Pass thru in fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2ip606ap said:
ez14":2ip606ap said:
callmefence":2ip606ap said:
Yes sir. Seen em in dairies and sale barns. In a pasture though even if it was just a 18 " gap I think I would still make a gate so I could close it off.
now fence is going to have a bunch of mini gates :)

:cowboy:
:shock: your gates are smaller then i thought you must be a small man :lol:

what are they really for? dogs?

TennesseeTuxedo":3q5g4lmi said:
I can see the usefulness of a stile, the pass through not so much.

A pass thru in a barbed wire fence in the middle of a field wouldn't be that useful. Some pass thrus in your working facility is a work saver. You can pass all over the thing, in no time.

TennesseeTuxedo":328imtyb said:
Upon reading CT for several years I was convinced to add a couple of 4 ft escape gates with quick release latches in our working pens when i had them built in 2014.

I've got the same. They're great. Much easier to install when you're building them versus afterwards.

Access thru the fence is going to depend of individual preference and the function of the access point. You can't ride a horse up a stile. But stiles are perfect for many things. Nurse calves tend to bull rush you and creep out of the gates. Especially when you have 3 nurse cows and 11 calves. Etc.

You people driving a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge should really consider an International or else a Studebaker. :D

What slick posted is similar to gates you often see in Scotland - the law there is 'right to roam' and such gates are *essential* because strangers would otherwise walk to the nearest proper gate, open it and forget to close it. Often they have a pair of wooden gates that fall shut by gravity when the person has passed through.

The gap I put in is 12 inches - I measured it for y'all the other day. Yep, calves get through it, so do I without any climbing, side stepping or twisting or walking another hundred metres to an actual gate. I'm not sure if I decided beforehand to install it (I think I did) but I know when I dug the post-hole I discovered there was going to be a gap anyway because it's next to a concrete yard and I couldn't dig any closer to the concrete than that.
Walking round the farm here is a matter of rolling under the fences, such things keep a person fit. Sure do wish there were a few stiles and bridges in key places. Tall people look at high tensile electric fences and step over them, but if I can do that so can one of my cows.