If it were easy......

Help Support CattleToday:

Cow prices inching back up . If you got the hay or grass put some weight on her and carry her back to the sale barn .

Sorry for your loss. I wouldn't sweat the small financial loses...cattle and land are what's important...and just living the experience being connected to the land and animals. Most farmers and ranchers/ families make their BIGGEST handsome financial gains when they exit and sell their land....that is, after they sell their cattle too. Generational farms passed-down are the best...but we're all rich with a back-up plan. It's nice working under those (wealth) conditions even though we lose some money some years.

Sorry for your loss. I wouldn't sweat the small financial loses...cattle and land are what's important...and just living the experience being connected to the land and animals. Most farmers and ranchers/ families make their BIGGEST handsome financial gains when they exit and sell their land....that is, after they sell their cattle too. Generational farms passed-down are the best...but we're all rich with a back-up plan. It's nice working under those (wealth) conditions even though we lose some money some years.
I have been at this long enough that one slipping a calf doesn't bother me. Not in to her much more than the purchase price. I hadn't even branded or ear tagged her yet. If you haven't lost any, you haven't owned many. I thought about the words in the Gambler song, Not every hand is a winner, not every hand is a loser......

Last edited: