Pastures full of Black Berry Briars

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a couple of patches of these briars on a pasture hillside. I was thinking about hitting them with 2-4-D while cleaning up one of the pastures. Will 2-4-D do anything to the briars? If so, what strength?

I guess I need to read the 2-4-D label but havn't yet since it is stored in the basement.

Nowland Farms":2v8ymavu said:
I have a couple of patches of these briars on a pasture hillside. I was thinking about hitting them with 2-4-D while cleaning up one of the pastures. Will 2-4-D do anything to the briars? If so, what strength?

I guess I need to read the 2-4-D label but havn't yet since it is stored in the basement.
all D will do is burn em and they will be back next yr

Nowland Farms":2qqvn0u5 said:

I use a mix of about a 1/2 - 1 pint Remedy with 1-2 pints of 2,4-d per acre. Use a really good surfactant. You need to really wet the leaves good. I use a stronger mix if I'm putting out less water (10 gallons/acre). Some probably will probably be back next year but you will get a bunch of them.

1982vett":dy7pcq3p said:
Nowland Farms":dy7pcq3p said:

I use a mix of about a 1/2 - 1 pint Remedy with 1-2 pints of 2,4-d per acre. Use a really good surfactant. You need to really wet the leaves good. I use a stronger mix if I'm putting out less water (10 gallons/acre). Some probably will probably be back next year but you will get a bunch of them.
I like the 2,4-d or Grazon in the mix with the Remedy too. Seems to be more effective then just Remedy alone.

dun":3ifvyr0c said:
1982vett":3ifvyr0c said:
I like the 2,4-d or Grazon in the mix with the Remedy too. Seems to be more effective then just Remedy alone.[/quote]
same here
I use 1/3 of remedy and 1oz 2-4D per gallon of water and if spraying pastures I spray 20 gal per acre

spot spraying I might increase to 1.5oz of D with 1/2oz remedy

Angus Cowman":3c0hq8um said:
dun":3c0hq8um said:
1982vett":3c0hq8um said:
I like the 2,4-d or Grazon in the mix with the Remedy too. Seems to be more effective then just Remedy alone.
same here
I use 1/3 of remedy and 1oz 2-4D per gallon of water and if spraying pastures I spray 20 gal per acre

spot spraying I might increase to 1.5oz of D with 1/2oz remedy[/quote]
I mix a full dose of both I just scale it back to what I need for 10 gallons based on the 20 gallons per acre rate that I use with the boom sprayer. I guess that boils down to half of what I would use per acre. DAH, never thought of it that way, I've alwasy done the pint conversion stuff rather then just figure 50%. Old dog - new trick!

Well, I went and check a pasture I sprayed about a month ago. Haven't looked at it in several weeks. Had visions of nothing but brown, dead weeds but that isn't what I found. They are definitly sick but not dead. But then, they aren't growing either. The first 3 are of pasture that hasn't had any weed control other than shredding for quite a few years. It lies across a creek from the last picture and doesn't have easy water access for spraying and is generally out of sight and out of mind. It does have county road access, but it is about 6 or 7 miles to go around.
These pictures are supposed to show what 8oz of Remedy and 2/10ths oz of Cimarex will do. The reason for Cimarex is this property lies in a 2,4-d restricted zone.

This first one was a spot of dewberry. Hard to make it out. Still had some hint of green leaves but very sick looking vine. No sign of new growth so just maybe just a slow death. You can see the Bitter Sneezeweed hasn't died either, but it isn't makeing seed.
002.jpg

Really mixed effect on the Greenbriar. Some it hasn't seemed to touch and others it is working on.
003.jpg

Pretty much got all the broadleaf weeds dried up except for the ragweed. I've noticed it seems to be rather tough this year even where it was sprayed with 2,4-d.
006.jpg

Hmmm, seems I had a little pressure problem....... This is in an area I had run a shredder over to get rid of the winter leftovers. When the Doveweed stuck it's head above the grass I let it have it. Only problem is the pressure guage was lying to me and I wasn't getting the spread reach the nozzle should have gotten. This pasture has been regularly sprayed with Remedy and Cimarex.
008.jpg

firemen122":3dr9qxlf said:
Around my area a field full of blackberrys is a sure sign you need lime and a plenty of it. :mrgreen:
Naw, I won't buy that. Around here they will grow where ever a bird poops them out.

I imagine that Florida sand leaches nutrients so fast, lime is only one of the things the soil needs.

1982vett":uegm4qd7 said:
firemen122":uegm4qd7 said:
Around my area a field full of blackberrys is a sure sign you need lime and a plenty of it. :mrgreen:
Naw, I won't buy that. Around here they will grow where ever a bird poops them out.

I imagine that Florida sand leaches nutrients so fast, lime is only one of the things the soil needs.
Same here. They grow just as well in the field that just tested 7.1 as the one that tested 6.0. We just did tests on 6 fields and that was the range of ph. All of them have the cursed balckberries growing in them.

All I can tell you is what works for me. I had cut over timber ground covered in blackberries. I cleared planted tifton 9 and limed heavy. My p/h was 5.4 and 5.2 in each 20 plus acre area. After around 18 months hardly a briar to be found and thick pasture. Any old timer in my area will tell you if you have what we call broomsage and blackberries it is a sure sign you need lime. I am sure diffrent things work in diffrent places.

firemen122":1wuvd0sl said:
All I can tell you is what works for me. I had cut over timber ground covered in blackberries. I cleared planted tifton 9 and limed heavy. My p/h was 5.4 and 5.2 in each 20 plus acre area. After around 18 months hardly a briar to be found and thick pasture. Any old timer in my area will tell you if you have what we call broomsage and blackberries it is a sure sign you need lime. I am sure diffrent things work in diffrent places.
The old timer is a bit behind. Lately they've decided it isn;t the ph that is the problem with broom sedge it's one of the common three but not N that is the problem.

I have to agree with Fireman on this one. In my area, broomsedge is a sure sign of lack of lime. Gov't stepped in with a new CRP program where they wanted you to plant broomsedge on cropland. On land farmed by non-insurance farmers this was a total waste of tax dollars cause the broomsedge would not grow if the pH was right. BUT, if lime releases fixed nutrients that would otherwise be tied up then I can see that too. But lime will get rid of broomsedge here.

Jogeephus":3ha4ynot said:
I have to agree with Fireman on this one. In my area, broomsedge is a sure sign of lack of lime. Gov't stepped in with a new CRP program where they wanted you to plant broomsedge on cropland. On land farmed by non-insurance farmers this was a total waste of tax dollars cause the broomsedge would not grow if the pH was right. BUT, if lime releases fixed nutrients that would otherwise be tied up then I can see that too. But lime will get rid of broomsedge here.
does here in Missouri also

Angus Cowman":1mwj3xh5 said:
Jogeephus":1mwj3xh5 said:
does here in Missouri also
Our only field that has broomsedge just tested at 6.10. It's also the only one with grease grass.
Supposedly the bluestems don;t require as high of ph or fertility as the CSG does. Broomsedge is a bluestem, not sure waht grease grass is, maybe a panicum.

Hey, how did we get from black berries to broomsedge being an equal sign of needing lime? Blackberry ph recommendations go from 5.5 - 7. Same recommendations of a lot of "improved" grasses.

Latest posts