opinions on State programs

Help Support CattleToday:

mwj":5wwl5q83 said:
So does it boil down to jealousy? They are successful and have more than one farm, so they shouldn't get any! This is not what I thought would be coming from this group. These things have one thing in common, they are LEGAL. Do all of you pay taxes without using any exemptions?

MWJ, I don't know much about these programs as I have never applied for any of them. Was going to do a pond once but most around here that have done ponds through the assistance program were not happy when they were finished.

When I think in terms of assistance I think of farmers that need aid or help. A safety net of sorts. There are people receiving thousands in tax dollars that don't need help. Some don't even own a farm.

http://www.ewg.org/agmag/2013/10/farmin ... -subsidies

Those understanding and defending a program does not mean they defend the individuals that legally manipulate the system. Freeloaders and slackers were not invented when the farm programs came about. I can see how a lawyer might sit and study how to qualify for subsidies.
70% of the farms in our state have never received any subsidies.
10% collected 81% of the subsidies.
I wonder how many tried and did not qualify? I wonder how many have never called their local FSA to see what is out there for their farm?
All of the programs I have read about are cost share. They are not free.
I found out last year that I could rent a no-till seed drill from FSA for $8 per acre. None of the local stores rent out seed drills anymore. I imagine the $8 probably pays for the cost of the drill and repairs over the time it is active.

I still find it odd that people will take every tax deduction that they are entitled to but complain when others do the same. If people are concerned about how much money those farmers make, would you be happy to pay only the ''poor'' farmers that could never make enough money to buy property? If I drive a 4x4 pickup should I be mad because the gov. is spending money on roads?

mwj":1erkf8fs said:
I still find it odd that people will take every tax deduction that they are entitled to but complain when others do the same. If people are concerned about how much money those farmers make, would you be happy to pay only the ''poor'' farmers that could never make enough money to buy property? If I drive a 4x4 pickup should I be mad because the gov. is spending money on roads?
I will admit I have used the programs. As you say people and businesses take tax deductions all the time. Millions in tax breaks are given to large corporations. And as someone else said cost share programs require that person to front the money. I got some disaster FSA Assistance last year, got 50% of what was lost while it helped I sure would have rather have what I lost instead. Just sat here a few minutes ago and added up what I gave the state and federal governments in taxes last year(plus what I owe) and after getting taxes done yesterday, I feel like I pulled my weight.

Tim/South":2fypofkc said:
Those understanding and defending a program does not mean they defend the individuals that legally manipulate the system. Freeloaders and slackers were not invented when the farm programs came about. I can see how a lawyer might sit and study how to qualify for subsidies.
70% of the farms in our state have never received any subsidies.
10% collected 81% of the subsidies.
I wonder how many tried and did not qualify? I wonder how many have never called their local FSA to see what is out there for their farm?
All of the programs I have read about are cost share. They are not free.
I found out last year that I could rent a no-till seed drill from FSA for $8 per acre. None of the local stores rent out seed drills anymore. I imagine the $8 probably pays for the cost of the drill and repairs over the time it is active.

Freeloaders and slackers were here waiting for opportunity long before farm programs.

We lease ground to a guy that uses the farm subsidy program. My son in law and his family use the farm subsidy program. I know many others that use the subsidy program that are very much committed to the farming industry, most of which, are very much involved in agri-education, agri-tourism, local, state and federal groups all for the purpose of promoting farming and farm life. I am very familiar with those that legitimately use and defend the programs. I'm not so sure that some of these individuals don't give back more than they take.

Sometimes I think the USDA does little to inhibit freeloaders and slackers so they don't lose funding.

mwj":2bjvzj5g said:
This ain't a tax return you're filling out !!!!

I see the programs as a tax return. I may be incorrectly under the idea that we all pay taxes.

True the programs are not available to the general public but they are farm programs. All farmers can sign up for the programs.

All this above is why these programs shouldn't exist. Its impossible to run them with any efficiency. Take they govt assistance away and let the chips fall where they will.

For what I pay in taxes.. I could pay more for food and would not have a problem with it. At least we would know where it was going and there would be competition to produce a good product at a fair cost.

I see the programs as a tax return. I may be incorrectly under the idea that we all pay taxes.

Not me. I have been hit with serious capital gains taxes a time or two. Paid well over $12,000 a year for my kid's college then found out I don't qualify to even write that off.

Here's the difference: you pay thousands and thousands in taxes, then find out you don't get a return. They want you to pay more. The money you pay goes to such programs.

I don't mind feeding hungry kids. I used to be one myself. If they need more to feed American children, they can take it out of my paycheck.

We're feeding able bodied adults. And we are paying for all these FREE programs.

My cows are not a "write off". I pay for their profits too.

Seems like all I ever do is pay. In the end, it's not enough. They say I owe even more.

I pay $900 a month for my grandchildren's daycare too. Can't write it off. Their deadbeat father is in prison.

Many people get government paid daycare. I can't even Write off what I pay.

backhoeboogie":3l6143if said:

Not me. I have been hit with serious capital gains taxes a time or two. Paid well over $12,000 a year for my kid's college then found out I don't qualify to even write that off.

Here's the difference: you pay thousands and thousands in taxes, then find out you don't get a return. They want you to pay more. The money you pay goes to such programs.

I don't mind feeding hungry kids. I used to be one myself. If they need more to feed American children, they can take it out of my paycheck.

We're feeding able bodied adults. And we are paying for all these FREE programs.

My cows are not a "write off". I pay for their profits too.

Seems like all I ever do is pay. In the end, it's not enough. They say I owe even more.

you need a new accountant , everything you've mentioned is deductible

If you, your wife, and your cows GROSS $100,000 - you cannot write off your child's college tuition. I don't care what accountant you use. That's Gross.

Check it out.

backhoeboogie":1xcgn9t0 said:
If you, your wife, and your cows GROSS $100,000 - you cannot write off your child's college tuition. I don't care what accountant you use. That's Gross.

Check it out.

160,000 gross joint

This is the first year I have not had any college tuition to claim. Either you pay a portion to g o v or pay it to tuition. The money is still gone. At least I felt like.I got something out of it when they were going to school. They raised the amount of medical bill deductions this year too. I thought the middle class was supposed to have more money when bho was elected. I've never been hit as hard as I was this year and made a little less than last year.

Heard on a Texas Farm Bureau radio interview a couple days ago that 60-80% of crop insurance is subsidized by the FED Govt. Sorry, but crop insurance is the original tax payer bail out... its the original Obama Care. Whether its good or bad... you still have to call it what it is.

http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... -subsidies

Kentucky's CAIP is not funded by tax dollars, actually the government takes part of the money that should go to farmers. CAIP money came from tobacco companies and was meant to help offset the loss of tobacco income. There are other programs like EQUIP for one that I think are funded by government money.

In GA the tobacco settlement money goes to medicaid and the uninsured, which is more than 75%.
2-3% goes for tobacco education, and most of what's left goes into a state slush fund. The farmers got screwed here in GA.

As I understand it, part of the tobacco settlement was for the states and part was for tobacco farmers paid out over ten years. I hardly think the farmers are getting screwed. I know one that has been putting in a new center pivot and/or buying a gigantic new piece of John Deere machinery every year since the settlement to offset his buyout income. I guess that gig is up now that the ten years are over.

Latest posts