Opinions on my cowherd

Help Support CattleToday:

WarEagle73

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a long time lurker that finally bit the bullet and created an account. I'm not a true beginner, but I am no expert for sure so I figured this was the best place for this post. I wanted to get some opinions on our small commercial herd.

First, I guess I'll give a little background. My father and I run a few head of crossbred cows in the northeast corner of Alabama on Sand Mountain. Originally, it started out as something dad wanted to use to teach me how to work and responsibility, so my grandfather bought me a couple goats and a bottle heifer from a local dairy. From there it has grown a bit and I've now gone on to college at our state land-grant university and recieved a bachelors in animal science and now working on my masters. All that to say, I want to post some pictures and get some opinions on were we are. I realize that there are differences between book knowledge and real-world application, so I'm always asking producers and industry leaders everywhere I go about what really works.

What I am aiming for is a 1000-1200 lb cow that can wean over 50% of her body weight on grass and some hay in the winter. We have a few cows that fit that and are working on getting rid of the others, slowly.

Now on to the pics:

Cow Herd
DSCF2382.jpg

This is our "foundation" female lol. She is the bottle heifer I raised as a kid and is 17 now. She is way too big in my opinion and just stays because she is a pet.

DSCF2369.jpg
DSCF2367.jpg

5 and her steer. Daughter of the first cow.

DSCF2358.jpg

#6. Out of a $270 bred sale cow we bought in 2002.

DSCF2377.jpg
DSCF2379.jpg

#8 and her steer. 1100 lbs at her heaviest. 354 day average calving interval on 5 calves. She is what I consider to be our best cow. Heaviest and highest selling steers almost every year.

DSCF2356.jpg

#10. Bought from the same producer as #8. Another moderate size cow. very similar to #8.

DSCF2386.jpg

#28. Bigger framed Brangus type cow. 1250-1300 lbs. A bit big for what I want but she gets the job done on the same inputs as the small cows.

DSCF2353.jpg

#63. Moderate framed cow that stays FAT year round on grass and raises a good calf. She is newer to the herd so I have fewer calves to look at, but the 2 we have had have been nice. She can be a bit on the wild side, though.

DSCF2365.jpg
DSCF2376.jpg

#67. Out of a South Poll cow and an EXT son. First calf heifer with a January born steer. She will be about 1050-1100 lbs when mature.

DSCF2360.jpg
DSCF2397.jpg

#68. Same breeding and age as 67. SP/EXT son. Her calf is a younger steer, but is a little poor so she will get one more year to prove she should stay.

Bred Heifers
DSCF2387.jpg

#69. Same breeding as 67 and 68 just a year younger.

DSCF2371.jpg

#70. Again, Same breeding as 67 and 68 just a year younger.

DSCF2373.jpg

DSCF2391.jpg

DSCF2388.jpg

#73. 71,72,and 73 are all from the same herd. They are out of moderate framed Brangus cows and a thick built Polled Hereford bull from TRM.

Herd Bull
Our previous herd sire was a black "gelbvieh" bull. I use quotations because we bought him from a friend and I never saw the papers we were supposed to get. He is the sire of the calves in the first pictures and he did an ok job, but we want to start selling breeding age replacement heifers so we decided to by this bull.
DSCF2400.jpg
DSCF2398.jpg
DSCF2393.jpg
DSCF2392.jpg

He a registered Angus. His registeration number is AAA 16529579. He isn't a monster by any means, but I like the way he is built and the calves he has on the ground at the farm I bought him from.

So, that is most of our operation. I apologize for the length of the post and if you have made it this far thank you for taking the time to check it out. Please comment on my cattle and ideas. My photography skills are poor at best, but hopefully this is enough to talk about. I have thick skin so don't hold back. Now that I am a register user, I will try to chime in on conversations when I think I have relevent information. Thanks again for looking and War Eagle!

well i enjoyed looking at your pics an reading about your herd.you have a nice set of calfraisers there.an you know where you want to go with your herd.

Welcome to the boards!
I guarantee you know more about them than me, but I like that #69 heifer best.
The bull looks like he'll transfer some mass and if he's on grass only should add some easy keeping traits as well.
1000-1200 seems to be the target range these days for a lot of producers so i'd say you're just liable to get what you're looking for.
:welcome:

Looks like good calves to me. I see a lot of possilbe things you could do but it really depends on what your marketing objectives are.

