Percentage of Baron Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Just curious what the percent of baron heifers folks experienced in their own herds. I'm talking about heifers with a reproductive tract or other physical issue that prevented them from breeding at say 15 months. I'm not talking about heifers that didn't breed because of malnutrition or other mismanagement problems. Also, for those of you that have bought heifers at the sale barn what percentage of sale barn heifers have you seen as baron (this assumes that baron heifers end up at the sale barn).

the % of barron heifers can differ from year to year.we know that mixed sets of twins the heifer is barron.

ANAZAZI":141gldmd said:
bigbull338":141gldmd said:
ANAZAZI":141gldmd said:
You speak of BARREN heifers?
thats a heifer that wont ever breed for 1 reason or another.

:nod:

Yes to both. I think Barren is the correct spelling and BB338 has it definition right. I had one back in 2010 with immature reproductive organs. Does anyone buy Open heifers at the sale barn? If so what percentage do you see as barren.

I have only bought one barren heifer from the sale barn. I should have guessed it because she looked too good to be true. We bought her at a time when we were looking to expand, bought @ 30 in two weeks.
Some say you can tell a Free Martin (sterile female of twins) in that she will look more masculine. This is supposed to be because they share imbecilic cords and she is exposed to the male hormones with her shared bull twin calf.

in almost 30yrs of milking cows an raising an buying heifers.i dont think weve had 10hd tobe barron.an i have yet to buy a beef heifer that wont breed.hope i dont jinx myself.

Since we started milking our own dairy cows back in 2002 we've had 3 barren heifers these all looked pretty much the same as a steer. We made the decision early on to sell anything that looked like a steer & we sell them as slaughter only

Latest posts