Opened A New Feed Store

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":qada6kq3 said:
Well I found myself within 30 miles of the Diamond H Farm & Feed Store today so I decide to take a little detour and visit Brian for an hour or so. Every time we tried to sit down and discuss his product line an actual paying customer would call his phone or walk in the front door looking for assistance. I'd say he and his son have a good thing going and they should do exceptional well.

I urge all you CT members in south central Kentucky and northern middle TN to stop by and check things out.

Oh, and that 72" Dixie Chopper is one heck of a mowing machine.
Thanks for the kind words Larry! It was a pleasure sitting down with you today... I look forward to the day when we can just meet at the farm and have a social visit without all the distractions.

NECowboy":vwho5h18 said:
I wish I lived even remotely close to or had relatives nearby the feed store so I could go visit it. I get sick of Tractor Supply, Orscheln's, not having what I need and the salespeople not having much knowledge. That's where I try to buy as much as I can local at the independently owned stores. You know that TN Cattle Man will carry good products and have what you are looking for where he has been and still is a rancher presumably most all his life. Moreover he'll understand your operation and what he can do to help your operation product and equipment wise cuz he's been there himself. And to me that makes for one heck of a store! Best of luck Brian, I don't think you'll have any trouble with your background and sounds like also great product line!
Thanks NECowboy!

TN Cattle Man":2e0qsrxm said:
I look forward to the day when we can just meet at the farm and have a social visit without all the distractions.

Yeah work is like that especially with a well run business, a little chaotic, that's why I have a secretary that sets appointments so I can focus and help one person to the fullest at a time and I like to get in super early to get the work done without distractions, but something about working with cattle even if they are angry, stressed, bellowing, misbehaving is relaxing and helps me deal better with the chaos at work and put it all into perspective! Chaos at work is good though it means people are calling, stopping in, you're making money!!

Do you have a flyer with weekly, biweekly deals? One of our local hardware stores here does that (but not feed store) and it is fantastic. It builds excitement about current and new products, gets your name out there in front of people on a regular basis, and people always like to feel they got a great deal. An even cheaper way might be to do this with email list - I know I get emails from Orschelns several times a week (but they are a big company) but I know a lot of the older farmers and ranchers around here would not use email so that would only be limited at best.

True Grit Farms":3arrft1y said:
What kind of pocket knives do you carry? A few Moore Maker knives are on my shopping list.
Haven't decided on what to carry just yet... still investigating all the options. I will check out the Moore Maker brand. Will probably start with the Case knives and grow it from there.

NECowboy":1r0m4mfd said:
TN Cattle Man":1r0m4mfd said:
I look forward to the day when we can just meet at the farm and have a social visit without all the distractions.

Yeah work is like that especially with a well run business, a little chaotic, that's why I have a secretary that sets appointments so I can focus and help one person to the fullest at a time and I like to get in super early to get the work done without distractions, but something about working with cattle even if they are angry, stressed, bellowing, misbehaving is relaxing and helps me deal better with the chaos at work and put it all into perspective! Chaos at work is good though it means people are calling, stopping in, you're making money!!

Do you have a flyer with weekly, biweekly deals? One of our local hardware stores here does that (but not feed store) and it is fantastic. It builds excitement about current and new products, gets your name out there in front of people on a regular basis, and people always like to feel they got a great deal. An even cheaper way might be to do this with email list - I know I get emails from Orschelns several times a week (but they are a big company) but I know a lot of the older farmers and ranchers around here would not use email so that would only be limited at best.
We are starting several different "marketing" strategies... direct mailings and emails are already being implemented. Social Media has also been a good way to reach a certain target audience (good thing my son is up on that sort of thing). I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call. A lot of our bigger producers actually like the fact that we will take the time to visit them on their farms and this gives us that personal approach and relationship building that is sorely lacking in our industry. We have a long way to go, but we will give it our best!!

TN Cattle Man":3j3b29at said:
NECowboy":3j3b29at said:
TN Cattle Man":3j3b29at said:

We are starting several different "marketing" strategies... direct mailings and emails are already being implemented. Social Media has also been a good way to reach a certain target audience (good thing my son is up on that sort of thing). I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call. A lot of our bigger producers actually like the fact that we will take the time to visit them on their farms and this gives us that personal approach and relationship building that is sorely lacking in our industry. We have a long way to go, but we will give it our best!!

Sounds like you are on top of it, best of luck to y'all!!

Brian, I wouldn't know you if you walked up. But, I'm fairly certain that, judging from your posts and others posts, with your personality, attitude, work ethic, and other attributes you and your son will turn this venture into a highly successful business :tiphat:

TN Cattle Man":3px8stdq said:
True Grit Farms":3px8stdq said:
What kind of pocket knives do you carry? A few Moore Maker knives are on my shopping list.
Haven't decided on what to carry just yet... still investigating all the options. I will check out the Moore Maker brand. Will probably start with the Case knives and grow it from there.

Hard to go wrong with Case knives.

JMJ Farms":1qvqx9ag said:
Brian, I wouldn't know you if you walked up. But, I'm fairly certain that, judging from your posts and others posts, with your personality, attitude, work ethic, and other attributes you and your son will turn this venture into a highly successful business :tiphat:

And when you become a national chain, be sure to open a store in Nebraska! :cboy:

TN Cattle Man":2xcdxsdb said:

Sounds good with the visit thing. People like to know they are appreciated. Also show up dressed like you're willing to help them do any chore on the farm BUT just snazy enough that they won't ask you to. :mrgreen: I don't know how much good advertising in local paper and/or radio does. Knowing your products, returning phone calls and just making yourself available will be appreciated by most. Some will assume you owe them that. :nod: :nod: :nod:

You'll learn over time as well what inventory moves and what to discontinue especially the stuff in your showroom :nod: . Sometimes it's best to lose a sale than order or stock everything imaginable, sell one and the remainder of the case gets old.

NECowboy":3l6cb3vk said:
TexasBred":3l6cb3vk said:
TN Cattle Man":3l6cb3vk said:
I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call.
Sounds good with the visit thing.

Just don't act like m-5 on your sales call! ;-)

M5 lives in his mother's basement and is fragile. Please don't cause him to off the deep end again.

One thing that helped a new local feed store here is our local 4-H and FFA Fair/Expo. This gentleman is also a Purina dealer and he sells Honor Show Chow and Supplements to a bunch of local kids. These kids then advertise on their signs what they have been feeding.

Good luck.

J&D Cattle":2prgl2kl said:
One thing that helped a new local feed store here is our local 4-H and FFA Fair/Expo. This gentleman is also a Purina dealer and he sells Honor Show Chow and Supplements to a bunch of local kids. These kids then advertise on their signs what they have been feeding.

Good luck.
Yep... we've started down that road ourselves. I am very surprised at what these "Show" people are willing to pay for the Purina Honor Show Chows! It is some really good feed, but man that stuff is pricey!!

Friend has a feed store and also has an incubator and hatches all sorts of poultry and sells them really cheap....cheap enough a child could buy a couple with their allowance. Or a sucker for a deal like me. You know, I really do have better things to do than visit him each week to buy chicken feed.

Latest posts