Edit: How's the crappie biting in Lake Weiss?

cmf1:
I like the 69 heifer alot. She is thick and pretty broad. I'm expecting good things out of her.
Our bull was bought off a farm that fed a good bit of feed so I was concerned he would melt, but he has done a good job and stayed in good shape on fescue grass and now common bermuda this summer. He bred 10 of 11 Cows in 60 days and 8 of 9 heifers in 45ish days. The one cow he missed is a heavy milker that has never done well for us and the heifer he missed is a mystery. She was the oldest in the set and in good shape, but she brought a decent price at the sale last week. Also, I think a lot of people are targeting that size cattle here because they can generally raise a good calf every year on minimum inputs.

Jogee:
We are wanting to sell good quality replacement heifers to farmers in our community and, hopefully, use this herd to expand if/when I graduate and can buy or lease more land. Our heifers buyers in the past were just excited to get heifers that had been given their "shots" even though they didn't know what vaccinations that meant. Please expand on what you think we can do if you don't mind. I love to hear peoples thoughts.
And unfortunately I don't get to do much fishing these days at Weiss Lake or Lake Guntersville. Grad school tends to get in the way lol.

WarEagle,

Looks to me like you are doing a fine job of building your herd.
If I had to say something negative about them it would only be:
For this time of year I would like to see them 1 BCS higher.
But even without it they should be just fine.

But that could just be from our recent brown out.
And with all this rain we been getting they should recover for winter in plenty of time.

We may be related as I married into the Gamble Klan from Stevenson AL.
SL

Body condition this time of year for us may be a compound problem. Most of the poorer cattle above are lactating with bigger calves right now. On top of that they are all bred from 2-4 months and forage quality around here goes down the toilet in late July until the fall from what I understand. Fescue is a terrible forage right now and the bermuda is beginning to get some maturity to it so it is also declining in quality. Also, it doesn't help that these cows are on a pasture that they have been grazing for some time. We were trying to stretch our forage a bit right now, but it time to rotate on to another pasture.

We are shooting for calving around the beginning of the year, with heifers calving in December and cows starting in January. So that will put us weaning in September most years, I think. We were previously practicing a 365 day calving season, a battle that I finally won with dad. We experimented with some Pearl Millet and Cowpeas this year for our older calves that are already weaned and I think next year we may plant more and allow the cows to graze it in late lactation to keep the cows in better condition and add more pounds to our older calves.

Stevenson is just across the river and up the highway a piece from where I live, but I don't think I know any Gambles although in this part of the country, just because I don't know them doesn't mean I'm not related to them. ;-)

If it were me, I think I would work toward getting more uniformity. Looks like you have a good bull but sortof a hodge podge of cows. Nice calves though. JMO and its free so you get what you pay for.

Uniformity is definitely a goal. With my replacement female purchases, we have tried to match the #8 and #10 cows in frame and type, but we have kinda been at the mercy of our source as to the breed composition. I've been buying heifers from a veterinarian in our area that just happens to be my cousin. I like buying his calves because I get first pick at his herd and I know their history from parentage to health and whatever I want to know. He had some nice South Poll cows that were just a bit bigger than the breed standard and I've been buying the heifers out of those cows, but this last couple years all but one of them have have gotten old and were sold when they came open. Now I've been going through his brangus herd trying to get heifers out of the smaller framed, thick built cows. I'm hoping this new angus bull along with starting a more defined breeding season with give us a much more uniform calf crop.

And some times the best things you get are free :D

You have good looking stock..
IMO you are doing away with your option's as a commercial operation.
You are in the south buying a red cow with some ear along with your bull will put the WOW factor on your calf's.
Red cow's are cheaper and you change the entire calf crop color by changing the bull.
With black you are stuck on black.

ALACOWMAN":u2v10szq said:
i see the bull belonged to Eddie Teague... you have some nice ones in there..

I was wondering if someone would see that...that would be my dad. I guess I lost some of my internet anonymity lol. and thank you hopefully we are one the way to having only nices ones in the group

YOu're doing fine, just continue to use the best bulls you can afford and work towards a beefier type.

FFF21":hp8afq4e said:
Good looking herd. I like the looks of that black bull.

Please elaborate as to what you like about that bull. This is not a setup or trying to put you on the spot.

I'm curious as well. Obviously I bought the bull so I like him, but I'd like peoples opinions on him directly since the herd sire is arguably the most important purchase for the whole herd.

Also, thanks for all the kind comments. We have worked hard on this, but I respect constructive criticism and would love to hear what people that have more experience than I do think about my ideas and practices.

Latest posts