%$^$ people

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, another bit of a rant for me... The deal on the steer I had kept last fall fell through, I had a bit of a deposit on him, but now I have to go through the hassle of finding a market for him all over again, and I posted it on craigslist, so I'm sure to have 50 people interested in him but they'll only have the 1.5 cu ft freezer of their refrigerator and will want 5 lbs at a time, despite the ad saying he's sold live, delivered to any local slaughterhouse. *grumble*.

I have his full blood brother sold as well, as a bull, but I have a better deposit on him and would probably get a fair shake at the sale barn on him in the spring anyhow.

What's the price of a 13-1400 lb steer nowadays anyhow?

Nesi, there are folks down here that sell beef by the pound. They butcher and wrap the meat and freeze it. Price (and they claim to sell all they butcher) is $25/pound for the steaks and slightly less for the less desirable cuts. You might be missing out on all those %^@#'s.

I sell by hanging weight and by the 1/2 or 1/4 , I pay kill cut and wrap, sell him for 3.00 to 3.50 a lb
so if he dresses at 800lb hanging that is 2400.00 at 3.00 a lb minus the kill cut an wrap, way more than on the hoof ,this is what I do Suzanne

I'm sorry. Times are getting tough and a dollar doesn't go as far anymore. Maybe the buyer couldn't afford it. : (

well, 3 years ago he bought an Argo (an 8x8 ATV) for $26000, and the property next to ours for 80,000, and he has a house in the city too... he's not really a guy who's strapped for cash. I can understand that with family medical problems, taking care of the cut/wrap of a steer is a bit of work... but it goes to show you ALWAYS have to get a security deposit on something you're going out of your way to keep. From what I'm reading, sale barn prices are in the 1.20 range, so he should be worth about 1500 give or take, but he was worth 1100 last fall, and probably 1400 this spring... I may be able to find another buyer, but time is running out for fall slaughter space.

I have tried doing the cut and wrap and selling quarters, but one person wants steaks in 2 packs, the other in 3 packs, the next guy wants stew meat and not burger, and it becomes a haggling point for them, and then I have to take responsibility for what the butcher does, and I'm sick of it... If I sell it on the hoof and they do it, they can wrangle with the butcher if he short changed them of meat, if the cuts weren't right, etc, and I'm out of it... I delivered the animal.

I just hate that they basically give me a month notice that they arent buying the guy

Latest posts