One CAB Opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeC

Reaction score
"Most consumers and even many barbecue cooks believe incorrectly that CAB is Prime Grade. Of course, that is exactly what CAB wants consumers to believe (and it is the reason that CAB itself does not usually label the USDA Grade on its products).

CAB is only one of the many branded beef programs. Sterling Silver and others are also widely available."

If these people are wrong.......someone needs to correct them.
:lol:

http://www.steakperfection.com/grade/

Most consumers have no idea what prime or choice is. They buy the beef that the believe will be the best eating experience or the cheapest beef they can afford. Rightly or wrongly Angus or CAB has become the known brand for quality beef. If the other breed/marketing groups would get their rears in gear they could make an imlact. It would take time, but they're starting way behind AAA. Shortsightedness on the part of the others isn;t any reason to criticize AAA.

Shortsightedness on the part of the others isn;t any reason to criticize AAA.

You are so right, Dun..............

But is "Integrity", or lack of, a good reason to criticize? ;-)

MikeC":216jw545 said:

Has nothing to do with integrity. People believe in the easter bunny and that fords and chevy are made in the US. I forgot, all semi automatics are evil assault weapons. People will believe what they're conditioned to believe from what they consider reliable sources. I've talk to some of these typical consumers that think that select is a higher grade themn choice.
If people want to believe that black equals angus and angus is better then the others, big deal. It's the other associations that are turning the breeds black to take advantage of CAB that have no integrity. So far Hereford, Red Angus and maybe murrey grey are about the only breeds left that aren;t interjecting black.

dun":zk6qv0x2 said:
MikeC":zk6qv0x2 said:

Has nothing to do with integrity. People believe in the easter bunny and that fords and chevy are made in the US. I forgot, all semi automatics are evil assault weapons. People will believe what they're conditioned to believe from what they consider reliable sources. I've talk to some of these typical consumers that think that select is a higher grade themn choice.
If people want to believe that black equals angus and angus is better then the others, big deal. It's the other associations that are turning the breeds black to take advantage of CAB that have no integrity. So far Hereford, Red Angus and maybe murrey grey are about the only breeds left that aren;t interjecting black.

Hate to tell you this dun, but people have bred multi-colored cows to black bulls for a long time to get black calves and conform the group the using the dominant black genetic coloring in calves for marketing purposes even before CAB was a twinkle in someones' eye.

My dad did it and he's older than me!

MikeC":30czr1zk said:
Hate to tell you this dun, but people have bred multi-colored cows to black bulls for a long time to get black calves and conform the group the using the dominant black genetic coloring in calves for marketing purposes even before CAB was a twinkle in someones' eye.

But how many black Simmenthal, Gelbvieh, Saler, Charolais were there pre-CAB?

dun":oyccczjc said:
MikeC":oyccczjc said:

But how many black Simmenthal, Gelbvieh, Saler, Charolais were there pre-CAB?

CAB didn't catch on until the late 1990's. In fact, the CAB-Choice spread in 1999 was about $0.

There were several breeds going black before that.

"The first Chianina born in the U.S. was a black half-blood Chianina X Angus/Holstein bull calf born on January 31, 1972."

Here's another CAB opinion: best steak you can get in this one horse town. And every other town in a 100 mile radius.

I usually stay out of this, but here goes.

People believe in the easter bunny and that fords and chevy are made in the US.

Here's the point. How would you feel if you found out that the Ford you were driving was just a Chevy that was "certified" to be a Ford? Or that it was just any car from anywhere that “met Ford’s standards” and was therefore certified to be a Ford? I know I’d feel mighty foolish driving up in a Fiat claiming to all my friends that it was my new Ford.

From certifiedangusbeef.com

The Certified Angus Beef ® brand is a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select, so you can be sure every bite is flavorful, tender and juicy.
I personally find this statement misleading.

I guess I wouldn't really have a problem with the name so much if it were called anything besides Certified Angus Beef. The name itself implies to the average consumer that they certifying that this beef came from an Angus. Brand name it anything that doesn’t mislead.

I won’t argue that the program has done good things for the beef industry. I do maintain that one day some overzealous group will raise a huge stink about the fact that all of the animals are not Angus and the whole beef industry knew this was being deliberately misconstrued to the public. It will give all of us a huge black eye and quite possibly undo all the good the program had done. I can just see the piece on 60 Minutes now and they won’t stop until they dig up every piece of dirt in the industry.

Just my humble opinions. I know that most will never change their minds. It’s all I have to say on the subject now or in the future.

Have a wonderful day.

MikeC how old are you? You state a lot of good info, that I agree with....But I remenber when a man saw a black cow it was Angus....Of course I come from a simple place and for the most part simple people...Black cows Angus, Red and whites ..Herefords, and the rest milkers...The import of these fancy cows(cont) them big white onesworked for some, but as for me I still like my black ones....and all the data ain't going to change that....

I also usually avoid this argument, but the use of the word meaningless was unfortunate. Integrity is never meaningless, the people that are upset with CAB are mainly upset because they see it as false advertising, all CAB is not angus or even angus genetics.

They could solve this easily by insisting on this in the standards instead of the disingenous Black hided criteria.

