at her, take some blood to have tested. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I think it is something more too. That is when I come to this board for more advice and input. But obviously it is hard to diagnose online... :roll: But with all of the experience on here, it is hard not to at least ask..... :cboy:

Doesn't look like an active case of pinkeye. Eye is too clean and no drainage. How long have you had this cow? She does look like an older cow that may have in the past had pinkeye that was caught too late and left the eye cloudy.

NewCowboy":2bee74oa said:
warpaint":2bee74oa said:
As I said, had one with a bad case last summer. Vet came out and administered antibiotics to the affected eye and sewed it shut.

Just wondering...but why would it need to be sewed shut? Keep antibiotic on it? Patch not able to stay on a cow? Just curious, sounds traumatic just for pinkeye.
The entire Eye is not usually sewn. Just the 3rd Eyelid. The stitches disolve over a small amount of time, while the infected Eye heals.

Need a closer picture of the eye to really tell anything but it does not look like active pink eye to me. Could be an injury that has started to scar. Had a steer that we called "Popeye" because of a scared eye as a calf.
Has the cow been wormed recently? Alot of things cold account for weight loss, a rumen filled with bailer twine, plastic bags and such..have found some strange stuff at slaughter.
DMc

looks like she had pinkeye in the past and the cloudy eye is just damage left from it. nothing you can do about it. if there is i would like to know what...?

When you catch her head to look at the cloudy eye take time to look in her mouth! If you think she has an age problem ,check her teeth for condition. If she has decent teeth and is not burdened with parasites, ship her and be done with the problem. If she is eating that many cubes and not gaining wieght most people could not aford to keep her.

NewCowboy":1znceasi said:
warpaint":1znceasi said:
Also, judging by the pic of the cow, she's been doing without groceries for a while.

No, actually we just turned her back out into the pasture after having her pent up with daily feed. That is why we were concerned about her health, she lost weight and has not put any back on, even after feeding a 5 gallon bucket of 16% range cubes every day, sometimes twice a day for a little over SIX WEEKS, with constant hay and mineral blocks. I just believe something systemic is going on with her, because as you can see, our other cows do not look like this.....see above photos. They eye has just become cloudy in the past two weeks.

Did the vet test for Johne's?

Latest posts