Opened A New Feed Store

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2q4id1y3 said:
Friend has a feed store and also has an incubator and hatches all sorts of poultry and sells them really cheap....cheap enough a child could buy a couple with their allowance. Or a sucker for a deal like me. You know, I really do have better things to do than visit him each week to buy chicken feed.
:lol: :clap: :lol:

Jogeephus":2py6uuhc said:
Friend has a feed store and also has an incubator and hatches all sorts of poultry and sells them really cheap....cheap enough a child could buy a couple with their allowance. Or a sucker for a deal like me. You know, I really do have better things to do than visit him each week to buy chicken feed.
Joe those chicks are the "bait". Then they have to buy a $20 bag of feed to keep'em going.

TexasBred":2unfv3os said:
Jogeephus":2unfv3os said:
Joe those chicks are the "bait". Then they have to buy a $20 bag of feed to keep'em going.
You got that right TB!! There was a store last year that was "Giving Away" 1 chick for every bag of Chick Starter that you purchased. Not a bad plan if you think about it... Wholesale chicks around here cost next to nothing.

TN Cattle Man":1dfdauhl said:
J&D Cattle":1dfdauhl said:
One thing that helped a new local feed store here is our local 4-H and FFA Fair/Expo. This gentleman is also a Purina dealer and he sells Honor Show Chow and Supplements to a bunch of local kids. These kids then advertise on their signs what they have been feeding.

Good luck.
Yep... we've started down that road ourselves. I am very surprised at what these "Show" people are willing to pay for the Purina Honor Show Chows! It is some really good feed, but man that stuff is pricey!!

Purina Honor Show chows are some of the very best bagged show feeds out there. People that have shown steers at national levels have tried to make their own rations, and have just given up and gone back to show chow. It really is hard to beat for a bagged feed, even at that price!

TN Cattle Man":nxdcyidw said:
J&D Cattle":nxdcyidw said:
One thing that helped a new local feed store here is our local 4-H and FFA Fair/Expo. This gentleman is also a Purina dealer and he sells Honor Show Chow and Supplements to a bunch of local kids. These kids then advertise on their signs what they have been feeding.

Good luck.
Yep... we've started down that road ourselves. I am very surprised at what these "Show" people are willing to pay for the Purina Honor Show Chows! It is some really good feed, but man that stuff is pricey!!

My son raised two hogs and I couldn't believe what it cost. He sold the barrow for a very nice profit and somebody liked the gilt well enough they took her to breed. We will be feeding Purina again next year!

TN Cattle Man":3q1gq6az said:
TexasBred":3q1gq6az said:
Jogeephus":3q1gq6az said:
You got that right TB!! There was a store last year that was "Giving Away" 1 chick for every bag of Chick Starter that you purchased. Not a bad plan if you think about it... Wholesale chicks around here cost next to nothing.
In that case I'm make sure everybody got at least a dozen. Not only feed but waterers, wormers, etc. Baby chicks and ducks can be your best sales personnel.

J&D Cattle":3fc2rji6 said:
TN Cattle Man":3fc2rji6 said:
J&D Cattle":3fc2rji6 said:

Good luck.

My son raised two hogs and I couldn't believe what it cost. He sold the barrow for a very nice profit and somebody liked the gilt well enough they took her to breed. We will be feeding Purina again next year!
We have a local producer around us that uses the Show Chow to finish a couple of steers out on for about 30-60 days prior to butchering... swears by the stuff!! Comes in every Friday to pick up 5 bags.

TexasBred":22psw1e5 said:
TN Cattle Man":22psw1e5 said:
TexasBred":22psw1e5 said:
In that case I'm make sure everybody got at least a dozen. Not only feed but waterers, wormers, etc. Baby chicks and ducks can be your best sales personnel.
Already planning for our "Chick Days" specials that we will have next Spring!!

Just had the pleasure of meeting Bill (Ol'243) and his wife at the feed store today! What a great couple. They were on their way to Kentucky Lake where Bill drives (pilots) a 1/4 mike drag boat. I got to go into the trailer and check that monster out :nod:

Wishing you all the Best and good luck this weekend Bill!!

