One of those unbelievable things

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":zle2l6lb said:
you fellers ought to know that arguing with caustic is like teaching a pig too sing it dont do nothing but flusterate you. he's good at getting your blood pumping though ;-)

Not arguing and not flustered. Just calling a spade a spade. I thought his post was rediculous for a number of reasons.

First, I want to commend Cypress for what he is doing. If not for someone taking me under his wing and for this board, I would be struggling even more than I already am. As for Caustic, the man gives out great advise without any sugar coating, so if he wants to call me a hobbiest or an amateur or whatever, I'll take it just as long as I can get the benefit of his experience. As for Stepper, your apology shows character, something the world has become a little short of.
Now that we've gotten this group hug out of the way, thanks for those links about BCS. I had already been using this method but had no idea what it was called or how it was numbered. My girls still have the woolly winter coat, but I would rate them a 7. I can see no bones or ribs and only the shape of the hooks and pins. I can't really tell about muscle definition through all that fur, but I can tell they are neither bony nor obese. Ive invited my county agent to come out Monday morning and look them and the place over. I hope to learn a lot more then.

Stepper, nice to see the apology, not an easy thing to do but it shows character.
What may seem like nasty posts from Caustic are simply Caustic telling it how he sees it, whether one agrees or not. I like that about his posts, harsh at times but straight forward.

ericgood idea about suggesting this forum. Stupid me never thought of that in this case.

Cypressthere may be hope for this man, especially if it is indeed something he truly is interested in doing. He has a prime opportunity here, being well supplied with tool etc. as well as someone willing to help show the way. I hope all turns out well in the end.

Katherine

Cypress.......thanks for posting that website with BCS's. I was pretty off on my thinking........I would have given the 8 more like a 6. I have kept my cows a little two fat I think. Even though this winter I moved them to almost nothing but hay and they still stay fat. Just easy keepers I guess.

I can not imagine a body score of 1 or 2 even being able to get pregnant.

Cypress - I wish the world had more people like you. Please keep us posted on how this all works out.

"But Bret, no offense, rarely do I do things because of some sort of reward. Always despised "brown nosing"; the way I see it, what comes around goes around. Maybe one day I might need some help and someone may give it to me. "

No offense taken. You are right.

Bret

glad to hear the guys cows are doing better, some times people need aliite help getting off the ground, good for you !!!! I can't count the times i have jerked my boots on and went to a friends house to help with a horse or mule,my daughter is working on her vet schooling and works for a vet, always bouncing something off her in the middle of a field on the cell phones LOL.. i spent as many nights in jane's barn with sick horses/donk as i have my own.. { i got my own blankie up there LOL} but thats what you do.. never know when it my be you and a bad shape.. farmer friends you cant beat um! and for the cows who need a friend, thanks! Rose :cboy:

aplusmnt":2jr0xa78 said:
I can not imagine a body score of 1 or 2 even being able to get pregnant.

His father in law just got real sick in the fall (2005), and this guy (I got to remember not to post his name) took over. My guess is that last year his cows were in good health; all of them have calved or are heavy bred now. They would not have been all cycle being BCS 2's last spring. They probably started declining in Nov or Dec 2005, and as soon as the calves started sucking on them the bottom just fell out. Just my guess. Got another e-mail from him this afternoon, seems the old girl got up herself this morning; I'm feeling better already. Hopefully in a couple of months I'll take some pics and post; If I did it now, the posts would get ugly quick.

Still don't understand how that hereford bull can throw all hereford marked & colored calves bred to these motley mix of cows.

hereford coloration is very strong.

you get the good semaritan award for the week of (whatever this week is, lol).

Hasbeen":1gkbbrio said:
First, I want to commend Cypress for what he is doing. If not for someone taking me under his wing and for this board, I would be struggling even more than I already am. As for Caustic, the man gives out great advise without any sugar coating, so if he wants to call me a hobbiest or an amateur or whatever, I'll take it just as long as I can get the benefit of his experience. As for Stepper, your apology shows character, something the world has become a little short of.
Now that we've gotten this group hug out of the way, thanks for those links about BCS. I had already been using this method but had no idea what it was called or how it was numbered. My girls still have the woolly winter coat, but I would rate them a 7. I can see no bones or ribs and only the shape of the hooks and pins. I can't really tell about muscle definition through all that fur, but I can tell they are neither bony nor obese. Ive invited my county agent to come out Monday morning and look them and the place over. I hope to learn a lot more then.

7 is getting on the high side Hossfly that opens up another can of worms like my girls 5.5 to a 6.0.

Caustic Burno":203wwrjx said:
Hasbeen":203wwrjx said:
I had already been using this method but had no idea what it was called or how it was numbered. My girls still have the woolly winter coat, but I would rate them a 7. I can see no bones or ribs and only the shape of the hooks and pins. I can't really tell about muscle definition through all that fur, but I can tell they are neither bony nor obese. Ive invited my county agent to come out Monday morning and look them and the place over. I hope to learn a lot more then.

7 is getting on the high side Hossfly that opens up another can of worms like my girls 5.5 to a 6.0.

