One swollen and tender knee in 18-DO calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Boots Farm

Reaction score
We have a large Holstein/Char. cross bottle calf (born Jan 5 @ 150 lb.) who was doing terrific up until today; big eater and likes to cavort around his stall and act like a big shot. Tonight we noticed he was much tamer and seemed to favor one leg a little. I palpated his leg and noted one knee was tender and somewhat swollen. He let me lift both legs in turn without objecting. Ate just as happily, isn't hunching, otherwise normal except for the lameness and quietness; he didn't scamper around like usual after eating. I didn't take his temp yet, and the barn is closed or I would have checked his naval (didn't read info on joint ill until I came in). I wonder if he might have fallen on his knee?

It's just like an active toddler... when they're quiet you worry almost more!

Checking with the vet tomorrow but any thoughts or things to check for would be welcome.

Thanks!

Joint/navel ill is the first thing that comes to my mind.. With cattle everything is possible is what I've learned.. Seems like you have a good plan!

Calf knee seemed less tender and swollen this morning. He puts weight on it, and you can really only tell it's tender when you press on the knee. Umbilical area seemed dry and clean, not tender or weepy -- like a soft grape covered with skin. He isn't leaping around like he had been, but he has a frisky attitude and as usual was very hungry. There is a patch in the middle of the stall that he kicks the straw away from and it's hard. I do wonder if he slipped and banged his knee. I'll keep an eye on it.

IMO you should check its temp ASAP and treat with antibiotics if it is elevated. If the temp is normal, waiting may be okay. Costs nothing but a couple of minutes to check and the benefits can be enormous.

If it is from a navel infection, the joint symptoms indicate it is spreading and untreated it could result in permanent issues or death. The longer you wait, the harder it is to treat because antibiotics have a hard time getting to the joint area where the infection is.

Temp 102.3 -- perfectly normal. Calf is leaping around like usual now and reacts less to pressing on his knee. I'm guessing he took a tumble. Thanks for the advice -- always good to play it safe!

Latest posts