Pasture Ornaments vs Hamburger Hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

Chippie, that's why we don't have our LH Bull anymore. He was a gorgeous creature, but he was constantly jumping over the neighbors fence to fight w/his bull. He sold for WAY more than we paid for him though, which made it even nicer to watch him go. Crazy cows are cull cows for me. Never seen one so wonderful it was worth getting hurt for.

chippie":2z5a0k35 said:
I had a longhorn cow. She was a very attractive cow. Brightly colored with crazy twisty horns like a J. Frank Dobie longhorn. She was a fence jumper. Finally I got tired of people stopping to tell me that she was out so I hauled her to the auction.

I only lost $78 on her.

Speckles....

255899281_5sTTU-M.jpg

I was very disappointed with her.

A friend has longhorn cross cows in South Texas. Their horns are cut for ease in working. He likes them because they are hardy and thrive on the sparse vegetation plus they will protect their calves. He hires helicopters to round them up. They are some wild and crazy cattle.

Wonder if it has to do with the name Speckles? Friend of mine has a LH cow named that...she can be a pill at times Ive been told. :lol:

farmwriter":3kpgxwo1 said:
Chippie, that's why we don't have our LH Bull anymore. He was a gorgeous creature, but he was constantly jumping over the neighbors fence......
That is what did in our Longhorn heifer bull. He was reall laid back and easy to handle and he served his purpose for one season; but when my Grandfather fished him out of the neighbors' pool for the second time he was out of here.

In defense of Longhorn bulls, we have had several as gomer bulls and never had any problem keeping them home. The last one would spend a lot of time on the fence beside the road bellering, pawing, and fussing with the neighbor's bull across the road. But he never tried to get out.

We got them as youngsters and before they were dehorned, they could and did make good use of those little horns.

We have Longhorn cattle in two counties-we also have several leased places and most don't have the greatest fencing, we also keep a bull year around with each herd and as a rule don't have trouble with them roaming. One started last year and he went to hamburger heaven even though he was a heck of a bull. Don't have time to deal with one that is constantly a problem, they won't be here long.

We run mostly commercial Hereford cows, but have at times used some Angus bulls in the herd. We breed all of our first calf heifers to a Longhorn bull. Never a problem with calving, much easier on a first calf heifer. We retain most of the heifers adding them to our herd they make very good cows. They increase fertility, doing ability and disease resistance. The best heifer that we retained last year was out of a half longhorn hereford cow. Sire was a Hereford bull. You wouldnt know that she had any longhorn in her, she looks just like a Hereford heifer, and Im sure she will make a great cow.

Latest posts