Online 122L Heifers -- Recommend Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":3d0ve05k said:
smnherf":3d0ve05k said:
Online daughter matings to me would mean that as a rule, depending on what their mothers were, would
mean that I would want to reduce the bw, improve eyeset and pigment on eyes and scrotal, add more red marking to legs and neck, improve udders, improve feet and legs, improve calf vigor, improve fertility and longevity while maintaining the thickness, bone and massiveness and REA found in most of the 122l progeny, I would look into a bull like World Class 10H. I guess I am partial to maternal bulls though.

Brian

Because of their dam's 517 pedigree combined with Online's pedigree, I think I am satisfied with all the categories you have listed except for longevity and eyeset of which I am not sure yet. I am leaning to Neon or Rambo for some strange reason. How do you think they would combine?

I would use Neon but you will most likeygo with a polled bull. I think Rambo is to framey and to overpriced for semen. I like the looks of him and of progeny but cant make myself spend that kind of money for semen.

Neon still has lower B.W. and great Y.W. numbers and carcass to back it up. He will not take off the extra leather up front if the heifers have that. He will staighten out most of the other things if they have them.

Just my two cents.

HerefordSire":2y51s8lw said:
smnherf":2y51s8lw said:
Online daughter matings to me would mean that as a rule, depending on what their mothers were, would
mean that I would want to reduce the bw, improve eyeset and pigment on eyes and scrotal, add more red marking to legs and neck, improve udders, improve feet and legs, improve calf vigor, improve fertility and longevity while maintaining the thickness, bone and massiveness and REA found in most of the 122l progeny, I would look into a bull like World Class 10H. I guess I am partial to maternal bulls though.

Brian

Because of their dam's 517 pedigree combined with Online's pedigree, I think I am satisfied with all the categories you have listed except for longevity and eyeset of which I am not sure yet. I am leaning to Neon or Rambo for some strange reason. How do you think they would combine?

They may very well work well for what you are trying to do. But for my money I tend to pass on the highly promoted high priced semen on unproven bulls. They may very well be the next great bull of the breed, but the track record of those overhyped show bulls over the years hasn't been all that stellar. I have seen a few good individuals of Neon, but have never had the chance to see a big group of calves sired by him running on minimal inputs. Lots of bulls can throw a good one now and then, but how many throw aways are there in the contemporary group?

Brian

What do you guys know about the SHF Marshall bull I have heard good things about him any suggestions

No, the "knock" that Channing got at a few shows from the judges was that he wasn't big enough for them. Moler was bigger(framier) than Channing was at the same age. In my judgment, Bright Future would have dwarfed Channing in both length and height when I saw Bright Future at Fort Worth. Bright Future is just a BIG bull! He also has sired the top sire group at Star Lake for the last two years, according to their sale catalog.

George

I really like length more than many traits. Do you know of a bull longer than Bright Future that is very dark red?

greenwillowhereford II":1w9r4sbl said:
Of all the bulls mentioned thus far, Neon and Rambo would probably get my vote. Why not throw Yankee into the mix as well.

Now, given the choice you face, I would unhesitatingly breed them to the Day 943 bull, who would correct EVERY Online flaw besides the eyeset IMO. He would certainly add fertility, doability, and longevity, and should help their marbling scores at the same time. Throw the EPDs out the window on him, he is not from a TPR herd, and I used his half brother and proved that his progeny would outgrow the big name big EPD boys in the same pasture. (Spanked ANL Quest head to head)

Yankee is also in the running. Why do you like Neon and his sons? Do you have a photo of 943?

I forgot his name but it was Denver's National Reserve Champ in I think 2007 he was reserve to Reload, and Bright Future was second in the 2 year old class that year as well. That was a hell of a bull I thought he should have won it all.

I would use Neon but you will most likeygo with a polled bull. I think Rambo is to framey and to overpriced for semen. I like the looks of him and of progeny but cant make myself spend that kind of money for semen.

