Online 122L Heifers -- Recommend Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
I would like to experiment with my Online heifers when I artificially inseminate them soon. Nothing would be too agressive, such that I would consider Online 122L again. Anything I breed would be retained for further experimentation. I do not intend to have them flushed this time. Without regards to birth weight, what Hereford bull would you recommend?

Herefords.US":2ilxt0vx said:
Without regard to BW and large mature size, I'd breed them to Bright Future - for experimental purposes.

George

Any particular reason? What about Stockmaster 512?

HerefordSire":2hnup6cg said:

For experimental reasons, you would be linebreeding Online. Bright Future has a great phenotype and is passing it along to his calves, as well as great growth. I would bet on phenomenal results, if the large mature size(most likely) of the offspring didn't bother you.

The 512 mating would definitely be experimental, but it violates one of the tenants of linebreeding, where the offspring would have more than 50% of the blood of one of their ancestors. I would only do that if I was thinking of using 512 as the very basis of a linebreeding program and was doing a genetic check for faults and/or disorders related to him.

George

If you really want to experiment try my Churchill bull, he won't hurt those epd's you like, [to bad anyways :)] he would double you up on Keynote, and for a short time semen will be very reasonably priced.

rocket2222":309uwjoh said:
If you really want to experiment try my Churchill bull, he won't hurt those epd's you like, [to bad anyways :)] he would double you up on Keynote, and for a short time semen will be very reasonably priced.

I like the 517 influence very much but not the P606. I know the P606 hang-up is contrary to most breeders with experience. What is your explanation for your bull being so thick and deep?

Herefords.US":25nxpzjo said:
HerefordSire":25nxpzjo said:

For experimental reasons, you would be linebreeding Online. Bright Future has a great phenotype and is passing it along to his calves, as well as great growth. I would bet on phenomenal results, if the large mature size(most likely) of the offspring didn't bother you.

The 512 mating would definitely be experimental, but it violates one of the tenants of linebreeding, where the offspring would have more than 50% of the blood of one of their ancestors. I would only do that if I was thinking of using 512 as the very basis of a linebreeding program and was doing a genetic check for faults and/or disorders related to him.

George

One of the non-obvious reasons I like EF Frank is because he is linebred over the 50% limit. I think I may be one of those breeders that is a little unorthodox. I wouldn't mind running up to the 90% range just to see what I find out.

Is there a better looking bull besides Bright Future?

Depending on the quality of your heifers...

....if really oustanding (not just on paper) I'll breed them to BR DM Channing ET, if not breed to a bull to correct their faults (which will most likely be poor eyeset and a break in the topline just behind the shoulders and a lack of doing ability, like most other 122L offspring)

KNERSIE":rv5adp3p said:

....if really oustanding (not just on paper) I'll breed them to BR DM Channing ET, if not breed to a bull to correct their faults (which will most likely be poor eyeset and a break in the topline just behind the shoulders and a lack of doing ability, like most other 122L offspring)

Why do you like Channing? Do you know which bulls have the darkest red coloring in the breed? How about the best eyeset in the breed?

nap":31jvjg7v said:
Hey Herefordsire, how about posting some pictures of these heifers?

I will see what I can do. So far this year there are almost 100 calves born of Online. Semen is listed for $1K per straw. I believe I was able to purchase semen before his death for $250 per straw. This could make the value of Channing, Bright Future, etc. escalate in value.

KNERSIE":ze1me5pb said:

Channing would likely have been my personal choice as well, but knowing that HS likes 'em big, I went with Bright Future instead. :)

George

Online daughter matings to me would mean that as a rule, depending on what their mothers were, would
mean that I would want to reduce the bw, improve eyeset and pigment on eyes and scrotal, add more red marking to legs and neck, improve udders, improve feet and legs, improve calf vigor, improve fertility and longevity while maintaining the thickness, bone and massiveness and REA found in most of the 122l progeny, I would look into a bull like World Class 10H. I guess I am partial to maternal bulls though.

Brian

HerefordSire":3ld6s35o said:
I like the 517 influence very much but not the P606. I know the P606 hang-up is contrary to most breeders with experience. What is your explanation for your bull being so thick and deep?

That's the way it goes some times, if we all liked the same bulls, and have the same goals and ideas of what direction to choose and how we get there, it would be pretty boring. I've seen some P606 calves that I didn't like too well, I think is reputation for good uddered females maybe had some breeders keeping and selling some calves that should have gone to the local sale barn. On the other hand, I've seen some really good ones, seems like when they're good, they're really good. So why did the bull I have turn out the way he did, well, good genetics, and a lot of the credit has to go to the breeder, some breeders programs are just better than others, that goes back to choosing the right genetics again. Oh! and I lucked out. :D

Herefords.US":30ukbcv2 said:
KNERSIE":30ukbcv2 said:

Channing would likely have been my personal choice as well, but knowing that HS likes 'em big, I went with Bright Future instead. :)

George

Interesting. I think I still have some Channing semen in the tank. What is the frame difference in Bright Future and Channing? Is the frame size difference attributed to the dam's side of the two bulls?

Herefords.US":3k387lvs said:
KNERSIE":3k387lvs said:

George

You'll have to help me out on this one :lol: This is interesting, you list Online's typical offspring's faults, then recommend Online sons to breed the online cows too. I know he said "experiment", I thought the general idea was to try and breed out the faults first, and start with the best genetics BEFORE you start linebreeding, I didn't realize you compounded them first, then try to breed them out :? :dunce: :D

smnherf":8d95sdnh said:
Online daughter matings to me would mean that as a rule, depending on what their mothers were, would
mean that I would want to reduce the bw, improve eyeset and pigment on eyes and scrotal, add more red marking to legs and neck, improve udders, improve feet and legs, improve calf vigor, improve fertility and longevity while maintaining the thickness, bone and massiveness and REA found in most of the 122l progeny, I would look into a bull like World Class 10H. I guess I am partial to maternal bulls though.

Brian

Because of their dam's 517 pedigree combined with Online's pedigree, I think I am satisfied with all the categories you have listed except for longevity and eyeset of which I am not sure yet. I am leaning to Neon or Rambo for some strange reason. How do you think they would combine?

HerefordSire":3gffgvwa said:
Herefords.US":3gffgvwa said:
KNERSIE":3gffgvwa said:

George

Interesting. I think I still have some Channing semen in the tank. What is the frame difference in Bright Future and Channing? Is the frame size difference attributed to the dam's side of the two bulls?

No, the "knock" that Channing got at a few shows from the judges was that he wasn't big enough for them. Moler was bigger(framier) than Channing was at the same age. In my judgment, Bright Future would have dwarfed Channing in both length and height when I saw Bright Future at Fort Worth. Bright Future is just a BIG bull! He also has sired the top sire group at Star Lake for the last two years, according to their sale catalog.

George

Of all the bulls mentioned thus far, Neon and Rambo would probably get my vote. Why not throw Yankee into the mix as well.

Now, given the choice you face, I would unhesitatingly breed them to the Day 943 bull, who would correct EVERY Online flaw besides the eyeset IMO. He would certainly add fertility, doability, and longevity, and should help their marbling scores at the same time. Throw the EPDs out the window on him, he is not from a TPR herd, and I used his half brother and proved that his progeny would outgrow the big name big EPD boys in the same pasture. (Spanked ANL Quest head to head)

rocket2222":2mx62xvj said:
Herefords.US":2mx62xvj said:
KNERSIE":2mx62xvj said:

....if really oustanding (not just on paper) I'll breed them to BR DM Channing ET, if not breed to a bull to correct their faults
(which will most likely be poor eyeset and a break in the topline just behind the shoulders and a lack of doing ability, like most other 122L offspring)

George

You'll have to help me out on this one :lol: This is interesting, you list Online's typical offspring's faults, then recommend Online sons to breed the online cows too. I know he said "experiment", I thought the general idea was to try and breed out the faults first, and start with the best genetics BEFORE you start linebreeding, I didn't realize you compounded them first, then try to breed them out :? :dunce: :D

Re-read the first sentence of my post.

Latest posts