Did it again.

Help Support CattleToday:

Geeze... I'm probably guilty of that. I've been around urbanites so much that I speak it without thinking.

On the other hand, I really don't use that word unless there is some amount of disrespect involved already, urban colloquialism or otherwise.
I use it mostly in times of excitement. Positive excitement. Like a "thatta boy" type scenario. "Good job Dude!" Or a "Dude, how have you been? Haven't seen you in forever!" Endearment term/word.

Then, yes, there is the "What were you thinking, Dude?"

I kinda stepped in a pile on that one huh. I see what you mean. You suppose that's where the word came from? A dude ranch?

Im 36, so growing up it was a synonym for man, buddy, pal, friend, guy, etc. Suppose you'd say it's hippie shiit.

"Dude" wasnt meant as an insult to you though, my man. I'll remove it from my CT vocabulary especially for you REAL cowboys.
I didn't take it as an insult because I do understand how means of words have evolved. It certainly isn't a go to blows insult. It is more like a minor irritant.

Reading about Dave"s cow buying and Murray's stockyard adventures gave me an itch to try my luck with buying some pairs this spring. They do not age the cows at our local yard and I think I see why.
I bought a cow with its first calf (?), a cow with its second calf (?), and a couple of older cows with calves thought to be 8 and 10 years old.
I had the vet help work my cattle last week and I asked him to mouth the cows. They came in at 4 and 5 and 10 and 15 years old.
With an average just over $1300 a pair and nice calves I think I will be all right,
Still, I think my plan to raise my own replacements just got validated.

Reading about Dave"s cow buying and Murray's stockyard adventures gave me an itch to try my luck with buying some pairs this spring. They do not age the cows at our local yard and I think I see why.
I bought a cow with its first calf (?), a cow with its second calf (?), and a couple of older cows with calves thought to be 8 and 10 years old.
I had the vet help work my cattle last week and I asked him to mouth the cows. They came in at 4 and 5 and 10 and 15 years old.
With an average just over $1300 a pair and nice calves I think I will be all right,
I will admit that for years i would buy decent looking older cows here and haul them to KY to a stockyard where they didnt age them for the sale. Made a lot of money on those usually.

I use it mostly in times of excitement. Positive excitement. Like a "thatta boy" type scenario. "Good job Dude!" Or a "Dude, how have you been? Haven't seen you in forever!" Endearment term/word.

Then, yes, there is the "What were you thinking, Dude?"
My dad called everyone Dude because he couldn't remember names. I had a female Heeler named Dude!🤣

Well, maybe not totally validated to raise your own, but at least be very cautious about buying brood cows at the stock sale. Direct from the breeder with the pedigree is the best initial source. Create your own personal brood cows/ herd by retaining replacements with characteristics you want beyond that. The pedigreed cows will be more expensive to start with, but it start you out with a solid foundation that is much closer to your 'personal cow type' than buying unknowns from the stockyard and hoping and culling for the best from what could be considered 'scraps' from some points of view.

Then again, there are great deals and perfectly good animals at the sale barn. There just happen to be a lot more 'frogs' to sort through to get to the 'royalty' (prince and princess) than going through a breeder.

My grandfather called everyone "mike" so when I had my son, I didn't want a "jr" so called him Michael with his father's name as middle name... What did my grandfather do??? He started calling him "george".....:rolleyes:

We have bought many cows at the stockyards... and often buy the "lower end" and very often buy the older ones... Like @Dave they are often one and dones although we do not have the direct to on the rail type situation he does... BUT.... we will many times raise up their heifers and if decent, become future brood cows. I am with @MurraysMutts on that one... they don't get old being mediocre... especially when they are in smaller herd dispersals or someone having to cut numbers. Buried a few also, but for the most part, haven't done too bad over the years... they get fed a little "better" over the winter if we get them in the fall... silage and/or some grain... often kept with the weaned heifers so they get watched over a little better...
Worked our way up to 150 head of brood cows... NOPE they aren't all near as nice as many pictures of some herds on here... like @TCRanch 's nice looking cows... but their purpose is to make money to make payments... and in times like this, they make money even if they get culled in the end...

Geeze... I'm probably guilty of that. I've been around urbanites so much that I speak it without thinking.

On the other hand, I really don't use that word unless there is some amount of disrespect involved already, urban colloquialism or otherwise.
Maybe I'm dating myself. For whatever reason, when I hear the term "Dude", I think of Shaggy on Scooby Doo.

So many can't look at a cow and come close to aging them.

I can tell a young cow from an older cow going through the ring, but telling a 3 yr old from a five, or a ten yr old from a 14 is above my pay grade. If you can do that you are pretty good.
I have watched many cows sell over the years but still do not have the best eye for it. I get my youngest daughter to help me select heifers and ewe lambs to keep for replacements as she has a natural eye for it and points out things I miss.
I have bought many cows through the yards and usually make money on them, even the one and dones. Still for trouble free cattle that know where home is and are adapted to my conditions, I like the heifers I keep.

Well, maybe not totally validated to raise your own, but at least be very cautious about buying brood cows at the stock sale. Direct from the breeder with the pedigree is the best initial source. Create your own personal brood cows/ herd by retaining replacements with characteristics you want beyond that. The pedigreed cows will be more expensive to start with, but it start you out with a solid foundation that is much closer to your 'personal cow type' than buying unknowns from the stockyard and hoping and culling for the best from what could be considered 'scraps' from some points of view.

Then again, there are great deals and perfectly good animals at the sale barn. There just happen to be a lot more 'frogs' to sort through to get to the 'royalty' (prince and princess) than going through a breeder.
If you get to know the people running the sale barn and/or get to know when good ranches bring their cull cows (BM/SS, maybe even just ten years old and that's when they sell an older cow) in to unload them, you can often get quality cows for kill prices. You have to know the brands, and/or get the nod from the auctioneer and sometimes be ready to buy a lot of thirty cows.
I've had very good luck with buying late bred culls, but at least half are one and done.

I can tell a young cow from an older cow going through the ring, but telling a 3 yr old from a five, or a ten yr old from a 14 is above my pay grade. If you can do that you are pretty good.
I have watched many cows sell over the years but still do not have the best eye for it. I get my youngest daughter to help me select heifers and ewe lambs to keep for replacements as she has a natural eye for it and points out things I miss.
I have bought many cows through the yards and usually make money on them, even the one and dones. Still for trouble free cattle that know where home is and are adapted to my conditions, I like the heifers I keep.
2, 3 and 4/5 is pretty easy, then they get to be 10 and the mouth starts to look like a snow shovel, bags break down etc.

Latest posts