Peevish Grammer and Spelling

Help Support CattleToday:

people coming into our country not being able to speak English.. thats what really BUGS me.. but thats another post!

The grammar doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is no punctucation. No capital letters where there should be etc. No that I am truly offended by lack of education, but rather my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

Something else that bothers me is the posters who start out on page 5 with, "I didn't read this whole thread but I just wanted to say...." In most cases someone already said it on page 3 or 4, but the poster didn't care to look. That always sounds to me like someone wanting to say something but doesn't give a rats what anyone else thinks. So. Anytime I see, "I didn'r read this thread.." I stop right there and don't read any more of the post.

I don't judge a man/woman by his education. I try not to judge at all but I put a lot measure on a man/womans actions.

Limomike":2uhzf17a said:
people coming into our country not being able to speak English.. thats what really BUGS me.. but thats another post!

Doesn;t biother me when they come to this country and don;t speak English. What gets me is when they've been here for years and don;t speak the language. I learned enough Tagalog, Icelandic Italian and Spanish to get by when I was in those countrys but I refused to learn japanese or chinese.

Well, I think I would have made a good proofreader. Spelling mistakes just really stand out when I'm reading anything. Its actually surprising given that there is now spell check just how many mistakes I see even when I'm reading books. I don't believe that spelling has anything to do with a person's intelligence though as my Dad, my wife and my youngest son are all notoriously poor spellers and they all seem pretty smart to me.

Don't want to sound to pompous here, but not every one has a degree in English grammer, and not everyone types with all of their fingers. Some people write as they speak, and think faster than their fingers can go on the keyboard, does it really matter we are not here for examination purposes we are here for fun and information. If people don't like what they see or read then don't come on here. There is an off switch on the computer. When I was a teacher and saw bad grammer and spelling it was irksome, as it made you wonder why you bothered, but now as a lay person it doesn't bother me. People are what people are. As long as I know what I am doing, and it doesn't hurt me why worry. We can't all be Einstein.

What truley bugs me is people that are bugged by punctuation and spelling. Go be a uptight teacher and lecture some kids because no body whats to hear you complain. If you can't figure out what people are saying you should try to gain some common sense, booky.

It's funny, I can proof read and see mistakes in others writings but I can't for the life of me proof read myself. Seems my brain just reads what I wanted to write/type regardless of what I actually did. I see it here on this board in my writing after the fact.

Limomike":17fm04i4 said:

Limo,

I just read an article in a trade magazine "Why Hispanics don't speak English". In this article it tells me that as an employer I have a "duty" to learn to communicate with my employees by learning spanish!

My pet peeve is gossip. Don't pretend to be my friend and then tell other people my business like you're "in-the-know". If you're my friend, you'll keep your mouth shut just as I would do for you!

Another pet peeve... handouts. I'll give you the world if you are a hard worker and deserve a break. But I think we all know of people who do nothing and expect everything. I won't lift a finger to help someone who won't help themself.

One last one... false prophets. I've done bible study and its very clear when someone doesn't live what they profess to believe. I am no saint.... but then I don't claim to be...I work hard and pray hard....we're all a work in progress.

I, too am bothered by lack of grammar or punctuation, but I understand that electronic communication is informal so those rules don't necessarily apply. I generally accept that people are just trying to get a point across to the best of their ability and that's okay. I make my share of mistakes.

What cracks me up are people who have gotten on here asking questions about which college to attend... and they can't spell the word "college". Makes me really wonder about the state of our written language.

Auctionboy, I am one of those teachers who lectures people on grammar and spelling. Someone needs to lecture you on your lack of manners.

Wisteria Farms":2c2jxwhn said:
Limomike":2c2jxwhn said:

Another pet peeve... handouts. I'll give you the world if you are a hard worker and deserve a break. But I think we all know of people who do nothing and expect everything. I won't lift a finger to help someone who won't help themself.

One last one... false prophets. I've done bible study and its very clear when someone doesn't live what they profess to believe. I am no saint.... but then I don't claim to be...I work hard and pray hard....we're all a work in progress.

Amen. I am tired of people touting "their" brand of Christianity over someone else's. Stop wasting time trying to predict when The Rapture is coming and get to work learning to love your fellow man like we are supposed to. Live the example.

As far as spelling/grammer goes... my pet peeve is when someone starts talking about their (singular) cow's "udders". For those who don't know, a bovine has one udder that consists of four quarters and one teat per quarter. (Extra teats are a whole 'nuther subject.)

So that's my pet peeve. :lol: :p

Macdon, could we have spell check please? If at all possible.

I guess I have gotten lazy about capitals. Should know better, passed english with honors...twenty years ago :oops:

When I was a store manager I had an employee who was one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. She was studying to be a Geologist and working part-time for me. She had horrible spelling and didn't care about it. It was sad but people thought she was stupid because of her poor spelling and grammar. She finally realized this and started learning to spell correctly. Her grades improved and she got a better job because of it.
I can be in a hurry and spell incorrectly or use poor grammar when on the board and I think everyone here can. Minor errors don't bother me. However, I do find some posts hard to read that are not capitalized, have no punctuation, poor grammar and misspelling to extremes. I've probably missed some very good information because I have gotten lost trying to read some posters version of English.
My mother always told us to never underestimate the impact that speaking and writing properly has. I guess it stuck with me.

backhoeboogie":2ra07crt said:
I admire those who make huge points with few words, even if they have bad grammar.
Agreed.
What bugs me is someone that uses three or more words, which all mean the same thing, when one would do just fine.
Gets too hard to work through all the rhetoric. I just don't even try to read them anymore.

flaboy?":374likdp said:
It's funny, I can proof read and see mistakes in others writings but I can't for the life of me proof read myself. Seems my brain just reads what I wanted to write/type regardless of what I actually did. I see it here on this board in my writing after the fact.

I agree! That happens to me all the time. Or it looks fine until I print it out and whops, there it is.

I was not meaning to be judgmental in any way. Just seemed that a nerve had been touched in the other thread. I thought it may be interesting to actually give a more appropriate place for folks to vent their peeves.
I also agree that education doesn't necessarily "educate", my Dad only went thru the 8th grade and he was one of the smartest men I have known.

Latest posts