Pasture Ornaments vs Hamburger Hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Frankie... Cattle went Black by use of Angus genetic, BECAUSE THE BUYERS, knew the black hide cattle(angus) were better preformers.The buyers Not CAB turned cattle Black ( or should I say the cattle men turn their cattle black tring to pass them of as Angus.. As for me I prefer Shorthorn, but east of the mississippi they hardly exist, and if you find them , they are high$. I start into the cattle business the 2nd time tring to buy polled Herefords, after visiting 3 breeders, my wallet was not fat enought. I bought b. angus.. I knew that I did not want the show ring, or novity items, I raise beef to eat. I grass feed my little B Angus (1200 lbs) and finish my steers 6 weeks or so on Ber. hay and a little corn. I usually kill at 24 to 30 months with hoof weight on steers of 1250 to 1400 lbs. I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I EAT, EATS. Although my wife saier no more pigs. SO I poise the question again, ARE THERE ANY LARGE BREEDERS OF LONGHORN AND, IF SO ARE YOU RAISIN BEEF OR ROPERS? OR IN OTHER WORDS IF THIS BOARD WAS CALLED BEEF TODAY WOULD THERE BE LONGHORN CATTLE HERE? I truly did not mean to Bash LH's .

I'll guess I'll jump in here...lol.

The Longhorn people posting on this thread (and others) have very much already said the "benefits" of Texas Longhorn cattle.

In our own operation, we have 4 bulls in service and one coming into service this year. We do a lot of mixing and matching in our breeding, based on prior performance, genetics, horn and body potential, and other important traits.

We are definitely not a "Hobby Breeder" and our current herd is approaching 80 this year after spring calving season is over. We sell our breeding stock throughout the USA. We also sell an occasional bull to a commercial producer for cross-breeding to his/her first time heifer cattle (and others).

Our program is two-fold: Full bodies and body + horn growth. We have solid black and solid red stock. And, a lot of color patterns to boot. We just recently leased out our yearling homozogyous black bull to a local producer of "other" breeds.

Our program is USDA/FSIS natural grass fed beef. Our hanging weights on ones we've slaughtered range between 45% and 55% of live weight. Since Longhorns are naturally lean (not to be confused with a "skinny, bony, rangy body") there is very little excess fat that has to be thrown away at the processor. The excess fat that is trimmed doesn't make you any money and you have previously "paid" for that discarded fat in feed, water, minerals that you don't get any $$ back for that discarded fat & bone.

Longhorns, as a rule, require only about 80% of forage/hay that other breeds do to keep condition. They readily eat weeds along with grass and good hay. Ours maintain a BCS of 5 on the average...you don't want a "6" or "7" on a Longhorn.

According to industry statistics, Longhorns have a ~99% calving rate by themselves...no pulling. I will admit, however, that in 8 years of breeding and raising Longhorns, we did have to pull 1 calf---it was an unfortunate breech stillbirth on a 5-6 year old cow that previously had no problems calving. Stuff happens.

Rather than bore people with a bunch of photos of our animals on a thread, I recommend that anyone interested is seeing any of our animals go to our website for many photos of our Longhorns and our infrastructure in general.

While some Longhorn producers emphasize and breed for body (only?), we try to breed for both. After all, the historic legacy of the Texas Longhorn speaks for itself. "What part of Long Horn don't people understand?" LOL!

Have a nice day and a VERY SAFE Memorial Day weekend! After all, our Troops have made the USA a safe place to live in! Lest not forget them!

Keren":2fmigxys said:
Frankie":2fmigxys said:
Yes, I'm telling you that NO other breed offers all the traits that Angus offers.

This has to be one of the funniest sentences posted on CT in a while

LOL!!! Git R Done, Keren!

There are people that bash other's programs and breeds...
There are people that attribute Godlike quality to their own program and breed...
There are people that do what they want to do and are happy doing it...
Then, there's the rest of the breeders...priceless

:cowboy:

Keren":oezorxsh said:
Frankie":oezorxsh said:
Yes, I'm telling you that NO other breed offers all the traits that Angus offers.

Always glad to bring a smile to someone's face. :D

Running Arrow Bill":1vkgptzj said:
Keren":1vkgptzj said:
Frankie":1vkgptzj said:

LOL!!! Git R Done, Keren!

There are people that bash other's programs and breeds...
There are people that attribute Godlike quality to their own program and breed...
There are people that do what they want to do and are happy doing it...
Then, there's the rest of the breeders...priceless

:cowboy:

I've not bashed your breed or your program in this thread. Why should I bother? And I don't attribute Godlike qualities to my program or breed. And I'm very happy to raise Angus cows.

Unlike some folks, I don't claim Angus cows live on dirt while I'm feeding them grain. I don't claim they can live without water while I've built extensive pens and water lines to pump water in for them. And I'm still breeding Angus black, not crossbreeding with another breed to get a saleable animal like some folks. :D

Frankie":2ra99ffm said:
Keren":2ra99ffm said:
Frankie":2ra99ffm said:

I'm sure I will edit this when I wake up in the morning. Lol. But until then, I've had cattle that were mainly Angus and have preferred other breeds when it has come to performance. I definitely will not use Angus in the future, they are way too average and with all of the genetic disorders it is just asking for problems. Along with not using Angus, I probably will never use anything black, it's just watered down Angus no matter what breed they claim it is.

