One of the best leopard pictures I've ever taken

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn":2fnzqqoh said:
Jogeephus":2fnzqqoh said:
Magnificent photo! About how many hours do you reckon you have invested in that photo? (Meaning with camera in hand)

Hey Jo,

On this particular trip I spent 20 days in the park with an average of 12 hours per day on game drives, so about 240 hours "work" for this pic... :shock:

This is another picture of the same leopard taken right after the good picture. Leopards (unlike lions who will lay right in the road and make you drive around them- seriously) only stick around for less than a minute when you spot them. I have lots of pictures of leopards walking away from me exactly like this one.

I suspected it was a lot. People often look at good photos like yours and never think about the time and effort it took to capture that moment. I know some wildlife photographers who might sit for hours waiting on that money shot. I'm sure luck can play a part but I suspect most of these good money shots come from a huge investment in time and a good dose of stubbornness from the photographer. Well done!

A very nice picture, leopards are not the easiest to catch on film, even the melanistic I had on the Ranch in Rhodesia, I was never able to get a clear photo over the 5 years she lived in a rock shelter about a mile from the house. The farm in Okahanja Namibia only had cheetah but is now all barbel (sharptooth catfish) and Talapia as the ranch is now under the Omatako dam.

millstreaminn":213felsw said:
bball":213felsw said:
What was the distance between you and the leopard? Fantastic photograph!

About 20 feet. I was driving down the road and passed the leopard without seeing him (happens all the time I'm sure). About 50 more feet down the road a bushbuck was alarm calling (kinda sounds like a dogs bark) and looking back in the direction I just came from. I stopped, backed up and there the leopard stood in the brush along the road.

Congratulations! Way to be in tune with your environment. I figured you were quite close.

Latest posts