Neon still has lower B.W. and great Y.W. numbers and carcass to back it up. He will not take off the extra leather up front if the heifers have that. He will staighten out most of the other things if they have them.

Just my two cents.

I think I could get polled with Neon. I would be dissatisified if I received horned. I agree on Rambo and Online, both expensive. I would say Neon is very close to the top of the list. Leather up front is not believed to be an issue. Can you provide any more info on Neon that is not available on the AHA site?

shutskytj":2kcroh06 said:
I forgot his name but it was Denver's National Reserve Champ in I think 2007 he was reserve to Reload, and Bright Future was second in the 2 year old class that year as well. That was a be nice of a bull I thought he should have won it all.

The Reserve Champion Polled bull in 2007 was SR CG HARD ROCK 5073.

They may very well work well for what you are trying to do. But for my money I tend to pass on the highly promoted high priced semen on unproven bulls. They may very well be the next great bull of the breed, but the track record of those overhyped show bulls over the years hasn't been all that stellar. I have seen a few good individuals of Neon, but have never had the chance to see a big group of calves sired by him running on minimal inputs. Lots of bulls can throw a good one now and then, but how many throw aways are there in the contemporary group?

Brian

Don't you think 10H throws excess milk and therefore would waste energy if combined with sufficient milk? What about using 517 himself....in other words, do you see allot of value in 10H's dam?

shutskytj":3uqfne25 said:
What do you guys know about the SHF Marshall bull I have heard good things about him any suggestions

I like him. This time, I prefer additional excitement.

I like him. This time, I prefer additional excitement

Can you be more specific, what do you like about his calves, and how does he change them

shutskytj":9qoj2g60 said:
Can you be more specific, what do you like about his calves, and how does he change them

Jeff, S&S Farms, who posts here, owns an interest in Marshall. I'd ask him for specifics.

I saw the bull when he sold in Denver and liked him then. He's always been on a short list of bulls I'd like to try, but I think at this point, I'd opt to use his son, Phoenix, instead.

George

This is more of a question than an answer, but, other than being unproven, why do I never hear anything about the Ontime 934s bull? I'm no purebred enthusiast or breeder and know very little about the purebred industry, just wondering if there is something I'm missing.

dyates":2m329878 said:
This is more of a question than an answer, but, other than being unproven, why do I never hear anything about the Ontime 934s bull? I'm no purebred enthusiast or breeder and know very little about the purebred industry, just wondering if there is something I'm missing.

Do you know the prefix of the bull's name?

HerefordSire":1fzhiuya said:
dyates":1fzhiuya said:

Do you know the prefix of the bull's name?

Beckley 758P Ontime 934S

HS: There is a pic of the 943 bull in the July '08 Hereford World, full page and color. He was eight at the time the pic was taken, and his dam is now 16. Linebred, no creep, no pampering. Good feet, flawless udders, exceptional thickness.

BTW, the Quest bull mentioned earlier was not too far removed from 20X in the pedigree.

KNERSIE":2tkqyai2 said:
quote="KNERSIE"]Depending on the quality of your heifers...

....if really oustanding (not just on paper) I'll breed them to BR DM Channing ET, if not breed to a bull to correct their faults
(which will most likely be poor eyeset and a break in the topline just behind the shoulders and a lack of doing ability, like most other 122L offspring)

Re-read the first sentence of my post.[/quote]

I didn't miss what you wrote, I just have a different a perspective on it. If your lucky enough to have dodged those not so good genetics in him the first time around, and have some decent females, think yourself lucky and move on, choose a bull that strong in the areas where Online was weak, so you improve the genetics in that area in those calves.

I would recommend using a higher calving ease bull on these heifers. I know you are shooting for big birth weights but that is something to shy away from with heifers no matter how big they are. So before experimenting I would shoot for something that will help prevent assistance at birth. A bull that I like and think would also achieve what you are looking for is STAR OBF Bogart 5L. He is a long bodied broody CS Boomer 29F son.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 3&9=525C52