opinions on State programs

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a difference between free loaders looking for a hand out and tax payers getting a return on their investment.
USDA realized the age of the average farmer. We do not need corporate farms producing our food.
I am going to apply for our state's cost share next year. This is state money designated to help farmers and keep farmers in production. The program began in 1986 when many farmers in our state went out of business.
I know friends who pay for pasture and hay ground coverage through FSA every year and have never filed a claim. The government does not give it back at the end of the year if it is not used.

Bigfoot":188i4z48 said:
It's a safe bet this has been posted before, but what the heck.
http://farm.ewg.org
Look my name up. It is Kenny Thomas and I live in Lee Co, Virginia. Its gonna show a few thousand dollars and that is mostly from the tobacco buyout when we had to quit growing tobacco. A little bit is for some water and fencing on a farm that was already signed up when I bought it. With that said if I decide to do something that is conservation minded I will not care one bit to sign up.

I guess if I would of collected 2.4 million in farm welfare, I'd be a good farmer also. Some of these folks I live around are shame less. But they do go to church twice a week at least.
Bigfoot, I could of done without that post. It really pizzes me off. Some folks are just greedy.

highgrit":9agdm5tw said:
I guess if I would of collected 2.4 million in farm welfare, I'd be a good farmer also. Some of these folks I live around are shame less. But they do go to church twice a week at least.
Bigfoot, I could of done without that post. It really pizzes me off. Some folks are just greedy.
The one that collects the most here is a lawyer. Im sure he needs it. He also signs up for everything and hits the limit of whats allowed for each year.

Bigfoot":2orysbaa said:
There's not a ton of programs out there for the cattleman. Occasionally drought assistance.
We can buy protection to keep from going under. Pasture and hay ground protection is $250 each per year, per county.
It does not kick in until there is a 50% loss of hay production or grazing. That is why few ever collect.
If a person bought protection and had a 55% loss it would only pay for the 5% under 50%.
Our hay yields this year were around 50% of normal. No one would have qualified. Nor would the $250 paid to the government have been returned.
A friend of mine buys pasture protection every year, pays the gov. $250 annually. This year he finally got some money. His total was $12. (Total, not per acre)
If there is a state of emergency declared then it would pay whether a person bought protection or not.

The beef check off is one that gets me. We have a state and national beef check off.
We sell a calf and pay $1
The stocker sells the calf and pays another $1
The feed lot sells the grown calf and pays another $1
We slaughter over 500,000 each week (down from 630,000 before the shortage). At 500,000 per week that means the USDA collects 1.5 million per week. Wonder where all that goes? Certainly that money is earmarked for the cattle industry and none would ever go to fund the food stamp program the USDA also over sees.
That does not include the additional $1 some states collect.

That ''eye opener'' is a bribe for low cost food. We get better cattle prices with low cost grain to finish those calves, but think the grain farmers are on the dole? :???: We get a whole lot of gov. benefits that do not come as a direct check in the mail.

hurleyjd":31uaz2eu said:
Next thing they are going to drug test us if we apply.

Every person that gets gov assistance should be drug tested. I have no problem with it cause I ain't a dope smoking hippie.

If you look at the names in your area closely, you will see they are collecting money under many different names: mom, dad, kids, farm name, family partnerships, LLC. The list goes on and on.

mwj":2pv3a5dc said:
That ''eye opener'' is a bribe for low cost food. We get better cattle prices with low cost grain to finish those calves, but think the grain farmers are on the dole? :???: We get a whole lot of gov. benefits that do not come as a direct check in the mail.

The eye opener is the number of extremely successful professional people, (doctors, lawyers, etc.) that receive "assistance" and most likely do not need it and make it more difficult for someone that does.

I saw one individual, the same individual, listed under different farm names that had received almost 2 million.

So does it boil down to jealousy? They are successful and have more than one farm, so they shouldn't get any! This is not what I thought would be coming from this group. These things have one thing in common, they are LEGAL. Do all of you pay taxes without using any exemptions?

mwj":1o88y9n1 said:
So does it boil down to jealousy? They are successful and have more than one farm, so they shouldn't get any! This is not what I thought would be coming from this group. These things have one thing in common, they are LEGAL. Do all of you pay taxes without using any exemptions?
Question....why would it be necessary for one man to file claims as John Doe another as Mary Doe, one as John Doe and Mary Doe Irrevocable Trust, another as John and Mary Doe Heirs??? And I know these people....The number of farms is not an issue. Their success or lack of success is not an issue. Their honesty is !!!!!! Even saw one guy on that list that I know personally that got money for Cotton, corn and milo.....he has never planted the first grain of anything on his place nor has anyone else. Yes the programs are LEGAL. The way some are abusing them is not. I assume from the way you are defending these crooks you and yours file multiple claims and suck the gov't tit as well.

I like to seperate out the livestock/disaster report. Our most recent payment isn't on the site yet

Latest posts