Opened A New Feed Store

Help Support CattleToday:

Just like the old days used to save good 50 lb bags and got a dime to fifteen cents each for them. Saved a little of the feed bill by re-seling them and then gov. came and said they couldn't reuse them either. When I get a bulk bag now it holds about 2300 on average and the different is about 40 dollars a ton between that and buying a ton in 50 lb bags. Use the same bag an they fill it and load it with a forklift.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3f9oztka said:
Can you carry Mormans? Not sure if that is a conflict with Purina, but they have good show feed also. We feed Morman's pig feed to the two show pigs we raise every year for our local county fair, and at $40/cwt, it is NOT CHEAP!
I strongly suggest you get in tight with the local FFA and 4-H groups, support the local fairs and such. Our feed store will buy our kids premium, or make an "ad-on" if the price goes too high (usually the kids make about $300 total). It is great advertising for the business to put a little back into the kids pockets. We buy feed at that feed store because we know they support the kids at the county fair. It benefits both of us!
Purina gets pretty particular with regards to competitive feeds... especially the "premium" feeds. They really don't care about the "Cheap" feeds... there will always be a demand for the 10-12% Sweet Feeds or All-Stock. Purina realizes that and understands that it is more economical for us to purchase that stuff locally. My Father-in-Law was a dairyman his entire life and I can remember the Moormans feed trucks delivering feed to his dairy.

With regards to the local FFA and 4-H groups, yes we are starting to work with a few of the local ones!

Congratulations on the new venture - I hope it works out great for your family. That's something that I've always thought I'd like to try someday. I missed a good opportunity to buy one years ago, maybe I won't next time.

ADM now owns the Moorman brand, and the only individual dealers are those that are grandfathered in. Otherwise it all moves through a retail feed store. They do still employ salesmen (or "reps") that get out and hustle business, and some do some personal delivery, but everything has to run through a retail outlet. And yeah, I doubt if Purina or ADM would be open to a new dealer selling both - they'd both like to be exclusive ( at least as far as their "full line" products go) but you do sometimes see well established, high volume dealers that handle both.

DLD":y9a9022p said:
Congratulations on the new venture - I hope it works out great for your family. That's something that I've always thought I'd like to try someday. I missed a good opportunity to buy one years ago, maybe I won't next time.

ADM now owns the Moorman brand, and the only individual dealers are those that are grandfathered in. Otherwise it all moves through a retail feed store. They do still employ salesmen (or "reps") that get out and hustle business, and some do some personal delivery, but everything has to run through a retail outlet. And yeah, I doubt if Purina or ADM would be open to a new dealer selling both - they'd both like to be exclusive ( at least as far as their "full line" products go) but you do sometimes see well established, high volume dealers that handle both.
Remind them that it is your store. They might whine a bit but I have several friends that sell purina and other feeds. They catch a little flack about tonnage as Purina almost demands that their tonnage go up every year but otherwise it's not a problem.

Mat Man":2g412y2x said:
Tn Cattle Man,
Just curious if new road widing project is going to do with your business ?
That hasn't been determined just yet... we know where the borders of the road will be, just not sure where they will make me move the fence too. I can't afford to lose to much of my parking lot as we have to be able to get big trucks in there weekly. Worst case scenario is that I find a new location. Do you come in to the store?

TN Cattle Man":2lc22nrc said:
Mat Man":2lc22nrc said:
Tn Cattle Man,
Just curious if new road widing project is going to do with your business ?
That hasn't been determined just yet... we know where the borders of the road will be, just not sure where they will make me move the fence too. I can't afford to lose to much of my parking lot as we have to be able to get big trucks in there weekly. Worst case scenario is that I find a new location. Do you come in to the store?

You don't have much ground to spare. Good luck on that.

Latest posts