Opinions on these prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

wow.. can't believe how low these prices are..

500 - 600 for breds..

.30 - 40 cents for kill

Hard to sell cows at the current prices, but they may still need to go. :nod: Some may not winter well and others may not be able to raise a good calf next year... I have burgered one cow this fall and have two others with a date at the locker plant. I also have a bunch on the bubble with no guarantee that they will be worth more next year.

We are lucky and have had decent hay crops here the last couple years, so some are holding cows till February. Talking heads say the total meat supply - - both red and white - - is still increasing... :( Is there any reason to think the cow slaughter will drop back to average and cull cow prices will rebound in early 2019?

Stocker Steve":249ncbq5 said:
Hard to sell cows at the current prices, but they may still need to go. :nod: Some may not winter well and others may not be able to raise a good calf next year... I have burgered one cow this fall and have two others with a date at the locker plant. I also have a bunch on the bubble with no guarantee that they will be worth more next year.

We are lucky and have had decent hay crops here the last couple years, so some are holding cows till February. Talking heads say the total meat supply - - both red and white - - is still increasing... :( Is there any reason to think the cow slaughter will drop back to average and cull cow prices will rebound in early 2019?
I think many of us are hoping things turn around in a few months. I know I'm holding on to 2 older cows right now because I won't sell them that cheap. I'm hoping for an easy winter -- the prognosticators say it will be warmer than normal and dryer than normal this winter here -- and the hay will last and these girls maintain their body condition. Let's hope the traditional uptick in butcher cow prices happens in the spring when the demand for ground beef increases as we enter BBQ season.

Hay values here has held up better than grain values the last several years. I think in part because many cow/calf producers are heavily stocked - - even though lower stocking rates may make cents currently.