Ever been to a large slaughter plant and seen the people working on the floor? They may be experts on dissasembling carcasses, but I doubt many of them know beans about breed charactoristics.

If someone were to call Bill O'Reilly and point this out, the ballgame would be over. I think the Angus Assoc. should change this on their own, before that does happen.

It is not really about the beef, it is about selling Bulls to commercial guys as has been pointed out many times on here.

I am an angus breeder by the way, and I think the program needs to be honest for all involved.

I never buy filet minion..much.. except when it cost the same as ribeye per pound. Ingles will let it go cheap when it is at it's best. Everyone knows what Ingles sells. It ws the best meat we had had in a while as it was allowed to age.

It will never be agreed to but the simple fact is we don't allow our meat to age as we did back years before.

Angus/Brangus":25k6vcm3 said:
KMacGinley":25k6vcm3 said:
I also usually avoid this argument, but the use of the word meaningless was unfortunate. Integrity is never meaningless, the people that are upset with CAB are mainly upset because they see it as false advertising, all CAB is not angus or even angus genetics.

They could solve this easily by insisting on this in the standards instead of the disingenous Black hided criteria.

Ever been to a large slaughter plant and seen the people working on the floor? They may be experts on dissasembling carcasses, but I doubt many of them know beans about breed charactoristics.

If someone were to call Bill O'Reilly and point this out, the ballgame would be over. I think the Angus Assoc. should change this on their own, before that does happen.

It is not really about the beef, it is about selling Bulls to commercial guys as has been pointed out many times on here.

I am an angus breeder by the way, and I think the program needs to be honest for all involved.

Yes, it is meaningless when the purpose of the issue is simply to stir up a pot of argument for the sake of argument. Those whose hearts are really into shutting down CAB should spend their time complaining to Montel Williams or maybe Jerry Springer.

Does CAB spell out their program on their website? Yep. Is their enough room on a beef label to do the same? Nope. I suppose they could hand out a brochure on every piece of meat sold, explaining what the criteria were for the branding. People would still buy it. By the tons :lol: I'd like nothing more than to see non-angus meat tossed out of the program. Have packers buy only from certified angus breeders (tested annually) and let the price drive up to pay for it all and pay the producers even a higher premium at the same time.

Let the others form a label called "Black Cow Meat".

Now, next time you go buy a John Deere I hope you jump up and down because he didn't tell you that the engine was made in Mexico when your pre-conceived notion was that it was a fine American made product.
How much room does it take to say From 50% black hided animals?
Many JD engines are now made In India. So what is your point here? I see nothing in the name that remotely implies anything, unlike the subject a hand. Many tractors have the country where parts were made cast permanently into the particular part. They are not trying to hide anything. I have seen the Yanmar name right on the side of a JD engine
The entire CAB program started as an intentional way to fool the public. Some call it good marketing, people with ethics have a different point of view.
Another point is that CAB included other breeds in their product. Some say it was to fill market demand. That does not hold water either, as this was preconcieved before they had any idea what market demand would be. With the tremendous numbers of regestered angus cattle and the pure bred angus added in, then add in the red angus, there would shurely be enough to fill the market when they first conceived the plan.

Angus/Brangus":3drl84ks said:
MikeC":3drl84ks said:
"Most consumers and even many barbecue cooks believe incorrectly that CAB is Prime Grade. Of course, that is exactly what CAB wants consumers to believe (and it is the reason that CAB itself does not usually label the USDA Grade on its products).

CAB is only one of the many branded beef programs. Sterling Silver and others are also widely available."

If these people are wrong.......someone needs to correct them.
:lol:

From the website:

"The Certified Angus Beef ® brand is a
cut above USDA Prime,
Choice and Select,
so you can be sure every bite is flavorful, tender and juicy. Beef must pass 10 additional specifications to earn the name. In fact, only 8% of all beef meets the
Certified Angus Beef ® brand’s high standards.

Also from their website:

"When it comes to USDA graded beef, more than half ends up as USDA Choice. Within Choice are three additional levels of quality. The majority of Choice cuts only make the
minimum requirements, rising just above Select. Fortunately, some rise to the top, barely missing Prime.
“That’s quite a spread in quality, yet it is all sold as Choice,” says Chef Dianna Stoffer, with CAB. “It’s the reason the CAB brand accepts only beef that grades USDA Prime and the top levels of USDA Choice, and meets our other strict quality standards. It’s the only way to ensure consistent outstanding quality.”

I guess if it's not true then someone needs to correct the thousands of folks who buy it over and over and over again. :lol: :lol: :lol: And also while the majority of fine restuarants are serving it :lol: :lol: Or better yet, call the CAB President and tell him its really not Prime/Choice. :roll: :roll:
http://www.steakperfection.com/grade/
You can have 10,000 inspectors on choice meat. You still cannot make choice into prime. Prime is what they want people to think they are getting, and they are not.

"Can,t make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

I won’t argue that the program has done good things for the beef industry.

I will. There are several breed associations currently spending millions of dollars on the development of black haired animals, only to gain a few cents at the market. That same money could be spent in other areas that would promote the breed, quality for instance.
Others are buying Angus cattle on the pure assumption they will produce quality meat. They have no plan in mind, breeding stock randomly giving no consideration to the quality of cattle they are producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.