Our future HIPPO in the making....

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
This video is for all you hardcore grass guys, I got this little one started soon on that program. LOL!

Here is a Byergo Titus 6340 daughter at 16 days old. She is a tank already. For you Byergo haters, get on the train with Titus, or miss the train, this bull makes some super nice calves.

[image]252[/image]

Her momma was a little over 1900 pounds after calving, I expect this calf to follow in her footsteps.

here is the calf video

http://bit.ly/2WAhViB

I have learned not to just go on phenotype. :shock: Until there is genetic testing, necessary hoopla and a lot of discussion, EPDs, more discussion, pictures showing daily differences, I just don't know.

Of early calves: do any think that day old pictures or prior to weaning can tell you the future value of the calf? I have semen in the tank from a bull purchased like that years ago. The attraction was two fold for the buyer: dam, including her record and other calves and results plus the calf's individual to near weaning.

Sort of like heifers, I'll get interested in them when they are 4 or 5 years old and have had 3 or 4 calves! Results oriented, I guess?

Ebenezer said:
I have learned not to just go on phenotype. :shock: Until there is genetic testing, necessary hoopla and a lot of discussion, EPDs, more discussion, pictures showing daily differences, I just don't know.

Of early calves: do any think that day old pictures or prior to weaning can tell you the future value of the calf? I have semen in the tank from a bull purchased like that years ago. The attraction was two fold for the buyer: dam, including her record and other calves and results plus the calf's individual to near weaning.

Sort of like heifers, I'll get interested in them when they are 4 or 5 years old and have had 3 or 4 calves! Results oriented, I guess?

Fair enough, I will post as time goes on how she develops.

I realize that things can change. I feel good about this gal however.

Ebenezer said:

That is why we wait till weaning to even register a calf. I have the info in the calving book (which allows me to still register at the $7 rate)... If it is junk, why am I spending money on it for certs and registrations? We cull purebred stock if it doesn't meet our expectations.

NEFarmwife said:
Ebenezer said:

That is why we wait till weaning to even register a calf. I have the info in the calving book (which allows me to still register at the $7 rate)... If it is junk, why am I spending money on it for certs and registrations? We cull purebred stock if it doesn't meet our expectations.

The American Simmental Association has a program called THE. Total Herd Enrollment. You have 2 opportunities per year to join. I fall calve, so I enter all my fall calvers in June. You pay a one time fee at the time of enrollment. When the calves are born, you update your herd enrollment by entering the birth date, weight, sex, etc. So all my calves are registered at birth. The savings is considerable compared to the registration fee charged on an individual basis.

That's a nice looking calf. Like Ebeneezer I'd be interested to see what it looks like a few months after being weaned if it were just on grass and no creep or grain. Typically for grass-fed you want shorter, wide, moderate frame with big gut capacity. The large framed cattle just take too much input for a grass-based only operation.

JMER1533 said:
That's a nice looking calf. Like Ebeneezer I'd be interested to see what it looks like a few months after being weaned if it were just on grass and no creep or grain. Typically for grass-fed you want shorter, wide, moderate frame with big gut capacity. The large framed cattle just take too much input for a grass-based only operation.

She will never see a creep feeder.

I find there are some calves you can tell right away are exceptional, others only start to fill in and look good after a few years.. Some just have the poise and stance naturally.
I have one heifer this year that I could tell nearly right away was going to be a looker.. Spitting image of her mother at that age and she's turned out to be a great cow.. I'll tell you more about her in a few years

************* said:
JMER1533 said:

Thought you put everything on full feed to bring out what you called "genetic potential". :???:

TexasBred said:
************* said:
JMER1533 said:

Thought you put everything on full feed to bring out what you called "genetic potential". :???:

The mommas are well fed, but I don't let the babes have anything until weaning. They pick around a little bit when the mommas are eating at the bunk, but they rarely get much, the mommas vacuum it up in minutes.

It's like looking at any new baby..some are born ugly..and wind up being attractive..and vice versa...she's nice,,but like to see her in about 3 months..right now,you know more about her than we do ..and what you have there..

I told her not to eat that feed but she just wouldn't stop. Not my fault she ate some of the cows feed, I told her no creep feeding, and that's final!

:lol:

76 Bar said:
She's tattooed. They all are.
I presume at birth when you're weighing. Logical to tag as well. Is there a reason you don't tag newborns?
I have found the mamas can actually locate their calf without the tags. I had a bull tear his out on day 2, no more taggin for me unless I find it necessary.

76 Bar said:
She's tattooed. They all are.
I presume at birth when you're weighing. Logical to tag as well. Is there a reason you don't tag newborns?

I always did it, but I had a really nice Raindance calf last year that was tagged, as we always had done before, cleaned everything with alcohol, tagged her, then a week or so later her ear was infected and drooping. I took it out, cleaned her up, it healed back, but the ear is not quite shaped up right.

Now I tag them when they get a little bit older. When they are born, I give them Multimin, weigh, tattoo, take a blood sample, and put iodine on the navel. At about a month, I bring in momma and baby, give Momma Multimin,and Eprinex, at which time I can quickly identify the calf, verify the tattoo and put in a tag. The ears are more developed by then and I rarely ever have a torn ear, or infection.

It's time consuming, but jacked up, torn ears drive me nuts.

I freeze brand them at weaning.

Latest posts