Brahma mama, Whats it worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Everything here has a brand and depending on how many times the animal has changed ownership it might have a bunch of brands. There are so many brands registered in Oregon that they won't except a brand with less than 3 characters. I went through about 20 requests before I finally came up with one they would accept. About 2 owners back on this place put their brand in the concrete in front of the garage. It is C over U. I couldn't find anything like it in the brand book. But they wouldn't accept it from me. I have thought about adding a rafter or bar or some other characteristic to it and registering it next time my registration comes up.

I bought an old cow one winter. She was wooled up pretty good for the winter. The brand inspector who didn't last long said she had no brands. I slapped my brand on her. When she shed out that spring she had 8 different brands. Looked like a road map of Washington and Oregon. It is a big no no to put a brand on top of an existing brand. By pure luck I missed the other brands when I applied my iron.
Ha! I bought an older Charolais cow through a sale barn in St Onge SD and calved her out, raised the calf, and it turned out too light for me to keep the cow. The cow had a funny brand, low on the right shoulder. I put my brand on her, left shoulder. I took the cow back to the same barn to get rid of her and the owner accused me of selling a stolen cow. I don't know any of the particulars but I had my paperwork in order and could prove the cow had been sold to me through the barn the previous year. I suspect the barn owner got in some hot water over it because after that he had a grudge going. Long story short... brand your cattle and keep your paperwork.

Full brahma bull, 18 months, dark grey sold this morning for 2000 dollars. Semen tested excellent.
No pictures sorry. I didn't buy him, tho he seemed pretty gentle.
When I had my place in NW Arkansas one of my neighbors lost a really beautiful brahma bull during a cold snap. Big guy, but lots of extra skin and the cold was too much for him.

Latest posts