Online Sales/ Auction- Would you do it? Australia based

Help Support CattleToday:

Firstly let me say we have successfully bought and sold cattle and sheep on Australia's Auctionsplus system. But I'm not a fan of buying stock, you usually get something whopped into you that you wouldve knocked out had you inspected them physically. We once bought a line of cows and received one with a knocked-down hip - we mentioned it to the assessor when the opportunity arose some time later and his reply was "don't whinge, it made it up the ramp onto the truck didn't it?" And we'd paid big money for those santa cows. Also, son bought cows and calves and were assured the calves were mothered up correctly - they were not. Last week's Queensland Country Life newspaper ran a story about an unhappy customer who bought "not station mated" heifers. Small and stunted, half of them proved in calf and were unlikely to calve successfully.
When the market is hot, you can get top money, over and above saleyard prices. When its not, don't bother having your stock assessed. Also, I think some assessors boost the cattle up too much, others understate them. And photos tell lies.

Latest posts