Pastures full of Black Berry Briars

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
My pastures are full of black berry briars. My preacher loves picking them as the cows keep it moved down around them. My question is will regular moving get rid of them or do I need to spray the fields and start over?

hillbillycwo":2880v8rv said:
My pastures are full of black berry briars. My preacher loves picking them as the cows keep it moved down around them. My question is will regular moving get rid of them or do I need to spray the fields and start over?
You need to spray mowing won't get rid of them
Dun put a post on here a week or so ago he is using Surmount and having good results with it

Mowing isn't going to get rid of them.
Digging them is like chopping Johnson grass. Spraying is going to be your mode of action.

Don't know exactly what you mean by the "start over" statement. Blackberry can be controlled without hurting pasture grasses.

Thanks Vette and BC. I will look up Dunn's comments as well. That link BC was very helpful. I have about 30 acres to treat and will look at the cost for the treatments indicated. By starting over I was thinking of a total kill out and drilling in fescue and red clover in the spring if I can get into the fields. That was sort of planned last year but did not happen. I am planning on (considering) broadcasting fescue with some lime this fall with some fall fertillizer to but no Ammonia.

hillbillycwo":rbedm075 said:
Thanks Vette and BC. I will look up Dunn's comments as well. That link BC was very helpful. I have about 30 acres to treat and will look at the cost for the treatments indicated. By starting over I was thinking of a total kill out and drilling in fescue and red clover in the spring if I can get into the fields. That was sort of planned last year but did not happen. I am planning on (considering) broadcasting fescue with some lime this fall with some fall fertillizer to but no Ammonia.
If you kill the fscue the cahnces of getting rid of the berries is still about nil. Surmount is pricey but it works so well I think it turns out cheaper then some alternativesd for the simple reason that you only have to do it once.

Get some goats!

I got some and any new batches of undesirable Black Locust, which are really thorny, is all they want to eat.

Many parts of Oregon have lots of goats, because they browse on just these things.

CJK,
Plenty of goats in my area. They tend to draw the coyotes and eat the grass just like the cows in our area. I know lots of folks keep them for that purpose but why would they eat briars when they can have grass? Just my thoughts on that one.

Dun, how long do you have to keep cows off the field after you use that stuff?

I have good results with Remedy. I use a little over a quart per 25 gallons with a 12 volt 3.8 gpm boomless sprayer. Works well for other woody sprouts too. Doesn't hurt my grass unless I overdo it with the hand spray nozzle.

I am thinking and studying on what Dunn recommended. Just wonder after reading that label if I can use my 4 wheeler and sprayer setup and hit the patches of briars like that.

gabby":3j3n691x said:
I have good results with Remedy. I use a little over a quart per 25 gallons with a 12 volt 3.8 gpm boomless sprayer. Works well for other woody sprouts too. Doesn't hurt my grass unless I overdo it with the hand spray nozzle.
thats a lil excessive on the remedy 12 to 14oz per 25 gallon should be plenty and should get the same results
gets pretty pricey also $17.50 per 25 gal of spray mix

hillbillycwo":f55jzra6 said:
I am thinking and studying on what Dunn recommended. Just wonder after reading that label if I can use my 4 wheeler and sprayer setup and hit the patches of briars like that.
You have to be able to closely calibrate the actual volume you're putting down. If you can do that with your 4 wheeler it will work. With my Mule sprayer I can;t get it calibrated (haven;t bothered futzing with it) so I would either cost way more then it needs to or you wouldn;t get enough down to be effective.

There is also a generic Remedy out called Relegate. Runs about $15 gal cheaper where i have been buying. I've been using it about six weeks on mesquite and so far it has been working the same as the real stuff.

bird dog":32re02go said:
There is also a generic Remedy out called Relegate. Runs about $15 gal cheaper where i have been buying. I've been using it about six weeks on mesquite and so far it has been working the same as the real stuff.
alos one called Clear Pasture that I have used before with good results but I am using the Remedy Ultra this yr

Red Bull Breeder":3frin17t said:
Must be some weak tit blackberries in MO, Remedy just does a halfassed job on them around here.
Depends on when you hit them with it. The problem I had with just Remedy is they came back the next year so it took a second treatment. I'll know for sure next year about the Surmount.

dun":2jmp4v9r said:
Red Bull Breeder":2jmp4v9r said:
Must be some weak tit blackberries in MO, Remedy just does a halfassed job on them around here.
Depends on when you hit them with it. The problem I had with just Remedy is they came back the next year so it took a second treatment. I'll know for sure next year about the Surmount.
From what I have seen, the Surmount will do a good job.

Latest posts