Our project

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Over the years, I have used AI and bought registered bulls mostly AI and a couple ET.
We started using our own and the main focus was a AI sired registered Angus by PA Power Tool and a daughter of HA Image Maker. He injured himself going over a fence and so now two of his sons by commercial cows are the next in line.
This white faced bull is coming 4 years old, 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford. Easily the best disposition, easiest to work with bull of any breed I've dealt with in my 30 years of working with cattle.
The black bull is coming 3 years, he isn't bad to work with but have to be more cautious and prepared around him. So far calves from both bulls have been easy to work with. Some times working calves can be a fiasco.
Here are some weaned spring heifers by both bulls.
Then the bulls. 838C5A31-7FA7-4AC2-846E-251FD6DB0108.jpegAA23C5EC-EA06-48AB-9BB8-E04AB4DB13E0.jpeg87BF6C5C-DD25-4DCF-9BD3-499EFA7A6E36.jpegC010275C-1BB4-4DE9-847C-C39393E76022.jpegEE3B2094-FD28-469D-ADA3-DC86D5EF41CF.jpeg7C5C730D-DD4C-448B-B2BF-7EB0FF55560E.jpeg

The solid black bull is mainly used as a heifer bull, he is very moderate framef and consistently sires small calves. His calves will probably mature smaller too.
The BWF bull also sires small calves, but they finish out adequate size. He has been used thus far mainly on cows, but will probably be used on heifers this spring. Then alternate between him and the Simmental cross bull for cows, and will likely sell the solid black bull.

@Ky hills --- The baldie is a dang tank! I'd love to have one like him.

Your black bull is sharp too.

I like your style.

If we keep breeding stock this year, I'm on the fence about it, I'd like to raise a bull that was born here. Got a chocolate SimAngus bull calf that sure has the look. From my best cow line. Does the Simmental chocolate color gene raise eyebrows for anyone? My best animals have that gene.

Over the years, I have used AI and bought registered bulls mostly AI and a couple ET.
We started using our own and the main focus was a AI sired registered Angus by PA Power Tool and a daughter of HA Image Maker. He injured himself going over a fence and so now two of his sons by commercial cows are the next in line.
This white faced bull is coming 4 years old, 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford. Easily the best disposition, easiest to work with bull of any breed I've dealt with in my 30 years of working with cattle.
The black bull is coming 3 years, he isn't bad to work with but have to be more cautious and prepared around him. So far calves from both bulls have been easy to work with. Some times working calves can be a fiasco.
Then the bulls. View attachment 23415View attachment 23416View attachment 23417View attachment 23418View attachment 23421View attachment 23424
We are trying something similar in our herd and so far it has worked for us. We have a baldie that is similar in type and also 3/4 Angus/ 1/4 Hereford. He is a son of Stock Fund and out of a cow by our son of East Money(Hereford) and her mother was a reg War Party daughter. He is a tank also. Not as framey as our buyers like but he will be used here. We are also retaining 1-2 more Stock Fund sons, 2 sired by an older Platinum son we bought and used one year and 1 sired by a grandson of Hoover Dam. We have cows in 7-8 pastures. Some only 7-12 per pasture so can't justify a 5-7 thousand dollar bull for low numbers. We also have a Growth Fund son we bought last wi yet that was 2nd high indexing bull in a test we have hopes for. Also using 1 Hereford bull and 3?more Angus bulls. One a Hoover Dam grandson. The Hoover Dam influence works well for us. Growthy calves and females make top cows. Ours have more frame than some prefer. I like your black bull also. Using bulls we raise has worked well for us. Some of our top calves this year were sired by home raised bulls.