I'll ask my county agent about it Monday. I readily admit to being an amateur and with all the long hair on them right now it's hard to tell. The hay I have left over is really poor quality in my opinion and I may be overcompensating with the feed bucket. My vet said they looked ok two weeks ago and agreed with you. In fact, he said he would rather have them a little on the skinny side when bred and then gain weight during pregnancy.

lakading":13uo6jpy said:
ALACOWMAN":13uo6jpy said:
you fellers ought to know that arguing with caustic is like teaching a pig too sing it dont do nothing but flusterate you. he's good at getting your blood pumping though ;-)

Not arguing and not flustered. Just calling a spade a spade. I thought his post was rediculous for a number of reasons.
don't underestimate him just when you think he's out of his head he'll pull some valuable information out of his a$$ ;-)

Cypress, You show your good heart regularly. Been following this post, reading the links provided, and just wanted to say thanks for sharing this info and subject.

Cyp, you are the best judge because you have had contact with this guy, but my feelings run with CB's when it comes to people who let cattle get to that point. What if you hadn't come on the scene? Anyone who should own cattle would have done something waaay before they got down to a 2. He could have contacted a vet, neighbours etc..

It's called common sense, and if it was lacking over nutrition, what next? Lack of responsibility and negligence are more likely to be the cause of these animals suffering rather than a lack of knowledge.

Too many people "experimenting" at the animals expense. A lot of us are in this to try and make a living, so when our industry can be critiscized ( and justifiably ) for causing unnecessary suffering, I take it seriously. We have enough enemies outside the business! No sense giving them ammo!

Stepper - using that kind of language in here can get you turfed - you will lose a valuable resource over stupidity. Lots of ladies and young people use this board. Your apology is noted, and hopefully you won't have to demonstrate that kind of courage again! :)

I run my cows between a 5-6 through winter. Sometimes more to the 5 side depending on hay. The cows BCS will go up in summer on pasture of course. I grain my heifers, but won't let them get to a 7 ( or try not to ). Too much fat built up too fast can plug udders I am told.

This could partly be from the guy beeing ''barn blind''. If these are the only cattle he sees or knows about he has nothing to judge them by. If he drove up to our place and saw cattle like that he would be shocked :shock: by there looks. The ones in his care have deteriated a little each day and he has ignored the total loss of weight. Is his fatherinlaw still alive? If the cattle are not OWNED by him ,he may be holding down the cost to the detriment of the cattle. If you gave him a rough guidline as to the feed needs you should see a fairly quick improvement in the cattle. I think you are doing the proper thing giving him the benifit of the doubt!

mwj":2voubek0 said:
This could partly be from the guy beeing ''barn blind''. If these are the only cattle he sees or knows about he has nothing to judge them by. If he drove up to our place and saw cattle like that he would be shocked :shock: by there looks. The ones in his care have deteriated a little each day and he has ignored the total loss of weight. Is his fatherinlaw still alive? If the cattle are not OWNED by him ,he may be holding down the cost to the detriment of the cattle. If you gave him a rough guidline as to the feed needs you should see a fairly quick improvement in the cattle. I think you are doing the proper thing giving him the benifit of the doubt!

Father in law is still alive, just not doing well enough to care for animals. I don't think he is purposely holding down costs; I think he just didn't realize what nutrition cows needed, and by the time he asked for help, the cows are all in bad shape. That's why I offered to buy them all. Not my type of cows, but I figured I could do a better job. He insisted, that he wanted to keep them for now, so I tried to help as best as I could. Good thing is that the grass is already starting to come in, and he's noticed a difference in them just in the four or five days that he's been feeding them correctly. (When I showed up many of them were lethargic, and I believe on the verge of just collapsing)

The important thing is that this appears to have a good ending, at least for now. I'll keep an eye on him, but e-mailing me asking me if he should give his cattle crushed oyster shells because he heard it was good for them still tells me he has a long way to go. I'm gonna try to get him enrolled in the next cattleman's class.

cypressfarms,

Thanks very much for the link. It is very informitative. And i think that is really great the way you are helping that fella out. You sit an example that we all should strive to follow.

Caustic Burno":pi3090dl said:

OK, got my first visit from the Ag Agent today. He said he would rate them 5-6. Said they were fine, keep doing what I was doing.

Update about downed cow:

She is no longer down! She jumps up at first sight of this guy coming, and waiting in line to be fed. He says his other cows are doing better as well, since he started giving more of the 14% feed ration to them, and kept loose minerals out. He did ask me if they always ate that much loose minerals. Hah. I told him that they would only hog it down until their needs were taken care of, and then they would slow down on their intake.

Looks like they may all pull through. Now, In a few weeks, I'll make sure they all get their shots, and show him how to do it. From then, he's on his own, but it sure is nice to know you made a difference.

cypressfarms":27u78309 said:
Update about downed cow:

She is no longer down! She jumps up at first sight of this guy coming, and waiting in line to be fed. He says his other cows are doing better as well, since he started giving more of the 14% feed ration to them, and kept loose minerals out. He did ask me if they always ate that much loose minerals. Hah. I told him that they would only hog it down until their needs were taken care of, and then they would slow down on their intake.

Looks like they may all pull through. Now, In a few weeks, I'll make sure they all get their shots, and show him how to do it. From then, he's on his own, but it sure is nice to know you made a difference.

Good news and good job!

Latest posts