Once in a lifetime dream hunt................

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1n2us4ff said:
I don't even like to shoot feral hogs to just kill to rot. Wish the state could come with a real control method for them.

I have gotten to the point that I only will kill something that is harmful. Such as the feral hog situation and I am completely sympathetic to finding a better control method. I am sure you don't do it because you like to.

ga.prime":i7ljrcon said:
TennesseeTuxedo":i7ljrcon said:
bird dog":i7ljrcon said:
I fail to see the entertainment value in shooting a magnificent animal like that. Now if she wants to hunt some hogs, I'm your man.

An article I read said an old bull giraffe like this one doesn't breed anymore and actually kills the younger bulls that are crucial to propagate the species.
Don't know why I'm jumping on this merry go round of imbeciles, but yes, reportedly he had already killed three younger breeding bulls and was sanctioned for extermination by the South African authorities. Probably not for free either.

Its not my cup of tea but those hunts are important to protecting those animals. As said, the meat usually goes to the local villages and they don't just shoot random animals. The money for these hunts goes toward the conservation effort also.

A lot of these animals would not be thriving today if not for these hunters.

Caustic Burno":lc37f5vx said:
Wonder how the breed survived before being sold off in big game hunts?
Sounds more like a convenient way to sell giraffe hunts.
The same way coyotes in California or any population explosion of humans that take their habitat.
I know someone who has a mounted giraffe. Said they hated shooting it, but saw what doing it did for the community and the animal was no longer fertile and was old. Just like the cattle business, you wouldn't keep a bull around that isn't productive. If someone came to your place and said, I'll give you 20,000 to shoot that bull.....would you do it even if you're sending him off for slaughter for 98 cents a pound?

cowgirl8":k14uqz6e said:
Caustic Burno":k14uqz6e said:
Wonder how the breed survived before being sold off in big game hunts?
Sounds more like a convenient way to sell giraffe hunts.
The same way coyotes in California or any population explosion of humans that take their habitat.
I know someone who has a mounted giraffe. Said they hated shooting it, but saw what doing it did for the community and the animal was no longer fertile and was old. Just like the cattle business, you wouldn't keep a bull around that isn't productive. If someone came to your place and said, I'll give you 20,000 to shoot that bull.....would you do it even if you're sending him off for slaughter for 98 cents a pound?

No I wouldn't some things are not about money. It's not the demise of the bull that bothers me, it's the type person that enjoys the canned hunt that does.
IMOO these type hunts hurt the ethical Hunter.
Nuff said as no ones opinion is going to change.

Caustic Burno":1t61uzoc said:
I don't even like to shoot feral hogs to just kill to rot. Wish the state could come with a real control method for them.

I feel pretty dam good when one of my Remedy/diesel/Sendero treated trees dies and falls over and/or when ol Bucky floats up a day or 2 later after I hit him with buckshot or I find him in a conibear bloatin up, honestly...I'm all grins.

If ethics are such a big deal, why is it that they have no trouble shooting a buck on its way in to there ''feeder'' for some corn? Is that why they are a nuisance ?

mwj":3clmg1ga said:
If ethics are such a big deal, why is it that they have no trouble shooting a buck on its way in to there ''feeder'' for some corn? Is that why they are a nuisance ?

It doesn't have to be a buck for me.
I am going to put two in the freezer regardless of sex. After that I am back to chasing tree rats.

mwj":g9j3ej8t said:

Ethics is a matter of personal opinion. Nothing more. Some hunters believe hunting with anything other than a spear is unsporting. The next guy wants the buck to walk into his freezer and dress himself.

Caustic Burno":1bhu0f9j said:
mwj":1bhu0f9j said:

I am going to put two in the freezer regardless of sex. After that I am back to chasing tree rats.

I am not much of a hunter, but have no problem at all with folks that hunt responsibly, which I think most do. I don't know about any area other than around these parts, but deer are pretty numerous, in spite of deer hunting being very popular. While I love to see them, I know that they do cause damage to crops, gardens and fences, and hunting does help control the population which I think probably keeps down diseases as well.

Thing that worries me is CWD chronic wasting disease. Just now starting to hear of it as a problem in Texas. It supposed only effects cervids. They are ruminants as well. I know of no problems yet in domestic livestock. We didn't deal with lepto until feral hogs got so bad.

Caustic Burno":32xtgauv said:
mwj":32xtgauv said:

Come on CB get real. You come all the way out here to central Texas to hunt a high fence ranch and kill what they call cull bucks. Probably not very good eating either but you get the thrill of the kill and the rack.

TexasBred":2n633btg said:
Caustic Burno":2n633btg said:
mwj":2n633btg said:

Come on CB get real. You come all the way out here to central Texas to hunt a high fence ranch and kill what they call cull bucks. Probably not very good eating either but you get the thrill of the kill and the rack.

I wish I could still drive out there.
Be two years this October since I have been to Central or South.
I haven't been able to handle a deer by myself in almost ten years. If you remember I went to geriatric bow hunting several years ago.
Like looking at different country.
The thrill was Jose skinning and quartering it TB.

Caustic Burno":1vnt3bxg said:
TexasBred":1vnt3bxg said:
Caustic Burno":1vnt3bxg said:

I wish I could still drive out there.
Be two years this October since I have been to Central or South.
I haven't been able to handle a deer by myself in almost ten years. If you remember I went to geriatric bow hunting several years ago.
Like looking at different country.
The thrill was Jose skinning and quartering it TB.
:clap: :clap: I hear ya.

snoopdog":2am0h926 said:
I had a chance to ride a giraffe once , but I had had about 5 too many and chickened out .

You made a typo snoop. :lol2:

snoopdog":2am0h926 said:
I had a chance to ride a giraffe once , but I had had about 5 too few and chickened out .

JMJ Farms":15mzx9cm said:
snoopdog":15mzx9cm said:
I had a chance to ride a giraffe once , but I had had about 5 too many and chickened out .

snoopdog":15mzx9cm said:
I had a chance to ride a giraffe once , but I had had about 5 too few and chickened out .

That would be a heck of a fall if you got bucked off.

Caustic Burno":2y72olbd said:
JMJ Farms":2y72olbd said:
snoopdog":2y72olbd said:

snoopdog":2y72olbd said:

Yes sir it would CB. You'd have a few seconds on the ride down to reminisce on your choices before the sudden stop.

Caustic Burno":1b2vcmj8 said:
JMJ Farms":1b2vcmj8 said:
snoopdog":1b2vcmj8 said:

snoopdog":1b2vcmj8 said:

Kinda what I thought . Me and another fellow were friends with a guy who ran a drive thru safari . Had the occasion to help unload a jaguar once , unloaded the small cage to the big cage. Said kitty was mad, and attempted to come out , friend slammed the door on the big cage , but it didn't latch , and bounced back open . Everything came out ok, but ole snoopy was in the truck !

snoopdog":3ijg216a said:
Caustic Burno":3ijg216a said:
JMJ Farms":3ijg216a said:

Kinda what I thought . Me and another fellow were friends with a guy who ran a drive thru safari . Had the occasion to help unload a jaguar once , unloaded the small cage to the big cage. Said kitty was mad, and attempted to come out , friend slammed the door on the big cage , but it didn't latch , and bounced back open . Everything came out ok, but ole snoopy was in the truck !

:lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts