Pasture Ornaments vs Hamburger Hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

We don't tip ours of course but we sell bull calves to ropers sometimes and they tip their horns when they get too long for roping. I see alot of tipped cows being bred to Char bulls and I assume that these cows were used as ropers when they were young and then put into production. I know that this is a very good cross. I see bulls with tipped horns being ridden in rodeos. We have a bull that had close to 70" of horn tip to tip before he broke off about 4" on one horn and 3" on the other. He does fine and has no problems.

I don't see why a bull with tipped horns would be a problem, I really don't see why you would want to tip the horns unless you're afraid of them. I would think that an animal with shorter horns could do more damage to other animals than one with long horns. My dad has some cows with small horns and I've seen them just tear into another cows' side with them. Our big horned cows don't damage each other with their horns.

Bottom line and IVe said this before..

Its your money
Your time
your animals..

piss on anyone who wants to cut you down. :) I am glad you are enjoying your longhorns. a friend of mine raises them..he doesnt do it for profit, simply because he enjoys it. in this area, he takes a big hit at the sale barn with them, but he doesnt care. Glad yours are marketable for you and glad you are enjoying it...that is all that matters..

Thank you for serving our country..are you AF, Army? My husband is AF and in Kuwait right now.

Sarah

spinandslide":2r67sjak said:

Its your money
Your time
your animals..

be nice on anyone who wants to cut you down. :) I am glad you are enjoying your longhorns. a friend of mine raises them..he doesnt do it for profit, simply because he enjoys it. in this area, he takes a big hit at the sale barn with them, but he doesnt care. Glad yours are marketable for you and glad you are enjoying it...that is all that matters..

Thank you for serving our country..are you AF, Army? My husband is AF and in Kuwait right now.

Sarah
man it's hard too believe, that he don't care.... i guess thats the biggest reason i changed my program because i do...but im a sold out sumbit$# .cause it wasnt hard for me too learn too like a breed that put extra green in my pocket

alacattleman":350rb55u said:
spinandslide":350rb55u said:

Its your money
Your time
your animals..

be nice on anyone who wants to cut you down. :) I am glad you are enjoying your longhorns. a friend of mine raises them..he doesnt do it for profit, simply because he enjoys it. in this area, he takes a big hit at the sale barn with them, but he doesnt care. Glad yours are marketable for you and glad you are enjoying it...that is all that matters..

Sarah
man it's hard too believe, that he don't care.... i guess thats the biggest reason i changed my program because i do...but im a sold out sumbit$# .cause it wasnt hard for me too learn too like a breed that put extra green in my pocket

Its the truth..I like looking at longhorns, but they dont sell well around here..they take a very big hit in the salebarn.
I went with the old reliable..black with ear...they always seem popular down my way. :) But im of the mindset, whatever floats your boat and makes you happy.

I hope ya'll (everyone ) starts raising them longhorns, I sure will make a lot of money selling good beef cattle then.. There is only so many rexall rancher, and people that want Longhorns in their pasture(I admit I like them,their looks), I still only have anought grass for beef,no hores and no LH's. I am old enough to have watch the cattle business run in circles a couple of times,and I do not think I will live long enought to see LH's become a real beef animal. It does seem to be alot of LH breeders on this board.

Sorry pal, but they're the original beef breed. And they're still good, lean beef. No, not everyone is going to breed them and that's cool but they're very economical, low maintenance and have alot to offer. They've not been bred to where you have genetic flaws like some other beef breeds here in the US. To each his own. It's funny how when a Longhorn thread gets on here that some folks feel the need to bash them. Guess I'm secure enough with them to take it.

I do not bash them(LH) they are a breed that nearly went the way of the dino because of their poor peformance,no lie just fact. Had not been for the novity of them they would be gone. I also wonder how much outside breeds have been mixed with them because of their small gene pool? There is nothing bashed on this board more then the Black Angus,and it is a true beef cow for hunderds of years. The Hereford was called the great improver because of the effect they had on the LH'S and yet I say the Black Angus is truly that.That is the reason that Simm,Limm, Gel,Herefords,anything you can name has turn BLACK, and that is the truth. I as bet my cows , in my Tennessee grass , will out preform them LH in about half the time. I can only show you about 300 head of LH in a 50 mile radious of me, and I would not trade my poorest cow for 2 of their best. Less do a poll, if you have more than say 50 ac. of grass, I mean real grass , not that desert stuff, WHAT DO YOU RAISE? Less cull out the hobbie farmers and Who raises LH'S? Are there any large LH producers out there? All Anyoes has to say Is I love them and I totally understand, but to Argue How good LH'S are, well I do not get it.

If Black cows are your thing----- Well be it !! I'll take 1 Longhorn to 3 FAT Lethargic Angus anyday !!! That's what makes the world go around !!! :cboy:

alftn":mcguhq5s said:
I do not bash them(LH) they are a breed that nearly went the way of the dino because of their poor peformance,no lie just fact. Had not been for the novity of them they would be gone. I also wonder how much outside breeds have been mixed with them because of their small gene pool? There is nothing bashed on this board more then the Black Angus,and it is a true beef cow for hunderds of years. The Hereford was called the great improver because of the effect they had on the LH'S and yet I say the Black Angus is truly that.That is the reason that Simm,Limm, Gel,Herefords,anything you can name has turn BLACK, and that is the truth. I as bet my cows , in my Tennessee grass , will out preform them LH in about half the time. I can only show you about 300 head of LH in a 50 mile radious of me, and I would not trade my poorest cow for 2 of their best. Less do a poll, if you have more than say 50 ac. of grass, I mean real grass , not that desert stuff, WHAT DO YOU RAISE? Less cull out the hobbie farmers and Who raises LH'S? Are there any large LH producers out there? All Anyoes has to say Is I love them and I totally understand, but to Argue How good LH'S are, well I do not get it.

Nonsense. Nothing against Angus, but the reason all those breeds turned black is because of the color, not the breed. Because of CAB, the packers started paying more for black hides so that's what people wanted. If they wanted Angus, they would have changed over to Angus, but they didn't want Angus, just the black hide. They wanted to keep the traits they liked about their chosen breeds, only they wanted them black. Do you really think an animal that's 15/16 Gelbvieh and 1/16 Angus is going to show a lot of Angus traits, other than the color?

As for Longhorns, why should anyone care what another person raises? From what I've seen, the Longhorn breeders on this forum are what it should be about. They answer questions with patience and respect, even when their breed is being bashed and they're being looked down upon. And I'm not talking about some cut and paste from some association website. They give real answers with real knowledge that they've gained from experience. They are happy doing what they're doing and are secure enough that they don't care what others think about it. They don't get snotty and defensive and there's none of this "rah rah my breed is best" crap.

Yes, there are a lot of other breeders on here that do it the same way, but there are many that don't. It seems to be across the board with the Longhorn breeders, though. The bottom line is there's a place for everyone and every breed. Live and let live.

Longhorns are not for me, but i make a buck or two ever few years selling bulls to people to go on longhorn cows.Longhorn cows can be bought fairly cheap around here most of the time. Live on pretty rough pastures and raise a calf ever year. I have a couple of friends who run LH cows and use Limi or Char bulls on them their cows wean off 6 weight steers that sell fairly well. They don't spend much on there cows.

VanC":13n9ds17 said:
Nonsense. Nothing against Angus, but the reason all those breeds turned black is because of the color, not the breed. Because of CAB, the packers started paying more for black hides so that's what people wanted. If they wanted Angus, they would have changed over to Angus, but they didn't want Angus, just the black hide. They wanted to keep the traits they liked about their chosen breeds, only they wanted them black. Do you really think an animal that's 15/16 Gelbvieh and 1/16 Angus is going to show a lot of Angus traits, other than the color?

This is nonsense, Van. Maybe other breeds didn't want "Angus", but they wanted the calving ease, the feed efficiency, the maternal traits, marbling, along with the color. That's why they crossed with Angus. I'd suggest that today many of those black breeds are way more than 1/16th Angus. In fact, some of the most popular, Balancer, Limflex, can and are 50% Angus.

Red Bull Breeder":3jqepsdh said:
The Limflex can be from 25 precent to 75 precent either way Frankie. Some PB Limi's are as low as 84 precent actual limousin.

Thank you.

alftn,
Actually the Longhorn was not a poor performer, it was the opposite. They were so hardy that when the first Herefords came over they were bred on the hardy Longhorn stock and they crossed so well that bred them selves out of a job. The first Herefords and Shorthorns that were brought over basically withered and died. The demand for tallow (fat) caused these other breeds to flourish. We still feed these fat cattle and waste the fat that is not edible. You feed your black cattle and love em and I'll do the same with mine. If you feel like a bigger person by knocking some one's cattle go ahead. The Angus and the Longhorn are two totally different breeds. Many people seem to love Angus and that's cool, raise what you like but you don't have to bash other breeds. The Longhorn actually has a very large and diverse gene pool. I'll remind you that I haven't seen any of the genetic flaws in the Longhorn breed that the Angus has going on right now. No curly calf Longhorns that I'm aware of. When I started hearing about that I thought it was kind of ironic that so many people are so blinded by the "chosen" breed, they constantly remind everyone else how great their breed is-oh well I guess nothing's perfect now is it? I will say that the Angus Association has done a great job of marketing, they've made Angus a household word.

As for the Longhorn breed itself, it is a breed that evolved from Spanish stock brought over nearly 500 years ago, there were infusions of Hereford and Durham (Shorthorn) blood from cattle brought over later by the settlers. I'n sure that there have been some other blood slipped into some herds by cheaters who want bigger bodies or bigger horns. But these would be very minute infusions and would not cover the whole Longhorn breed. As for the Angus, I remember them as a kid when we had them and how quickly they went from the small teddy bear cows to these big, tall, rangier cattle almost overnight. And then of course, the white switches and udders showed up and oh yeah some scurs too. Wonder how those got there? Oops, someone threw a little Holstein blood in to get a bigger frame. I guess it wouldn't be fair to say that the breed as a whole has foreign blood, I'm sure there are some herds that are still pure. For instance, I was in North Carolina last weekend at the NC State Ag Experiment Station in Reidsville and they have an outstanding herd of Angus that has been a closed herd since the 1950's. No outside blood has been brought in. Now that is pretty impressive to me.

Frankie":29enxtbw said:
VanC":29enxtbw said:

This is nonsense, Van. Maybe other breeds didn't want "Angus", but they wanted the calving ease, the feed efficiency, the maternal traits, marbling, along with the color. That's why they crossed with Angus. I'd suggest that today many of those black breeds are way more than 1/16th Angus. In fact, some of the most popular, Balancer, Limflex, can and are 50% Angus.

Horse manure. Are you trying to tell me there are NO other breeds that can give all those traits as good or better than Angus? Wake up!! Where was Angus in the grand scheme of things before the packers started paying premiums for black hides? Are you trying to say that all these wonderful traits suddenly appeared out of thin air about the same time the packers started paying premiums for black hides? Bull. Those traits were always there. It's the color that got people to switch. As for Balancer, Limflex, Simangus, etc., I'm talking about breeds, not crossbreds. Here's the question I asked in my previous post:

Do you really think an animal that's 15/16 Gelbvieh and 1/16 Angus is going to show a lot of Angus traits, other than the color?

Can you answer it?

VanC":3se86zq8 said:
Horse manure. Are you trying to tell me there are NO other breeds that can give all those traits as good or better than Angus? Wake up!! Where was Angus in the grand scheme of things before the packers started paying premiums for black hides? Are you trying to say that all these wonderful traits suddenly appeared out of thin air about the same time the packers started paying premiums for black hides? Bull. Those traits were always there. It's the color that got people to switch. As for Balancer, Limflex, Simangus, etc., I'm talking about breeds, not crossbreds. Here's the question I asked in my previous post:

Do you really think an animal that's 15/16 Gelbvieh and 1/16 Angus is going to show a lot of Angus traits, other than the color?

Can you answer it?

Yes, I'm telling you that NO other breed offers all the traits that Angus offers. Tell me one that does? Not Hereford. The carcass quality and calving ease aren't there. Not most Continentals. Calving ease killed them. Salers offer calving ease, but they had other problems that kept them from being widely used. Shorthorns, Maines? Not a chance. These wonderful Angus traits didn't appear out of thin air. They were always there. Many cattlemen left them behind in the chase for bigger is better. Once they hit the wall with being too big to fit the box, calving problems, calf survival problems, they needed to rethink their programs. Angus offered it all for a cross breeding option. CAB was established when Continentals hit this country and pushed British breeds to the brink. But it took about 20 years for CAB to become successful. None of it happened overnight.

I don't know what Angus traits a 1/16 Angus-Gelbvieh would show. I don't see Gelbvieh around here; at least that I know are Gelbvieh. LimFlex and Balancers are "crossbred" but a 15/16 Gelbvieh isn't? Interesting selective thinking there, Van. :lol:

Latest posts