opinions(angus bull)

Help Support CattleToday:

Josh

Reaction score
cows014.jpg

What are yalls thoughts on this bull? Any opinions would be apprciated.

I think the bull needs a little more muscle in the lower 1/3, a deeper flank, and more substance of bone, looks to be long enough and smooth enough shouldered. The bull may be better than what the pic shows but that is what I think based on the pic. Personally I would not use him based on pic, I would have to see the bull in the flesh to give you a a better analysis.

i dont know if its the way hes standing or what but i dont like the looks of his hips and he looks like he has a funnel butt.

This bull would only be covering a small commercial herd..maybe 9 to 10 cows. Any thoughts on the age?

He looks thin, has he been working hard ? How old ? If he is young he going to fill out...

He is in with the cows now. He is supposed to be 2. If he is 2 how much more will he fill out?

I think what you got there is a thin 2 yr old. He would look a lot better with a couple hundred more pounds. He could probably use a little better quality feed. For 9 or 10 cows I wouldn't go out and spend 3-4 k on a bull either. I think you will do alright with him. And the black calves will sell well. 8)

Let us know how things turn out.

mnmtranching":382pc48n said:
I think what you got there is a thin 2 yr old. He would look a lot better with a couple hundred more pounds. He could probably use a little better quality feed. For 9 or 10 cows I wouldn't go out and spend 3-4 k on a bull either. I think you will do alright with him. And the black calves will sell well. 8)

I agree for this operation he gets the job done its not realistic for a small scale ranch with 10 or less to go out and buy a herd sire for 3,000 to 5,000+ dollars For that price a commercial man can go out and buy 4-6+ Good bred heifers

mnmtranching":11n99fqb said:

I totally agree. I would NOT go out and get another bull with your size of operation. See how the calves turn out. What kind of momma cows do you have?

My thoughts were the same. I don't see paying 3 to 5k for a bull just to cover a few commercial cows. Most of them are angus cross cows.

vs_cattle":2p5slsri said:
mnmtranching":2p5slsri said:

I agree for this operation he gets the job done its not realistic for a small scale ranch with 10 or less to go out and buy a herd sire for 3,000 to 5,000+ dollars For that price a commercial man can go out and buy 4-6+ Good bred heifers

good point

Good length and front shoulders. Not very good in the rear and really shallow. You definately want more body in a bull. On your next bull look for strengths that will offset his weekness. Wether you do commercial or registered on any scale thats what you look to do. No bull has everything.

Between years 2 and 3, a bulls looks can change a lot. My angus bull looked totally different as he approached 3 years old.

Looks at your calf crop and act accordingly. He might do great on your commercial cows!! Good Luck.

thats true.. bulls do change alot between 2-3 years of age. Mine did, and I was almost disappointed when he reached 2 years of age. Now, I am glad he filled out like he did, and is putting out some fine calves..

Your bull is extremely thin. Muscle & guts can't be expressed when the animal is not getting proper nutrition. If you expect him to breed any cows, I would be concerned about getting some quality groceries in him. Cattle can starve to death "knee deep" in hay if the hay is poor quality. Looks like the "yellow" cow in the background is in the same poor condition, so I would have to assume you have poor quality hay. Seems like you need to learn to be able to LOOK at your cattle and realize they are THIN.
Here's a good site to learn how to Body Condition Score your cattle: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/photos1-9.html
There are MANY people that can't look at there own cattle and not see the bad points or poor condition, something that needs to be "learned". If you can SEE the spine & hip bones like what I see in your bull & cow, they are too thin. Cows do not rebreed very well in that condition and don't produce good quality colostrum for their newborns. The problems just perpetuate from low quality feed.
I agree a commercial man can't be spending $3-5000 on a bull for 8-10 head of cows - BUT - he sure should be able to spend maybe $1500 and buy a decent bull. You can buy some really super bulls off NY bull test for $1500, so I imagine you could have found one in your area.
We really can't tell if this bull is as bad as he looks until he gets into a BCS of maybe 5-6

Jeanne,

Thanks for your thoughts. The cow in question was the bull though, not the "yellow" cow. This picture wasn't taken at my place and the "yellow" doesn't belong to me. My cows are on "good quality hay" and yes I know what a healthy cow looks like. I guess I should post a different pic of this bull because he isn't that thin...as everyone assumes from the pic. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Latest posts