Peevish Grammer and Spelling

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586":p5xrla02 said:
flaboy?":p5xrla02 said:
It's funny, I can proof read and see mistakes in others writings but I can't for the life of me proof read myself. Seems my brain just reads what I wanted to write/type regardless of what I actually did. I see it here on this board in my writing after the fact.

I agree! That happens to me all the time. Or it looks fine until I print it out and whops, there it is.

I was not meaning to be judgmental in any way. Just seemed that a nerve had been touched in the other thread. I thought it may be interesting to actually give a more appropriate place for folks to vent their peeves.
I also agree that education doesn't necessarily "educate", my Dad only went thru the 8th grade and he was one of the smartest men I have known.
Was he smart because he did not go beyond 8th grade, or would he have been even smarter if he had more education?

Ryder":2bsjv3g7 said:
CKC1586":2bsjv3g7 said:
flaboy?":2bsjv3g7 said:
It's funny, I can proof read and see mistakes in others writings but I can't for the life of me proof read myself. Seems my brain just reads what I wanted to write/type regardless of what I actually did. I see it here on this board in my writing after the fact.

I agree! That happens to me all the time. Or it looks fine until I print it out and whops, there it is.

I was not meaning to be judgmental in any way. Just seemed that a nerve had been touched in the other thread. I thought it may be interesting to actually give a more appropriate place for folks to vent their peeves.
I also agree that education doesn't necessarily "educate", my Dad only went thru the 8th grade and he was one of the smartest men I have known.

Was he smart because he did not go beyond 8th grade, or would he have been even smarter if he had more education?

Well I guess it depends on how you look at it. He was a very intelligent man but only finished 8th grade as his father was killed and he stayed home and helped his Mom with the farm and raising his 8 brothers and sisters. Would he have even been smarter had he gone further in school? Probably book smarter but as far as life experience goes I don't think so.

flaboy?":18rwnzz4 said:

That is a very common problem. Strange that it should be brought up since that was a conversation I had with a doctor here on monday. You're brain sees what you think you typed. If you wait a week and reread it you'll usually see the mistakes.

Know what I just Love our English language, so flowery and loads of words to use. so what if not everyone can use one word instead of four, that is what they are there for, to be used.

chrisy":1br5gdcj said:
Know what I just Love our English language, so flowery and loads of words to use. so what if not everyone can use one word instead of four, that is what they are there for, to be used.

I like the quote about two peoples separated by a common language

Only thing that really bothers me on reading threads is if someone types in all Caps or they type one long paragraph with no break, it is hard for my mind to stay focused reading either of those two.

O yea and the fact that dun is not Dun :lol:

ps. help for those of us that can not spell well, download the Google bar and it has a spell check option for anything that you type in your browser. Works much like the spell check on Microsoft Word.

Plus you have a Google search window all the time on your toolbar that comes in real handy.

Also has a pop up blocker that keeps those nasty pop ups away.

http://toolbar.google.com/T4/?utm_campa ... brand=GZAZ

Auh! is that not refering to the English and American-English, language Quote - unquote 'Two Nations seperated by the same Language'

sometimes I find it difficult to read as the spelling is different and the slang is very different. If I said 'Skivvy' I would mean a slave or very low paid worker, I believe you on the other hand would be talking about 'Underwear' as in 'Pants' to me would be your 'Undies' not 'Trousers'. The list goes on. I think we did a post a few years ago about the differences, when I first came to the site. This old language gets pick apart and changed so much but it still goes on.

chrisy":23ca8sif said:
Words are for communication.
Flowers are for the flower garden.

I am not readiing through a bunch of flowers. Particularly pertaning to technical details.

A thesaurus is a good tool to find a better word or a substitue word. Not to use every word in it all at the same time.

Ryder":1vgiaybb said:
chrisy":1vgiaybb said:
Words are for communication.
Flowers are for the flower garden.

I am not readiing through a bunch of flowers. Particularly pertaning to technical details.

A thesaurus is a good tool to find a better word or a substitue word. Not to use every word in it all at the same time.

Yes but even with a 'Thesaurus' not everyone knows how to cross reference, and use the words properly when found.

While we're on the subject of words, does anyone care to guess the plural of the word "you"?
SL

aplusmnt":1zsdgk7o said:
Only thing that really bothers me on reading threads is if someone types in all Caps or they type one long paragraph with no break, it is hard for my mind to stay focused reading either of those two.

O yea and the fact that dun is not Dun :lol:

Not important enough to be capitalized

Sir Loin":r89l65nj said:
While we're on the subject of words, does anyone care to guess the plural of the word "you"?
SL

technically there is no plural to you it is both singular and plural,

but a lot of people put 'y'll' youns, you all, but all are only slang. The Irish have a plural to you in the Gaelic which is 'Ye' but even that is used in the singular as well as plural nowdays.

CKC1586":2k0l676k said:
What bugs you??? On another thread folks are "discussing" the use of sale vs sell, win vs won, the use of there, their, they're....
I guess I'm pretty anal about grammar. I don't mind stuff like ain't and ya'll, but horrendous misspelling and all of the above annoy the crap out of me......

Sir Loin: the plural of you is ya'll ;-) (according to correct grammar it is you)

Lots of people are uneducated because of circumstances. Maybe they have a mental handicap of some kind. Maybe they had to quit school and go to work to support their family. There are a host of other reasons that they can't control and I have no problem with people like that. I'll help them in any way I can.

Other people are uneducated simply because they're lazy. That bothers me.

Since I have no way of distinguishing between the two on an internet chat board, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and keep my mouth shut when I see poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

chrisy":1whaur79 said:
Sir Loin":1whaur79 said:
SL

but a lot of people put 'y'll' youns, you all, but all are only slang. The Irish have a plural to you in the Gaelic which is 'Ye' but even that is used in the singular as well as plural nowdays.

You mean like one deer and ten deer?

I thought is was you and "all ya'll" :lol:

backhoeboogie":24jecpgf said:
chrisy":24jecpgf said:
Sir Loin":24jecpgf said:
SL

You mean like one deer and ten deer?

I thought is was you and "all ya'll" :lol:

you thought right I'm not familiar with the spelling as we don't use the expression here.
as you asked the question, I thought you knew the answer!!!! as in a quizz.

VanC":ajxoos80 said:
Lots of people are uneducated because of circumstances. Maybe they have a mental handicap of some kind. Maybe they had to quit school and go to work to support their family. There are a host of other reasons that they can't control and I have no problem with people like that. I'll help them in any way I can.

Other people are uneducated simply because they're lazy. That bothers me.

Since I have no way of distinguishing between the two on an internet chat board, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and keep my mouth shut when I see poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

You are one of them glass half full guys, me I assume they are all lazy :lol: :lol:

Latest posts