One of those unbelievable things

Help Support CattleToday:

You just dont need to worry about me and keep your mouth shunt. You probably dont know what it means yourself. And probably could not pass the test youself. BUD

I will read what i want to and talk to who i want to. And if you will notice. when you referr talking to cattleman i have not been asking you for any advice. So i think the best thing for you and me both would be to just not worry about the other. But you do what you want. Because i am.

Cypress, the man is very lucky to have your wife as a co-worker and you to help him out. Good luck with it.

StepperBCS is Body Condition Score. if you check out the link that Caustic posted, it is very informative.

Katherine

Dang I have to go to work and this one might get interesting :)

Sounds like those pictures we had of that bull in Florida. Sad when you see cattle like that. We have a neighbor that pushes the envelope with his cattle. Not bad enough to call the law but just bad enough to make a sad look on your face. He just over grazes to many head to an acre.

Caustic Burno":10ytegbv said:
TheBullLady":10ytegbv said:
Kudos to you for helping the cows out! Unfortunately they can't tell the owner what they need. Some people never cease to amaze me.. I can't understand how they can look at cattle like that every day and think they are "ok".

Now having said that, 85-90% of the people who are buying ranches right and left in central Texas know nothing about cattle or their care. And a lot of them think they are too smart to ask anyone else for help.

This is where I have to agree with Black Power should not be able to purchase cattle with out passing a test. Some people are just to stupid to have stock, if you can't tell thats a poor animal then he is to stupid. Cypress he is lucky I don't live by him as I would of already put the law on him.

I agree with you there Caustic. Isn't it plain common sense to know that if an animal is thin they need food??? :shock:

Cypress, My gut feeling with this feller is even though you're going to be assisting him, he needs to get out of the Cattle business by tomorrow.You are not going to be able to hold his hand from now until who knows when, and oversee he's going to start caring and seeing after his stock. Nor is it your responsibility.This is the type person that needs to find another hobby. Something that wont cause any type of animal harm.

Caustic Bruno,

I want to appologize for what i said to you. After thinking about wise crack's that you have made to me. I realized that i dont know nothing at all about you. So i really dont know how to take what you said. Maybe you are joking or maybe you are tring to put me down. I dont know but, i do appologize.

I am new to the cattle business, but i am not new when it come's to being arround live stock. I was raised a farm boy and am not a stranger to hard work. I have been working for farmer's since i was 10 year's old and was raised on a small farm from birth. But as far as having any experience knowing how to take care of cattle. I have very little of that. But i feel pretty confident that i can learn. I have horse's and they are all well taken care of. And i know quite a bit about them now. But at one time i did not know much about them. Kind of like where i am at now with cattle.

That is the reason i am here at this site tring to learn. So that is why i took offense to your remark's. I welcome your help and advice. But if all you have to say to me is to cut me down then like i said in a earlier reply i dont need that from you or anyone else. And i treat people the way i would want to be treated. With respect, but at the same time if they want to disrespect me then i can dish it right back to them. So that is all i have to say.

Stepper - just wanted to let you know that was one heck of a thing you did. I have seen a few new members get mad, blow a fuse, and leave. Can't recall too many of them apologizing. You just redeemed yourself a little in my eyes. Takes a big person to admit they were wrong. A lot of people have taken offense with Caustic. Personally, I would like to meet the man. He may be gruff and rough but you know where you stand with him. He doesn't speak out of both sides of his face. Look beyond the gruffness and you'll be able to learn a lot. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I appreciated seeing the apology even if no one else noticed.

Stepper,

BCS is the easiest way for people to talk about what condition cows are in. Check out this link, it has pictures of each BCS:

http://www.admani.com/alliancebeef/Body ... coring.htm

Crowder, the guy in question isn't lazy, he just doesn't know what to do. For example, he was going out a lifting up the cow every morning (before his work) and evening so she could stand for a while, and the calf could suck. Not something a
lazy" person would do. His father in law's farm has hundreds of tools, many of which I haven't even seen. He was using a tool that locked on the cows hips (& then he tightened a little) to lift her up with a small tractor. The father in law obviously knew cattle from looking at the place, and this guy is just trying to fill in. However, he's in way over his head. My intentions were to show him some things to do, and let him take it from there. I'll send him an e-mail from time to time to see how things are going, and even ride out every once in a while. If it does turn out that he just can't hack it, I may have to make the call, as I don't want emaciated animals on my conscience(SP)
He is a prime candidate for the cattleman's class.

But, you can always learn something, right. I learned from him that he was buying 14% pellet feed from a local place for $80/ton. If I would have taken the money I spent on ryegrass seed and fertilizer, I could have bought 10 tons of feed this winter. I'm still running the numbers; he!!, he may have hit on a cheaper way to winter cattle. Oh, and since I wouldn't take any money from him for helping, I now have access to all of the above mentioned equipment if I ever need it. May come in handy one day.

Cypress.....have you turned him on to this site yet? This is by far one the easiest places to learn about cattle, especially for beginners. There prob ain't too many questions and/or situations concerning cows that hasn't been asked and answered in here. Anytime someone asks me where they can learn about cows, I always recommend this forum.

Cypress, have him mix the dry electrolytes in their feed or pour it over the top of the grain. Also if they have a water tank he could add a few packages to it.

I guess that's probably the worst thing about me, nothing around here starves. Maybe that's why my animals aren't leaning on the fences or going through it. Even the fish in the pond get hi protein dog food about twice a week. I'm glad you're helping out.

CYPRESS.. I think the best thing you could do for your friend is to make a deal on them cows..at least You know they will be looked after right.

Caustic Burno":1l1xaxrb said:
cypressfarms":1l1xaxrb said:
My wife has a co-worker who was forced to take over about 20 head of cattle because of his father in law's health.

He doesn't really know much of anything about cattle, but was hoping to make it through calving season, and sell off most of them. He and I e-mail back and forth a lot, and I try to help him out as much as I can.

Last week, he had a cow go down. She had a 1 month old calf at her side. I asked him numerous questions (thanks also to advice from msscamp, milkmaid, and crowder!), talked to two of my vets, and yesterday finally made it out to try and help. As soon as I arrived I knew what was wrong. The best of his cows were a BCS of 2.5, and that was his best. Most you could see all of their ribs, backbone, tailbone, and just about every other bone. He managed to have 7 calves safely, and they all looked o.k. Poor cows were giving everything they had to the calves to the point of dying. I gave the cow in question a tube of calcium paste, some electrolytes, and a shot of vitamin B complex. Got her up and she immediately began eating.

I also made him take away his salt blocks and put out loose minerals. He has some pelletized feed (14% protein that costs him only $80/ton), but hasn't been giving enough. His pastures look like a concrete parking lot, and they have been getting last years sqaures bales with salt. It's a wonder more aren't dead. I actually offered to buy all of his cows, and bring them to my place, I felt so sorry for them, but he didn't want to.

He is a very intelligent person, and couldn't find a nicer guy; he's obviously uncomfortable taking care of the cattle. He won't even give injections.

In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna go over and work all of them for him. It takes all kinds guess, but this poor guy is in way over his head. I left somewhat depressed, as no animal should be in that condition. Even though people make fun of the "Master Cattleman" class, he's a prime candidate for it, as he has no basic knowledge of cattle.

Oh well, just thought I'd share a story

Anyone that lets cattle get in that shape should be whipped with a bull whip, then taken to the woods a large pine should be cut down and his gonads stapled to the stump gasoline should be poured around the stump and he should be given a butter knife right before you set the gasoline off.

Caustic. You must be Bi-Polar or something. You can go from having some of the most insightful cattle advice to posting ignorant trash like this.

eric":1ebykqia said:
Cypress.....have you turned him on to this site yet? This is by far one the easiest places to learn about cattle, especially for beginners. There prob ain't too many questions and/or situations concerning cows that hasn't been asked and answered in here. Anytime someone asks me where they can learn about cows, I always recommend this forum.

Yeah, one of the first things I did was to tell him aboutthis site. I thought since he was a programmer and spent time on the computer, it would help him out.

Good idea MoGal! Never thought of sprinkling it over the food.

Frenchie, I wish he would sell, but he doesn't want to. These are a mixture of everything too, not something that would bring decent money at an auction, but I'd rather have them at my place, and get them in good shape and cull the bad ones.
He has a hereford bull. The downed cow looked like a black baldie, but was kind of lightly tiger striped. What was amazing is that every calf thrown by this bull (except a lighter calf mothered by a charolais) had the color and markings of a full hereford. He has no hereford cows. This one still has me puzzled.

lakading":zt6gde82 said:
Caustic Burno":zt6gde82 said:
cypressfarms":zt6gde82 said:
My wife has a co-worker who was forced to take over about 20 head of cattle because of his father in law's health.

He doesn't really know much of anything about cattle, but was hoping to make it through calving season, and sell off most of them. He and I e-mail back and forth a lot, and I try to help him out as much as I can.

Last week, he had a cow go down. She had a 1 month old calf at her side. I asked him numerous questions (thanks also to advice from msscamp, milkmaid, and crowder!), talked to two of my vets, and yesterday finally made it out to try and help. As soon as I arrived I knew what was wrong. The best of his cows were a BCS of 2.5, and that was his best. Most you could see all of their ribs, backbone, tailbone, and just about every other bone. He managed to have 7 calves safely, and they all looked o.k. Poor cows were giving everything they had to the calves to the point of dying. I gave the cow in question a tube of calcium paste, some electrolytes, and a shot of vitamin B complex. Got her up and she immediately began eating.

I also made him take away his salt blocks and put out loose minerals. He has some pelletized feed (14% protein that costs him only $80/ton), but hasn't been giving enough. His pastures look like a concrete parking lot, and they have been getting last years sqaures bales with salt. It's a wonder more aren't dead. I actually offered to buy all of his cows, and bring them to my place, I felt so sorry for them, but he didn't want to.

He is a very intelligent person, and couldn't find a nicer guy; he's obviously uncomfortable taking care of the cattle. He won't even give injections.

In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna go over and work all of them for him. It takes all kinds guess, but this poor guy is in way over his head. I left somewhat depressed, as no animal should be in that condition. Even though people make fun of the "Master Cattleman" class, he's a prime candidate for it, as he has no basic knowledge of cattle.

Anyone that lets cattle get in that shape should be whipped with a bull whip, then taken to the woods a large pine should be cut down and his gonads stapled to the stump gasoline should be poured around the stump and he should be given a butter knife right before you set the gasoline off.

Caustic. You must be Bi-Polar or something. You can go from having some of the most insightful cattle advice to posting ignorant trash like this.

Your to not worth a reply. ESABATM.

Caustic Burno":hg2t48st said:
lakading":hg2t48st said:
Caustic Burno":hg2t48st said:
cypressfarms":hg2t48st said:

Your to not worth a reply. ESABATM.

What does that mean?

you fellers ought to know that arguing with caustic is like teaching a pig too sing it dont do nothing but flusterate you. he's good at getting your blood pumping though ;-)

Latest posts