Pass thru in fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14":27yk7s8x said:
backhoeboogie":27yk7s8x said:
kenny thomas":27yk7s8x said:
I sure don't need to explain anything about fencing to you but here goes. It actually is more than one post set at an angle so a person can slide in between the posts without opening a gate. For skinny people even little calves cant make the turns. For some a 500lb calf could get out.

Skinny is offensive. I am offended! :lol: :help: :help: :help:

"LEAN" Kenny Thomas!! Put that word in your vocabulary! :lol:

Now M Dash, I never considered them fancy pool ladders to be redneck. Those are first class! Store bought even.
our pool ladder wasn't store bought
:lol2: Their is lean and then their is skinney. Think about the Olympic athletes. They are lean but definitely not skinney. :nod:

slick4591":1nfutj1w said:
This is what I use.

I had several of those, before the tornado. I wish I had taken the time to build a couple of them back. They were all in my horse lots.

1982vett":2z6ulkud said:
:lol2: Their is lean and then their is skinney. Think about the Olympic athletes. They are lean but definitely not skinney. :nod:

Those athletes can step right thru that fence passage without rubbing.

I was still working out and competing in '93. All the fat dudes at work referred to me as skinny. We had Time magazines weight chart posted on the wall. Told them I was 4 pounds overweight for my height and wrist size.

Bigfoot":2pr76v49 said:
slick4591":2pr76v49 said:
This is what I use.

I had several of those, before the tornado. I wish I had taken the time to build a couple of them back. They were all in my horse lots.

Y'all help me out. To customer I would recommend a 4 foot wide gate over that every time. ( actually I'd recommend at least a 12)I could charge more money to build that. There's a lot more work there than in hanging a gate. You can't move a animal or a atv through it
Other than not being able to leave it open accident , I don't see it.
Certainly not trying to argue with Bigfoot or slick. I can see it in a dairy or salebarn. I just can't see it in a pasture situation

backhoeboogie":5edk908s said:
1982vett":5edk908s said:

I was still working out and competing in '93. All the fat dudes at work referred to me as skinny. We had Time magazines weight chart posted on the wall. Told them I was 4 pounds overweight for my height and wrist size.

And Vett, there's a reason why fat folks don't consider using stiles

callmefence":2gv1fvkx said:
Bigfoot":2gv1fvkx said:
slick4591":2gv1fvkx said:
This is what I use.

Y'all help me out. To customer I would recommend a 4 foot wide gate over that every time. ( actually I'd recommend at least a 12)I could charge more money to build that. There's a lot more work there than in hanging a gate. You can't move a animal or a atv through it
Other than not being able to leave it open accident , I don't see it.
Certainly not trying to argue with Bigfoot or slick. I can see it in a dairy or salebarn. I just can't see it in a pasture situation

I like it, because you can move around freely. Should probably put up a pic of my current set up (no walk thrus). You have to open 3 gates, to travel on foot about 48 feet.

I also wish I had one at my working pen. 2 actually. It'd be a safe place to stand, and also move freely.

backhoeboogie":1b9hj0cm said:
backhoeboogie":1b9hj0cm said:
1982vett":1b9hj0cm said:

And Vett, there's a reason why fat folks don't consider using stiles
. My thoughts on it, if you are going to go through all the work to put in a stile,may as well put in a real gate so you can drag, drive or carry something through it with you....... :2cents:

TennesseeTuxedo":3561pris said:
I'm with fence on this one. What's wrong with opening a gate to get from point A to point B?

Mine were all beside of a gate. Usually the hinge side.

In my situation there's a 16' gate about 80' to the left of this passthru and my building starts about 20' to the right. I had a few chicken breeding houses and my junk on the pasture side behind the building. I wanted quick access to my chickens and junk without having to fool with opening and closing a gate every time when my hands were full. I have had only one newborn calf get out of this passthru and I shoved a timber in it until he was about 300 and that stopped that nonsense. As you can tell from the fence I've had a few larger calves get run thru the fence by something, so I've had more go thru the fence than the passthru. It is much handier than fooling with a gate.

TennesseeTuxedo":26zi0dxu said:
I'm with fence on this one. What's wrong with opening a gate to get from point A to point B?
If you can;t see the value/usefulness of it, there is no way to convince you otherwise. We don;t use those permanent deals, we just use stiles, for us they are convenient and handy as a pocket on a shirt

dun":178mljzt said:
TennesseeTuxedo":178mljzt said:
If you can;t see the value/usefulness of it, there is no way to convince you otherwise. We don;t use those permanent deals, we just use stiles, for us they are convenient and handy as a pocket on a shirt

That's not a stile . No comparison whatever

TennesseeTuxedo":3tvo54jk said:

Usually you have two arm loads.

People hunting dove want to crawl thru the fence to retrieve a downed bird and stretch your wire.

You also have city folks wanting to take pictures in your blue bonnets each spring.

Then you have the lady who gets your neighbor's cows out of the road by mixing them in with your herd. Had to put locks on the gates that were there to stop it because his cows were hungry and getting on the road just about every day. I didn't like sorting or giving up my wheat to feed his cows.

ez14":351j4sg4 said:
callmefence":351j4sg4 said:
kenny thomas":351j4sg4 said:
I sure don't need to explain anything about fencing to you but here goes. It actually is more than one post set at an angle so a person can slide in between the posts without opening a gate. For skinny people even little calves cant make the turns. For some a 500lb calf could get out.

Yes sir. Seen em in dairies and sale barns. In a pasture though even if it was just a 18 " gap I think I would still make a gate so I could close it off.
now fence is going to have a bunch of mini gates :)

:cowboy:

dun":1xo6p3ho said:

Very good.. :clap: ..I prefer to weld em up out 1.5 much lighter to move. You can throw it in the back of the truck to move to were your working on the fence. Or as mentioned before a old swimming pool ladder works well.
But the idea between a stile and a pass through is to different things. A stile is for where you don't have a gate and don't really need one . A pass through is for the convenience of not having to open a gate. Opening a gate is certainly easier than climbing a stile.

TennesseeTuxedo":33pdoome said:
Apples and oranges dun.
Sort of. The point is to get from one side of the fence to the other. Also, being movable you can relocate them as required. When I move them I just pick them up with FEL and put them were I need them.
The problem with the pool ladders is they won;t hold up to cows scratching on them for very long.

Latest posts