We are trying something similar in our herd and so far it has worked for us. We have a baldie that is similar in type and also 3/4 Angus/ 1/4 Hereford. He is a son of Stock Fund and out of a cow by our son of East Money(Hereford) and her mother was a reg War Party daughter. He is a tank also. Not as framey as our buyers like but he will be used here. We are also retaining 1-2 more Stock Fund sons, 2 sired by an older Platinum son we bought and used one year and 1 sired by a grandson of Hoover Dam. We have cows in 7-8 pastures. Some only 7-12 per pasture so can't justify a 5-7 thousand dollar bull for low numbers. We also have a Growth Fund son we bought last wi yet that was 2nd high indexing bull in a test we have hopes for. Also using 1 Hereford bull and 3?more Angus bulls. One a Hoover Dam grandson. The Hoover Dam influence works well for us. Growthy calves and females make top cows. Ours have more frame than some prefer. I like your black bull also. Using bulls we raise has worked well for us. Some of our top calves this year were sired by home raised bulls.
I used Hoover Dam quite a bit when we were doing AI, but at that time I was selling bred heifers and had a few registered Angus cows, I never kept but 2 daughters. Still have one that's 10 years old. I used a home raised sin of Hoover Dam one year as one of my heifer bulls. He was out of the same cow that I retained the Power Tool son from.
I liked the Hoover Dams about as well as any Angus I've used and better than most.
I started raising my own bulls, during my bred heifer project days, cause it was costing $2500-4200 per bull and sometimes I was using 3-4 yearling bulls, and having to replace them frequently as most just didn't work out much over a season.
It's been rare for us to be able to have a bull over 3 yrs.

Then the bulls. View attachment 23415View attachment 23416View attachment 23417View attachment 23418View attachment 23421View attachment 23424

Very good looking set of heifers. I would take them all day long and twice on Sundays! Looks like those 2 bulls are doing a good job for you. You gonna breed them to the Herf/Simm bull? I believe I would have to if they were mine ..I'd be so curious to see how it works that I would have to try. Or, if you were leery of using him on heifers til after you had tried him on cows to see how big bodied and/or big headed his calves are I would use a CE Brangus on them the first time. Then again, you don't need my or anyone else's opinion, KY. You have a vision...a goal... and have done a good job of working to make that happen.

Very good looking set of heifers. I would take them all day long and twice on Sundays! Looks like those 2 bulls are doing a good job for you. You gonna breed them to the Herf/Simm bull? I believe I would have to if they were mine ..I'd be so curious to see how it works that I would have to try. Or, if you were leery of using him on heifers til after you had tried him on cows to see how big bodied and/or big headed his calves are I would use a CE Brangus on them the first time. Then again, you don't need my or anyone else's opinion, KY. You have a vision...a goal... and have done a good job of working to make that happen.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Honestly, my wife want to use him as a heifer bull, especially if we sell the black bull, but I'm on the fence about using him on heifers. Although, he couldn't be a worse calver than a registered Hereford bull we bought a few years ago that was supposed to be a calving ease bull.
I would definitely be more comfortable with one of the others. and let the Sim bull run with cows

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Honestly, my wife want to use him as a heifer bull, especially if we sell the black bull, but I'm on the fence about using him on heifers. Although, he couldn't be a worse calver than a registered Hereford bull we bought a few years ago that was supposed to be a calving ease bull.
I would definitely be more comfortable with one of the others. and let the Sim bull run with cows
Use him this year on some of those heifers mommas, and see what the calves are like. If they appear small enough, then use him on those heifers and the ones you have next year. Out of the three, which one do you like as far as disposition?

Use him this year on some of those heifers mommas, and see what the calves are like. If they appear small enough, then use him on those heifers and the ones you have next year. Out of the three, which one do you like as far as disposition?
Disposition wise, there's not much difference between the big BWF and the SimHereford, they are both calm and laid back. The solid black bull is generally decent, but he can be flighty, and occasionally has a temper and wants to challenge me.

View attachment 23421
That's an impressive bull. As impressive as any I've seen on this forum so far. And your opinion on his docility makes him even more impressive.

That's an impressive bull. As impressive as any I've seen on this forum so far. And your opinion on his docility makes him even more impressive.
Thanks. That bull truly does have an amazing disposition. He's not a pet, but doesn't have much of a flight zone either. I can get within arms length of him before he slowly walks on. We take the bulls to a small farm across the road when we take them out of the breeding pasture, he leads them and they go into the barn and literally load themselves both coming and going just open the trailer door and get them turned toward it , When separating from cows he's easy to hold back.

He is one thick dude. Hard to tell from a picture what he weighs.
Back in the spring while he was in the chute I tried to get hip height with stick.
Not exact but I figure he's somewhere around 5.5 frame give or take a hair.
I'm going to guess him conservatively somewhere between 1950 and 2050.

Latest posts