And you just thought our homegrown bulls were ugly

Help Support CattleToday:

The neighbor has 200 Waygu cows. I assume most if not all are registered. He ships both bulls and heifers all over the western USA. He does AI and ET the whole 9 yards. I don't care how much you dehorn and worm. They still look ugly. Mature cows, mature bulls, yearlings, 2 year olds, what ever age..... they all look ugly. You do want to find a market and have them contracted ahead of time. Taking to the sale yard you will absolutely get killed. The neighbor uses them to breed his heifers. He claims to do well on his F1 calves. But he has the contacts so he has an outlet for them at a premium. I know about a month or so ago he hauled a pot load of Fi's to a feedlot in southern California.
Yup. I knew a local breeder that should had planned ahead of him, instead of toss a wagyu bull out in his commercial herd and wondering why he gets less money for his wagyu X calves at the local sale barn. Wagyu isn't something that you can make a profit at your average sale barn..

Using a Wagyu bull on heifers has worked very well for calving for us.

As someone mentioned earlier -- do you have a market?

Here's his first calf crossed with my belties, heifer, fed to 19 months. Mostly grass with some grain daily since before weaning. Butchered yesterday. Hanging weight of 557. I will be butchering two of his steers in September at 24 months. They are quite a bit larger than this heifer and hope to be around 800-900 hanging.
47C083FE-84FE-4C80-9FB9-C1203D40A67E.jpeg

My guess is that he has been eating pretty good.
All grass from July through November when he's at my friends place, then mostly grass with a couple pounds of feed daily at my place the rest of the year. His size comes from his genetics. He's from a line with good growth.

We are getting 3..lol... Our daughter is going to get them DNA tested.. From what i gather, the reds are bigger but not the prized ones, you want the black/browns. Who the heck knows where this will go for us. Maybe nowhere, maybe somewhere. We have a lot of heifers to breed this year, so, only time will tell. NonTypicalCPA, which was yours, red or black wagyu?

We are getting 3..lol... Our daughter is going to get them DNA tested.. From what i gather, the reds are bigger but not the prized ones, you want the black/browns. Who the heck knows where this will go for us. Maybe nowhere, maybe somewhere. We have a lot of heifers to breed this year, so, only time will tell. NonTypicalCPA, which was yours, red or black wagyu?
He has a pic of the bull on page 1. It looks black to me! :)

So you've dehorned? I do want the horns off ours. We picked them up yesterday. What line is your bulls out of?

We're getting a lot of interest in these bulls, so we want them strong and healthy. A vet visit is in the plans this week for the works and DNA test started.. They've gained about 50 pounds just the short time they've been in our corrals on hay. They guy who had them just did not feed them. He had hay out, but i think they got hay whenever he came out to his property. What is crazy is, he has 5 cows, 5 yearlings off these cows. I'm surprised the wind isnt knocking the cows over, they are so thin... But, somehow, the neighbors bull got in and even in their condition, they bred back. It was my understanding they were bred heifers when he got them and the bulls are their first calves. If this is the case, they sure have good fertility.

We're getting a lot of interest in these bulls, so we want them strong and healthy. A vet visit is in the plans this week for the works and DNA test started.. They've gained about 50 pounds just the short time they've been in our corrals on hay. They guy who had them just did not feed them. He had hay out, but i think they got hay whenever he came out to his property. What is crazy is, he has 5 cows, 5 yearlings off these cows. I'm surprised the wind isnt knocking the cows over, they are so thin... But, somehow, the neighbors bull got in and even in their condition, they bred back. It was my understanding they were bred heifers when he got them and the bulls are their first calves. If this is the case, they sure have good fertility.
No offense but from your description of the breeder's operation I don't think I'd have purchased bulls from them..

No offense but from your description of the breeder's operation I don't think I'd have purchased bulls from them..
You would have at the price we got them at. Daughter is going to join the association and get DNA test done. Apparently if they test something like 50% and up, you get papers on them. So even though we didnt buy papered waygu, we can get them papered. Technically, we got them for heifer bulls. But......... if they turn out to be mostly waygu, there you go... He's a weekender and wanted cows on his place. Somehow he got these, maybe the guy owed him money...