P I calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty":2ms0xhzj said:
Persistantly(SP) Infected.

...with the BVD virus. They become infected during gestation (40-120 days) and accept the virus as "self" -- and so they'll never get rid of it.

Howdy,
I would suggest that if you have a PI issue, you should contact your vet, do ear notches, don't let any animal on or off the farm. Get the ear notch results back and seperate herd, sell off PI animals, make a large note at sale ring that animals are slaughter only.
A PI animal will only bring trouble to your operation.

milkmaid":mg7bxys1 said:
Scotty":mg7bxys1 said:

...with the BVD virus. They become infected during gestation (40-120 days) and accept the virus as "self" -- and so they'll never get rid of it.

I recomend Bovi-Shield Gold 5 FP 5L. I think that is the right order of numbers. FP for fetal protection.

I precondition stockyard cattle- so I am sure that I do have PI calves come and go thru here.

I just went to a seminar on PI calves-- it was real interesting.
Right now we can't justify identifying individuals-- our contractors don't want to pay for it- and the people we sell loads to haven't wanted to pay for it.
But I think someday soon it will be part of our business.

We do take care to not spread it around at processing.

Scotty":1fuh5hvn said:
milkmaid":1fuh5hvn said:
Scotty":1fuh5hvn said:

I recomend Bovi-Shield Gold 5 FP 5L. I think that is the right order of numbers. FP for fetal protection.

If your cows arent infected with BVD it might be a good idea to vaccinate them with a modified live 30-60 days before breeding and that should prevent PI Calves, If the cows have are infected there is nothing you can do to prevent PI calves

I background stock cattle and have been concerned about one coming in with a pinkeye infection and wondered if it was more likely that a pi would have pinkeye.I don't test for pi either some people I buy from do test though.

Karl":syw3ndvl said:
Scotty":syw3ndvl said:
milkmaid":syw3ndvl said:
Scotty":syw3ndvl said:

If your cows arent infected with BVD it might be a good idea to vaccinate them with a modified live 30-60 days before breeding and that should prevent PI Calves, If the cows have are infected there is nothing you can do to prevent PI calves

I may be wrong here, but I think a calf can be a PI calf whether the dam has been vaccinated or not?

The FP gives a narrow amount of Fetal protection and depends on type I or II?

I don't think you can identify PI calves from the way they look or the way they respond to challanges.

Some PI calves are the healthiest ones in the group- and alot of calves get pinkeye or sick without being a PI calf.

Latest posts