Logging on grandmas 40

Help Support CattleToday:

For those of you that have woodland, and/or timber, it is a good idea to have/get a forest management plan. It is best to look at these areas of the farm with a long term goal in mind, not merely a shot term decision as in "Hey, the price of white oak is up. I have a bunch of white oak. I think I'll sell it." Check with your state Department of Agriculture. They may have some type of "certified" list for timber harvest companies that employ forest harvest BMPs (Best Management Practices). Ohio maintains a "master logger" certified list.

The NRCS does develop Forestry Management Plans and provide funding assistance to implement those plans. Practices include, but are not limited to, tree planting, tree thinning, invasive species control....... often in conjunction with wildlife improvement practices.

For those of you that have woodland, and/or timber, it is a good idea to have/get a forest management plan. It is best to look at these areas of the farm with a long term goal in mind, not merely a shot term decision as in "Hey, the price of white oak is up. I have a bunch of white oak. I think I'll sell it." Check with your state Department of Agriculture. They may have some type of "certified" list for timber harvest companies that employ forest harvest BMPs (Best Management Practices). Ohio maintains a "master logger" certified list.

The NRCS does develop Forestry Management Plans and provide funding assistance to implement those plans. Practices include, but are not limited to, tree planting, tree thinning, invasive species control....... often in conjunction with wildlife improvement practices.
Agreed. I'm going to put this place in a forestry plan.

My friend that's logging for me has a formal education in forestry. His reputation precedes him in this area, I wouldn't have anyone else on the place, so we're fortunate in that aspect.

We have 30 acres of timber that was logged in the early 90s. They made a mess of the place. Ruined a lot of the small trees they left to grow. I'd like to have it thinned out and fence off the perimeter to run cattle on. Hate to get taken advantage of though.

@kenny thomas know anyone around here that's trustworthy?

We have 30 acres of timber that was logged in the early 90s. They made a mess of the place. Ruined a lot of the small trees they left to grow. I'd like to have it thinned out and fence off the perimeter to run cattle on. Hate to get taken advantage of though.

My recommendation as a first step is to get a forestry plan developed. Contact your state department of agriculture or the Natrual Resource Conservation service. Silvopasture, which is what you are suggesting with managing the plot of land for timber AND pasture, is somewhat of a "specialized" management and requires an additional amount of management effort. It can be done. Silvopasture is widely practiced in the Southeast. It isn't (wasn't) an accepted management practice in Ohio (by the NRCS) until about 3 weeks ago when I presented a specific case to the state NRCS office and got the management practice of silvopasture accepted on a 'case by case' basis.

Add to that.
Each state has a Department of Forestry that can help you free. I assisted a former CT nember in Arkansas with getting the state out to give him recommendations. He ended up selling for lots more than he expected.
And yes i retired on December 31, 2021 from Virginia Department of Forestry and assist landowners with their timber now. Don't blindly let someone harvest your timber. In some areas the logger wants to harvest the logs on a very small % to the landowner.
I sold 3/4 acre in the spring of 2022 for 29,000. Yes it was very good

Right now the price is so bad i doubt you can get anyone to do anything with it. Sounds like lots of it may be pulpwood and currently all the pulpwood yards are closed near there. I will look at it for you.

Latest posts