I'm sorry but i prefer colored over black any day, no matter the "breed". BTW Chi, limo, and Sim are not black, no matter what angusized show industry says.

Frankie":2kuxz0vz said:
Keren":2kuxz0vz said:
Frankie":2kuxz0vz said:

Sorry you took my post personally, Frankie... It was not directed to you. It was a bit of "levity" and tongue-in-cheek comment. ;-)

So please don't take my or others' comments as an attack... just lighten up a little and have a great and safe Memorial Day!

:)

I've had polled Hereford, Shorthorn. Simmies and.........they have all had their own benefits that I liked and some that I disliked. I cannot really say that I DIDN"T like any of them. I have found much more sucess and personal fullfillment out of raising Longhorn Cattle.

Heck......I just love CATTLE period. My thing is the LH.

Have a great day!!!!

Always glad to bring a smile to someone's face. :D[/quote]
I'm sure I will edit this when I wake up in the morning. Lol. But until then, I've had cattle that were mainly Angus and have preferred other breeds when it has come to performance. I definitely will not use Angus in the future, they are way too average and with all of the genetic disorders it is just asking for problems. Along with not using Angus, I probably will never use anything black, it's just watered down Angus no matter what breed they claim it is.

I'm sorry but i prefer colored over black any day, no matter the "breed". BTW Chi, limo, and Sim are not black, no matter what angusized show industry says.[/quote]......... black is a color,, and as long as they keep puttin' green in my pocket im gonna raise em......

alftn":f4pouzh9 said:
Thanks Frankie... Cattle went Black by use of Angus genetic, BECAUSE THE BUYERS, knew the black hide cattle(angus) were better preformers.The buyers Not CAB turned cattle Black ( or should I say the cattle men turn their cattle black tring to pass them of as Angus.. As for me I prefer Shorthorn, but east of the mississippi they hardly exist, and if you find them , they are high$. I start into the cattle business the 2nd time tring to buy polled Herefords, after visiting 3 breeders, my wallet was not fat enought. I bought b. angus.. I knew that I did not want the show ring, or novity items, I raise beef to eat. I grass feed my little B Angus (1200 lbs) and finish my steers 6 weeks or so on Ber. hay and a little corn. I usually kill at 24 to 30 months with hoof weight on steers of 1250 to 1400 lbs. I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I EAT, EATS. Although my wife saier no more pigs. SO I poise the question again, ARE THERE ANY LARGE BREEDERS OF LONGHORN AND, IF SO ARE YOU RAISIN BEEF OR ROPERS? OR IN OTHER WORDS IF THIS BOARD WAS CALLED BEEF TODAY WOULD THERE BE LONGHORN CATTLE HERE? I truly did not mean to Bash LH's .

Here you go alftn.....order you some longhorn beef. I've never tried it so can't vouch for it but do know they folks and they say it is excellent.

http://www.banderagrassland.com/

Red Bull Breeder":2fgax56f said:
Funny how a Longhorn thread got to black hides. More ways to skin a cat than one. more ways to market cattle than one.
the way i read the threads heading "pasture ornaments vs hamburger hooves".... it includes about all breeds

I raise beef , so that I know what I eat.. I have eat 4 kinds of cattle in as many years, grass feed and corn finished. I can not tell much difference . I do not think ordering beef/buffalo/LH from a unknow source is what I want to do..UNKNOW as I did not control the feeding , killing, or hanging of the meat... I looked at about 25 head of LHs today on good pasture( THEY SURE LOOKED WORME) would say more, but do not want to bash them...

altfn---- It's understandable that you, being used to seeing fat and lethargic cattle, would think that the Longhorns appeared to be thin. But being somewhat thin does not mean they're, as you say, worme !!! By not knowing anything about the breed and used to your 4 types of cattle, I can see your inexperienced observation !! :) :)

alftn":cuydaeqe said:
I raise beef , so that I know what I eat.. I have eat 4 kinds of cattle in as many years, grass feed and corn finished. I can not tell much difference . I do not think ordering beef/buffalo/LH from a unknow source is what I want to do..UNKNOW as I did not control the feeding , killing, or hanging of the meat... I looked at about 25 head of LHs today on good pasture( THEY SURE LOOKED WORME) would say more, but do not want to bash them...
it's their makeup ... you'dl break you bank account too fatten em.

We have LH cows and commercial composite cows and breed to blk angus bulls, and we feed out for the freezer. The crossed steers feed and fatten beautifully, and I prefer one of the cross steers over the straight 'beef' steers for my freezer. We have eaten some straight LH steers in the past and they went down just fine, too. ;-)
While we are certainly not a large breeder, I have to say the LH cows sure get by on less costly hay and feed during the winter, eat like goats when things are green, and are throwing nice calves. Since we're not big into the sale barn, doesn't matter they have some white on 'em now and then, and I frankly like it cause I can tell the dang things apart!

I had a longhorn cow. She was a very attractive cow. Brightly colored with crazy twisty horns like a J. Frank Dobie longhorn. She was a fence jumper. Finally I got tired of people stopping to tell me that she was out so I hauled her to the auction.

I only lost $78 on her.

Speckles....

255899281_5sTTU-M.jpg

I was very disappointed with her.

A friend has longhorn cross cows in South Texas. Their horns are cut for ease in working. He likes them because they are hardy and thrive on the sparse vegetation plus they will protect their calves. He hires helicopters to round them up. They are some wild and crazy cattle.

Latest posts