Pass thru in fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
We are running some new fence lines and would like to place a pass thru in order to access the pasture without having to open a gate. I have seen some where each side of the fence terminates at a post approximatly 2 feet apart and then there is a 3rd post centered between the other 2 posts but offset approximately 1 foot to allow a person to pass but not an animal. For what it is worth, it would be in a pasture where no calves would be until they are 2-3 months old. Do any of you currently use one and what are your thoughts about them? Thanks

What we use are stiles. With our soil, the fewer posts we have to put in the ground the better. Also gives us a slightly raised seat to sit and watch whats going on, real handy for heat checking.

How about a cattleguard?

I don't have any pass throughs, but I do have a few spots with a 3 rails that make dandy steps to jump over

You'd be surprised what a 2-3 month old calf will push through.
I put one at the end of a fence line when I had to replace the post, and it's been great, really convenient. Don't know how wide it is but I don't let calves stand around next to it until they're quite a bit older, maybe 6 months. These dairy calves, so not as thick as a beef breed (though the herf crosses I had certainly ran through it if they could and they might've been four months old then).

The dairies I worked on had them in every pen. Two feet is to wide. You can put cross beams up to about knee height and cut down on most calf problems and either step over the cross beam or use it as a step.

Easiest for me was to buy a dozen cinder blocks. Stack 6 into steps on each side of the fence. Even people with short legs could get over the fence. If you needed them some other place they were easy to move and then take back. I bought a few dozen through the years. Had a few places I just left them in place. Borrowed them from other places from time to time if I was working fence or something.

A stile or steps I can understand. I've welded steps on post. I've used one of those ladders for above ground pools.
I guess I don't understand why one would set the extra post leave a gap and not put a gate in it.?

callmefence":3tz3ic2x said:
A stile or steps I can understand. I've welded steps on post. I've used one of those ladders for above ground pools.
I guess I don't understand why one would set the extra post leave a gap and not put a gate in it.?
I sure don't need to explain anything about fencing to you but here goes. It actually is more than one post set at an angle so a person can slide in between the posts without opening a gate. For skinny people even little calves cant make the turns. For some a 500lb calf could get out.

callmefence":3aou0eur said:
What I like about stiles is if the need arises I can pick it up with the loader and a chain and move it to some place else

kenny thomas":1halavba said:
callmefence":1halavba said:
I sure don't need to explain anything about fencing to you but here goes. It actually is more than one post set at an angle so a person can slide in between the posts without opening a gate. For skinny people even little calves cant make the turns. For some a 500lb calf could get out.

Yes sir. Seen em in dairies and sale barns. In a pasture though even if it was just a 18 " gap I think I would still make a gate so I could close it off.

callmefence":1loq72h5 said:
kenny thomas":1loq72h5 said:
callmefence":1loq72h5 said:

Yes sir. Seen em in dairies and sale barns. In a pasture though even if it was just a 18 " gap I think I would still make a gate so I could close it off.
Yep, probably right.

Corps of Engineers (lakes.etc.) use something like this at the public access points.
----->------

M-5":3m5ylrmx said:
Redneck tip of the day. The cheap pool ladders you see beside the road or on craigslist work good also. I have used cinder blocks as well.

I have a couple of the pool ladders in my fence builder bag of tricks.
Only thing I never considered it redneck :shock:

callmefence":3u559mdi said:
kenny thomas":3u559mdi said:
callmefence":3u559mdi said:

now fence is going to have a bunch of mini gates :)

callmefence":1p7ek70y said:
M-5":1p7ek70y said:
Redneck tip of the day. The cheap pool ladders you see beside the road or on craigslist work good also. I have used cinder blocks as well.

I have a couple of the pool ladders in my fence builder bag of tricks.
Only thing I never considered it redneck :shock:

I didn't either until I had a couple folks tell me it was.

kenny thomas":25pvbt2n said:
callmefence":25pvbt2n said:

Skinny is offensive. I am offended! :lol: :help: :help: :help:

"LEAN" Kenny Thomas!! Put that word in your vocabulary! :lol:

Now M Dash, I never considered them fancy pool ladders to be redneck. Those are first class! Store bought even.

backhoeboogie":1okdbydt said:
kenny thomas":1okdbydt said:
callmefence":1okdbydt said:

Skinny is offensive. I am offended! :lol: :help: :help: :help:

"LEAN" Kenny Thomas!! Put that word in your vocabulary! :lol:

Now M Dash, I never considered them fancy pool ladders to be redneck. Those are first class! Store bought even.
our pool ladder wasn't store bought

ez14":1igtjorb said:
now fence is going to have a bunch of mini gates :)
That's why I like stiles. They aren;t permanent and don;t need posts. I make them out of treated 2X6s and so far they;ve last 16 years.

I much prefer the term "lean" to "skinny." I hate when I'm told i need to eat something. People thinking I starve myself. This skinny is stronger than one would expect. I am sure all agree. Lean by hard work is different than lazy skinny.

I say to them, you talk about wanting to lose some weight…come hang out with me a couple of days a week. We will work you right into shape!

Hell, I eat 3-5 meals a day. Cannot seem to get back up to the 160 mark I was at years back. I weighed 180 when i graduated high school. Hard work and a good diet keeps a man lean.