Red River or Mojo crabgrass in fescue pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

My experience, crabgrass will come on strong at the time that fescue is fading in the summer. Sounds like a good match. But if there are not enough cows grazing continuously to keep the crabgrass eaten, it will overwhelm the fescue and smother it out quite a bit. Resulting in a thinner stand of fescue.
Saw your post yesterday and thought it was interesting you said the crabgrass would end up somewhat smothering the fescue. That seemed a bit out of character for the red river crabgrass (in my neck of the woods) and then I noticed you were in South Carolina. That explains everything and your example shows how what works in one part of the country one way might work totally different or not at all in another part.

It works well in that it breaks up the compaction and doesn't destroy the Bahia.
The goal/intent is to 'shake things up a bit', not 'pulverize and obliterate'. You don't want too much of a good thing. I posted earlier on this thread that I know a producer that uses a light discing every 2-4 years. I like the idea of the harrow better as it still creates the needed disturbance but does less damage to the perennial grass, whether it be fescue or Bahia.

It doesn't take very much disturbance for the crabgrass to germinate, apparently. That's a nice looking harrow, but can't tear up too much with it, I wouldn't think.
Crabgrass seed is often mixed and spread with fertilizer when top dressing wheat in the early spring here.

Latest posts