The pleasure was ours. Heck of a nice place you got there, I'm sure you'll do great.

If you live in the Clarksville area, do yourself a favor and trade with Brian, fine folks.

I don't know if you are planning on doing this or not but have you any plans on dealing with feed in the MegaSacks? They will hold between 1000-1500 lbs of bulk feed. My friend started dealing in these and it was a real hit to the smaller producers who fed cattle because of the savings. It was also good for him because he was able to have a good margin on the feed while reducing his handling costs and make allowing him to sell more feed than he otherwise would. A lot of cattlemen would brind their creep wagons to his store and he would fill their wagons with his forklift. It was win/win deal for everyone. If you are interested pm me and I can give you a general idea of what his margin was for each bag.

Jogeephus":2nkbui1a said:
I don't know if you are planning on doing this or not but have you any plans on dealing with feed in the MegaSacks? They will hold between 1000-1500 lbs of bulk feed. My friend started dealing in these and it was a real hit to the smaller producers who fed cattle because of the savings. It was also good for him because he was able to have a good margin on the feed while reducing his handling costs and make allowing him to sell more feed than he otherwise would. A lot of cattlemen would brind their creep wagons to his store and he would fill their wagons with his forklift. It was win/win deal for everyone. If you are interested pm me and I can give you a general idea of what his margin was for each bag.
Jo I did that for a while and saved some money and it was very convenient. Feed store would take the big sacks bag when you purchased a new one, then the state of Texas passed a new feed law that the sacks could not be exchanged.... Said they were afraid of what might have been put in then while "on the farm" so rather than pay $25 extra for the big bag I just went back to the 50 lb. bags.

TexasBred":20gii8at said:
then the state of Texas passed a new feed law that the sacks could not be exchanged.... Said they were afraid of what might have been put in then while "on the farm" so rather than pay $25 extra for the big bag I just went back to the 50 lb. bags.

Is it just me or does it seem like the gov't always finds a way to screw over the smaller producers in favor of the big guys with their silly regulations?

Jogeephus":86xa2mzi said:
TexasBred":86xa2mzi said:
then the state of Texas passed a new feed law that the sacks could not be exchanged.... Said they were afraid of what might have been put in then while "on the farm" so rather than pay $25 extra for the big bag I just went back to the 50 lb. bags.

Is it just me or does it seem like the gov't always finds a way to screw over the smaller producers in favor of the big guys with their silly regulations?
It's not you Jo....another big change coming end of year is the revised Veterinary Feed Directive which is going to make it expensive for producers to obtain and use certain medications and medicated feeds. Of course it is backed by the Vets as they stand to gain thousands of new clients.

Jogeephus":31f8v5ca said:
TexasBred":31f8v5ca said:

Sure does seem like everything these days are geared towards the big guys.

Can you carry Mormans? Not sure if that is a conflict with Purina, but they have good show feed also. We feed Morman's pig feed to the two show pigs we raise every year for our local county fair, and at $40/cwt, it is NOT CHEAP!
I strongly suggest you get in tight with the local FFA and 4-H groups, support the local fairs and such. Our feed store will buy our kids premium, or make an "ad-on" if the price goes too high (usually the kids make about $300 total). It is great advertising for the business to put a little back into the kids pockets. We buy feed at that feed store because we know they support the kids at the county fair. It benefits both of us!

Fire Sweep Ranch":3e0gu0j1 said:
Can you carry Mormans? Not sure if that is a conflict with Purina, but they have good show feed also. We feed Morman's pig feed to the two show pigs we raise every year for our local county fair, and at $40/cwt, it is NOT CHEAP!
I strongly suggest you get in tight with the local FFA and 4-H groups, support the local fairs and such. Our feed store will buy our kids premium, or make an "ad-on" if the price goes too high (usually the kids make about $300 total). It is great advertising for the business to put a little back into the kids pockets. We buy feed at that feed store because we know they support the kids at the county fair. It benefits both of us!

We used to use Moorman's mineral for cattle, I don't remember a store carrying it here. They had local individuals as dealer/representative, that would come around and take orders, and bring it. I haven't heard of anyone doing that for several years. I now use Purina or Southern States products from our local stores.

Latest posts