opinions on State programs

Help Support CattleToday:

Hypothetically let's say I have a bigger tax bill this year and the amount I paid in would be a good portion of what the program cost shares . Technically it's my money I gave to the government to hold for me and then pay it back in a new piece of equipment.

Not saying I'm gonna do it cause I'm struggling with taking anything from the government. But after I got shafted tonight on this year's taxes I'm kinda reconsidering.

I don't see a problem with the government programs for the working folks. I'm against the government being able to come on our property to check on the assets. I've been trying to talk myself into it for a while now. But sure as heck something will go wrong, and then the problems start.

M5farm":1y99pj95 said:
Hypothetically let's say I have a bigger tax bill this year and the amount I paid in would be a good portion of what the program cost shares . Technically it's my money I gave to the government to hold for me and then pay it back in a new piece of equipment.

Not saying I'm gonna do it cause I'm struggling with taking anything from the government. But after I got shafted tonight on this year's taxes I'm kinda reconsidering.
Again I say this to anyone considering it. "I know some of you dont like these programs but we as farmers can use it or they can add it to the Food Stamp cards of the deadbeats. I think any farmer deserves it."

Sure it's welfare. But it's for a good cause of being a better caretaker of the land. So if you want to be that intimate with gubmint in your business to get your piece of pie, go right ahead. Politicians are masters at selling us on spending other people's money, making it look like a great idea. I remember when the tobacco settlement came out to offset the cost of health care for all them smokers, Kentucky put some of theirs in a program to subsidize beef bulls.

Welp, that leaves me out. I already got ponds all over the place, and enough flat land that water doesn't want to run off anyway.
Years ago, my father did sign up for a brush abatement program here--didn't pay much--maybe $40/acre but that was back in the 60s and $40 went a lot further than it does today. He was gonna pay to clear the brush off anyway so may as well get a little bit of it back.

(sure wish the state would kick in a Chinese tallow tree eradication program--my state senator says he can't get enough support in the rest of the legislature because it's just an E Texas problem--I think there may be one for mesquite but I don't have a single one.)

The local groups are generally better to work with. You install the BMP and they pony up the money. End of story. The Feds not so much. They will want your heart and soul.

Isn't it ironic how its always a waste of taxpayers money when it is going to someone else and their wants but its a good use of tax money when its coming to you?

There is a program in this state the republicans set up up some years ago that was a well intentioned program and really helped landowners with useful and practical improvements. Since its inception the feds have defunded the program and the state now only receives $5 million a year and there are only two employees administering the program yet there is not a dime of money left to fund any of the things the program was set up to do. Go figure.

M5, I couldn't blame you if you take the money for a new drill but you do realize you lose your privilege to b!tch about the govmint if you accept it. The lure of this is strong. Almost as strong as the lure of railroad tracks. Its like whenever I get good and drunk I'm just drawn to the tracks to take a nap. Resistance is hard but thus far I've been able to resist. Some I know have not. And I miss them but I can't blame them. Sometimes resistance is futile when the thought of your head laying on that cold steel is just so so enticing.

I have only accepted a payment one time years ago after a drought and it was less than a 1000 bucks. I was young and dumb. I abhor the government and feel that they have a lot of farmers depending on the subsides. I merely wanted to know what opinions on the state programs and how these are funded.

Jogeephus":1s1m3gt6 said:
Isn't it ironic how its always a waste of taxpayers money when it is going to someone else and their wants but its a good use of tax money when its coming to you?

There is a program in this state the republicans set up up some years ago that was a well intentioned program and really helped landowners with useful and practical improvements. Since its inception the feds have defunded the program and the state now only receives $5 million a year and there are only two employees administering the program yet there is not a dime of money left to fund any of the things the program was set up to do. Go figure.

M5, I couldn't blame you if you take the money for a new drill but you do realize you lose your privilege to b!tch about the govmint if you accept it. The lure of this is strong. Almost as strong as the lure of railroad tracks. Its like whenever I get good and drunk I'm just drawn to the tracks to take a nap. Resistance is hard but thus far I've been able to resist. Some I know have not. And I miss them but I can't blame them. Sometimes resistance is futile when the thought of your head laying on that cold steel is just so so enticing.

I agree. You can't take drug money then walking around griping about people on drugs. Its like your mother said... just because every one else is doing it, doesn't make it right.

Why would a person think this is more unacceptable than a tax break? Did we not take the credits allowed for our minor children? When we mount our ''high horse'' where do we draw the line? :hide:

mwj":2cb6zke9 said:
Why would a person think this is more unacceptable than a tax break? Did we not take the credits allowed for our minor children? When we mount our ''high horse'' where do we draw the line? :hide:

Tax break means WE (I) never gave the govt money. The money stayed in OUR pockets for US to decide what to do with it.

This program is redistribution. You give the govt money...THEY DECIDED IF YOU QUALIFY... THEN THEY SEND YOU A LIST FOR WHAT THEY THINK IS ACCEPTABLE FOR YOU TO BUY...

Pretty big difference there.. :tiphat:

M5farm":y2pu8kbb said:
I have only accepted a payment one time years ago after a drought and it was less than a 1000 bucks. I was young and dumb. I abhor the government and feel that they have a lot of farmers depending on the subsides. I merely wanted to know what opinions on the state programs and how these are funded.

Have never participated in a state or federal ag program but know that the money comes from state and federal taxes that are collected. As you know, those collected taxes are then allocated out to the various state and federal departments for whatever programs. The pond building assistance program isn't available here right now or I would take advantage of it. Some state and federal programs are worthless imo but water conservation programs not only benefits the land owner but everyone else too when the aquifers start getting low.

James T":vtdaenhc said:
M5farm":vtdaenhc said:

Have never participated in a state or federal ag program but know that the money comes from state and federal taxes that are collected. As you know, those collected taxes are then allocated out to the various state and federal departments for whatever programs. The pond building assistance program isn't available here right now or I would take advantage of it. Some state and federal programs are worthless imo but water conservation programs not only benefits the land owner but everyone else too when the aquifers start getting low.

Only if you get your water from a aquifer.

Brute 23":3cxqgj53 said:
James T":3cxqgj53 said:
M5farm":3cxqgj53 said:

Only if you get your water from a aquifer.

Clean water and more available water is a benefit to society at large. And that is why most of these programs exist.

There's not a ton of programs out there for the cattleman. Occasionally drought assistance.

Folks you can split those hairs any way you like. Most people always like to think there opinion is just a little more valuable than the other folks. That is the way human nature is. What is telling is how you act when no body else will find out.

Well you can come and check on me any time MWJ and I will just the same. I don't aim to take any of there bait money. I live with enough buttheads trying to tell me what I can and cannot do on my land without inviting them in. Now you that want to take the money it there for you.

Latest posts