For who it might interest

Help Support CattleToday:

A local guy is selling them $250-$400 a head open heifers and cows and bred heifers and cows.
Sale barn they are running
Bred $250-400
Opens $100-$200
By the pound for ropers $0.50- $0.75

Wow... That's cheap! The wife has a herd of Longhorns. Keeps them in the pasture by the house for decoration. Still surprised at the number of people who will stop and take pictures of them.

Kinda like holsteins.... they aren't worth alot, and they are worth now what they were worth 30 years ago.... I have one, she is my "lawn ornament" even though she isn't real friendly..... but dogs don't go in the field bothering anything so I expect coyotes wouldn't either.

farmerjan said:
Kinda like holsteins.... they aren't worth alot, and they are worth now what they were worth 30 years ago.... I have one, she is my "lawn ornament" even though she isn't real friendly..... but dogs don't go in the field bothering anything so I expect coyotes wouldn't either.

May have to buy some I'm having dog problems myself I've warned the neighbors and got the go ahead from sheriffs office I'm not waisting my breath talking anymore I'm talking with lead from now on pack of mutts got ahold of a bull calf yesterday he's gonna make it but is limping on his rear leg

Shoot 'em. End of discussion. I do like the longhorn, I bought her mother with her as a month old calf, she is pure longhorn and has a very nice set of horns. Big wide and even. She will go after the dogs that were coming in the one pasture when she was just a yearling heifer, yet for the most part did not use them on the other cattle. Took a dislike to one holstein cross cow, and would try to hook her in the catch pen, but ignored her out in the pasture. But I like the way she doesn't like the dogs. I have one dairy cow that doesn't like dogs either, but she doesn't have horns. She will chase them but if there is a pack, it could be a problem with no horns to back her up. So I am glad to have this longhorn. She is with a black angus bull, hopefully is bred. That ought to amp up her protective instincts when she drops a calf.

Latest posts