One Eyed Jack 3/4 Simmental bull we raised.

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
This is a One Eyed Jack X GW Lucky Man bull calf we just weaned this week. I think I`ll be ordering more OEJ semen this fall.

This is a OEJ heifer, out of a first calf heifer, weighed 84 pounds

do87di.jpg

her today, about 4 days old (not sure how it got sideways...)
1z5jfhz.jpg

At $50 a straw, we were selective with who we used it on. We had one conception out of 5 straws, not the best of luck!

That's a real nice heifer. I agree It seems like several of the Simmy bulls I like are a little pricey. I will probably go ahead though with hopes of good conception and hope for heifers I have more A.I calves coming this fall by Pays to Believe , Card Uproar , Bandwagon and Santa Fe. I hope to get some heifers since the 2 Upgrade calves were both bulls.

Those Sante Fe likely will be nice. I have heard of some great reviews about him. The Uproars have been a bit disappointing, hopefully you have some good luck with him (again, another Upgrade sired bull). Bandwagon seems to be doing a nice job with his first calf crop, so I look forward to seeing more out of him.
I always like the Pays to Dream/ Pays to Believe stuff. I have Pays to Dream in my tank, and like what I have gotten out of him so far....
Keep us posted!

I have to agree on the Card Uproars. Had one last year that looked great and grew well but toed out really bad in front so we didn't keep her. All the other out of the same cow have been really sound. I thought I would try again since I already had another straw. The Bandwagon is due in a couple of weeks out of a Built Right cow again hoping for a baldy heifer.

jd720":312lu4n2 said:
This is a One Eyed Jack X GW Lucky Man bull calf we just weaned this week. I think I`ll be ordering more OEJ semen this fall.

Nice calf. He is the right kind regardless of color and breed.

We have had quite a few calves by OEJ's sire, Long's Shear Pleasure... and have liked them - several of the heifers will be calving out this coming spring. I just wasn't about to pay $100/unit for semen on an unproven yearling bull... not sure that I'd pay the $50 he's going for now. But... my wife bought some Milestone semen, and she paid well over $100/unit for it, so who am I to say anything...?

Lucky_P":1rr8mvk6 said:
We have had quite a few calves by OEJ's sire, Long's Shear Pleasure... and have liked them - several of the heifers will be calving out this coming spring. I just wasn't about to pay $100/unit for semen on an unproven yearling bull... not sure that I'd pay the $50 he's going for now. But... my wife bought some Milestone semen, and she paid well over $100/unit for it, so who am I to say anything...?

Just saw some Milestone semen is selling in the Midwest Fall Round Up Sale on Oct 2nd, if you want more!
http://www.livestockdirect.net/projects ... 16/catalog

Just wanted to show an updated picture of this bull. He is a little over 10 months old now and seems to be looking the part for our next herd bull. been trying to get a good picture but he didn`t cooperate till today.

Did you see his EPD's went in the tank? I was not happy to see that. Hooks Broadway also hit the floor, I will not buy more of his semen. To bad!
Your bull looks good, btw.

FlyingLSimmentals":1rs1d7tr said:
Wow, Broadway did hit the floor. Bet Select Sires didn't like that. Remember when Star Power bottomed. Really shocking when they bottom so fast.

Yea, I hate that. We have had ONE bull calf, out of a heifer, that was only 49 pounds, so small. I have a heifer due in January, and just bred a heifer the week before the new EPD's came out and of course she stuck! So, I will watch them a little closer, but I suspect they will calve just fine. Before using Broadway, I talked with JW Brune about him. He told me Cow Camp Ranch had a pasture full of heifers that were bred to him (like 30), and all calved unassisted with no problems. He himself used several canes of him, and had no problems what so ever. So I would venture to say he will be like Grandmaster. We have used Grandmaster on heifers and never touched a one either, but his EPD's hit the tank. So I use him with limitations.

FlyingLSimmentals":2eo33mlg said:
Wow, Broadway did hit the floor. Bet Select Sires didn't like that. Remember when Star Power bottomed. Really shocking when they bottom so fast.

I have two cows that have passed 21 days post AI bred to Broadway this fall. Those new CE numbers are a concern. I had one Broadway calf this fall, the one that had to be euthanized, he weighed 71 pounds so that is reassuring.

Has anyone had any more Broadway calves born if so what was the birthweights I have heard some horror stories and have a heifer due next month to him Thanks

Latest posts