Our project

Help Support CattleToday:

Reminds me of one of my favorite cows. I got a registered limousin heifer from O'Brian farms with a breeding guarantee, and she wouldn't settle. They replaced her with a better animal that was already bred, and that heifer slipped her calf right away. So they had me bring that heifer back and presented me with a choice... a heifer just ready to deliver or an older cow with a very pretty bramousin heifer calf at her side. That bramousin heifer grew up to be the prettiest animal I ever had. She also delivered a bull calf that dressed out higher than any other animal I've ever butchered.
Gotta say that O'Brians are fantastic at what they do. NW Arkansas is full of good cattle and they are at the top of the list.

@ClinchValley86
We used several yellow & white Simmental sires (carrying the color dilution gene) back in the late 1980s... and over the years had quite a few charcoal/chocolate/gray/silver (and yellow) cows... and that color dilution gene 'hung in there'... still had a lot of brown cows when we dispersed in 2019 - and like you, some of them were the best cows in the herd. Next door neighbor still has two brown cows in his herd, 2nd or 3rd generation descendents from one visit from our last diluted red SimAngus bull... back around 2003.
Those gray/brown calves almost always got discounted going through the salebarn... maddening, because they were usually 7/8 (or higher) sibs of the black calves, and were just as good.
Color may not be an issue in your locale, but here... I wouldn't use a dilution-gene carrier except as an extreme last resort.

Beefmaster is a very under-rated breed IMO. If you breed them the back to BA, RA, maybe even Hereford you can get some heavy, stout calves. Those females will be tough and raise a heck of a calf.

They haul those Lasater BM back and forth from Colorado to South Texas and they thrive in both areas.

@ClinchValley86
We used several yellow & white Simmental sires (carrying the color dilution gene) back in the late 1980s... and over the years had quite a few charcoal/chocolate/gray/silver (and yellow) cows... and that color dilution gene 'hung in there'... still had a lot of brown cows when we dispersed in 2019 - and like you, some of them were the best cows in the herd. Next door neighbor still has two brown cows in his herd, 2nd or 3rd generation descendents from one visit from our last diluted red SimAngus bull... back around 2003.
Those gray/brown calves almost always got discounted going through the salebarn... maddening, because they were usually 7/8 (or higher) sibs of the black calves, and were just as good.
Color may not be an issue in your locale, but here... I wouldn't use a dilution-gene carrier except as an extreme last resort.
Appreciate the information.

We have stopped participating in sale barns unless an animal is no good. In which case it isn't a bell ringer anyways.

Looking for animals that do well on grass and these chocolates, all of them, seem to excell compared to the others I have.

One of the dilluted Mommas had a black son that's also built well. The sire was double black. I've got it narrowed down to the two of them. Their dams are sisters. I have wanted to raise a bull since we got into the cattle thing.

Thinking hard on cutting all the Mommas loose this year if prices jump like I'm hoping. At a fork in the road for sure.

I wonder if the cows we have that do that were or are from the same gene pool…….. My wife says that's why we eat them!
Speaking of "pools" (wink)... I had a black angus with a calf head out, inside the birth sack and no hooves, on a cold and rainy day... and the bi**h walked into the pond and laid DOWN in the frigid water as I was herding her to the barn to try to save her calf.

They both lived but damn, that was heart wrenching seeing the calf's head inside a sloshing bag sticking out of the cow and going down into the cold pond.

Latest posts